News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How do you do you hair for faire?

Started by Adriana Rose, May 04, 2010, 05:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyFae

I used to spend a lot of time working on braids and gathering them up and stuff- then covered it all with a hat!  =P  I wised up and figured out not to waste my time on the cute braids and pretty hair and just shove it all under a snood now!  Well, that is when I'm a noble.  When I'm a fairy it all depends on how I'm feeling and how much time I have before heading to Fest.  I like to do curls and half up/half down.  If it is crazy hot I'll put it all up, some times in pigtail buns, some times in a 'fancy updo.'  Other times I'll just let it hang wild.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Trillium

I just wear down, my normal way, with a chainmail headpiece to keep it out of my way.  If in gypsy glamour, I also wear a scarf.  If showing my fae self, I pull the top back to cover the elastic from my horns.
Got faerie dust?

ladyecho

Most of the time I just wear my hair down. If I have the money I'll pay the ladies at faire to braid my hair. My hair absolutly refuses to curl (GRRR!!!). So long and straight is the only way.

Athena

I usually wear my hair up (much more comfortable in the summer) under a wrap, turban, or hat.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

CapnFayeCutler

Depends on the outfit, the weather, the mood... Sometimes I'll let it go curly, sometimes I put it up and wear my faire hair, sometimes I'll straighten it, sometimes I'll go with a wig if it's not sweltering hot...

...and then sometimes I just get lazy and let the wild beast roam free! (Like today...seriously - it's a lion's mane!)
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Syrilla

Pads, braided, sometimes taping, buns, and twisted.  Bound by non period barrettes, bobby pins, and pony tail holders.

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: gem on May 04, 2010, 06:10:20 PM

http://www.lynnmcmasters.com/hairdