News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fame and Glory (within my writing class)!!!Take my Interview please!

Started by Kathleen MacFerno, May 03, 2010, 04:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kathleen MacFerno

Hello all,

Most of you probably don't know me (I work at CoRF in Arsene's show) but I am going to ask for your help anyways because I know how generous this group is  :) I am working on a social sciences paper for my writing class and because I'm so eager for faire (7 weeks!) I couldn't help my self and chose to study people who go to renaissance faires. So I'm going to post this interview and hope you kind people will help me out and by sharing your thoughts. The only information I can use is from people who have attended more than one faire in a single year or have attended a single faire 4+ days in its season, if these conditions don't apply to you but you want to fill it out please do, just let me know that. Anyway, I've posted it here. If you would like to fill it out I would appreciate it very much. Also, if you do take it and feel so inclined, info like age, gender, hometown, home faire, number of days spent at faire per year, and number of faires attended per year would help me greatly. Lastly, I think I will just identify people by their profile name in my paper for sake of ease and anonymity but if you would prefer otherwise just let me know. THANK YOU!!!

**required disclaimer** By completing the following questions, you are also granting consent for this information to be used as part of a research exercise that I am completing for my WRIT class at the University of Denver.  Your participation is completely voluntary.  The information you provide may be used in a class project.  While profile information may be included in my writing project (i.e. your age, gender, class standing, etc.), your name will NOT be used.  If at any time you do not want to answer a question, you do not have to.

1) Why did you first decide to visit a renaissance faire?
2) What brings you back again each year?
3) What do you do when you are not at faire (work, school, etc)?
4) Tell me about the kinds of people you have met through faire. Are they different from the people you with whom you interact on a regular basis in your in day to day life? How so?
5) I have heard that there are many different social groups and hierarchies within renaissance festivals (i.e. boothies, patrons, court, etc). Do you think these exist, describe them?
6) What, would you say, are three characteristics of the average renaissance faire enthusiast?
7) In your opinion, what makes someone a rennie (rather than a patron, playtron, mundane, etc)?

analise

I had just moved to Maryland and a friend was visiting me. We were trying to decide what to do for the weekend and my landlady said, "why don't you go the renaissance festival?" My ears perked up, "there's a renaissance festival???" I'd heard of them (and read about them in Mercedes Lackey's Bedlam's Bard books) but had never been near one before. We pounced on the idea and by the end of our first day at faire, we both had our very first sets of garb. And I've never looked back. :)

So I can watch "Fight School" again and again. :)

Or, more seriously, the friends I've made there. I really feel like there's something to the notion of "faire family" and while I LOVE the music and the art and the acts and the food, even...it's the people that keep bringing me back.

I'm a federal employee, so I've got your typical 9-5, 5 days a week desk job. I just finished up an evening school program to get my Master's degree. And I volunteer with a local draft horse rescue.

4) Tell me about the kinds of people you have met through faire. Are they different from the people you with whom you interact on a regular basis in your in day to day life? How so?
A large part of me feels like they're only different in the sense that they like to go dress up in renaissance-esque clothing on the weekends. ;)

And, of course, sometimes the real life people and the "faire people" merge unexpectedly. Like Halloween last year when a guy in my office (who I would NEVER have suspected to even go to the faire, Not That There's Anything Wrong With That) showed up in full garb regalia.

There are people who are Different, I suppose, but not really in any fundamental thing that makes them different as people. It's only that the faire culture seems to be more open an accepting of a wider range of "types" than perhaps other groups or cultures might be.

5) I have heard that there are many different social groups and hierarchies within renaissance festivals (i.e. boothies, patrons, court, etc). Do you think these exist, describe them?
I wouldn't call them hierarchies. I mean...I don't feel like any particular group feels they're "above" another group (or, at least, it hasn't been my experience). There are definitely different groups though there could be some blending.

For example, I consider myself a patron but I work part time in a booth and hang out with friends who manage other booths so I'm sure someone out there would consider me a "boothie".

6) What, would you say, are three characteristics of the average renaissance faire enthusiast?
They probably enjoy the outlandish (not necessarily to DO it, but to experience it, sure.).
They probably have more than a passing interest in history.
They probably are generous (with time, or money, or talent, or...something. It seems like everyone I've met at faire has been pretty generous in some aspect or another).

7) In your opinion, what makes someone a rennie (rather than a patron, playtron, mundane, etc)?
That's kind of difficult but I'll muddle my way through.
A mundane, to me, is someone who doesn't go to renaissance festivals at all. Maybe they've been once because someone dragged them along, but it didn't catch and hold their interest long enough for it to stick and they aren't at all motivated to go again.

A patron is someone who goes to the festival regularly. Maybe only once a year, but they make the time to go and they enjoy going.

A playtron is a patron who takes it a step up. (or: all playtrons are patrons but not all patrons are playtrons) They go often, they wear garb, they might even make an effort to try and attend other faires.

A rennie...I'd probably say playtron is a superset of rennie like patron is superset of playtron. They go often, they wear garb, and they DO attend other faires, probably enough that they're pretty much attending faire in some form or fashion practically year-round. I'd possibly also consider many boothies and performers rennies as well (depending a lot upon whether it's "just a job" for them or more of a life's calling. :) Like...some friends I have in one booth, I'd call playtrons or boothies but maybe not rennies as I've explained it here. The folks I work for, however, I'd think of as out-and-out rennies.).

And, for the record, I am female, 26, in central Maryland, home faire is MDRF, and...I probably spend 16 or 17 days at MDRF every year (I try to go every single weekend it's open but sometimes stuff comes up and I can't make it.).

If you include faerie festivals, I'd probably say I usually go to about three "faires" per year. I've visited other faires in the past (ie. TNRF and VARF) but am not able to make those treks on a continuing basis so I've been sticking with things like MDRF, Maryland Faerie Festival, Spoutwood, and Faeriecon. Also the Potomac Celtic Festival (not really a faire, but caters to a similar crowd).

Kathleen MacFerno

Oh this is just wonderful! Thank you so much for your help! I wish this wasn't over the internet so I could bribe/thank you all with delicious cookies  ;)

Lady Kett

You could post pictures of cookies at least! :)

Sent you a PM....

auntiegiggles

Everything goes better with giggles

Kathleen MacFerno

you are all just so helpful! Oh I knew I could count on rennies! Now I'm even more ready for faire to start (I didn't think it was possible)! Thank you all again and again and again and if anyone else cares to contribute please do!

Elennare

My disclaimer, before I answer the questions:  I haven't actually been to a faire for a couple of years (much sadness!) but I have in the past attended multiple faires in one year.

Very first time: because my parents decided to take the family.  First time recently: because the stage combat troupe I joined in college ran a booth there.

It's fun!  I really like getting the chance to dress up.  If I'm working at the faire, I love having the opportunity to perform.  I also enjoy the shows and looking at all the interesting stuff for sale.  I also like the chance to hang out with my friends and do stuff we don't always do everyday.

I'm an engineer

Hmmm...can't say I have a good answer to this one.  Assuming you're talking about the random people I bump into at faire, I'd say the environment is so different from "everyday" that I have no idea.  If you're talking about friends made specifically at faire, this question doesn't apply.

If they do, I've never experienced them.

What is this "average" you speak of? :)

I think a rennie is anyone who enjoys the faire, and regularly participates in it.  So, everyone in your second list *could* be included as "rennie."
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

DonaCatalina

I had a friend in the SCA who was involved with Scarborough's Inception and convinced me to try it.

The opportunity to wear my garb and see old and new friends

I work in sales.

I have met everyone from a Baroness to a bowling alley repairman. One thing they have in common is the ability to use their imagination and intelligence to have fun.

Yes and No, we all share an interest in hsitory and faire, but there are specifics where we differ. i.e. I am more interested in garb of a certain time period and that is my hobby. Someone else may be more interested in weapons, etc.
  1. open mindedness
  2. and interest in history
  3. a smidgeon of exhibitionism
  Short version- Rennie implies a person who works at a Faire or has worked at a Faire even if part time, or been involved with the Faire to the entent of being an unpaid cast member.

Playtron pays their own way in, sometimes every day the faire is open. and usually goes to great deal of effort with their garb.

Patron comes one or more a year and spends minimal effort on garb.

Mundane- may come once- in tow behind someone else and may or may not evolve into one of the former groups
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Kathleen MacFerno

I just want to thank eveyone again for all your help!!! I finished the paper today and am quite pleased with it! Unfortunately I didn;t get to quote every interview but I did read them all and use all of your info for general results. It came out to something like 13 pages (only had to 7) and 26 with all you interviews in the appendix. If you'd like to read it I could send it to you but for now just thanks agian! You guys are all so great!

Lady Kett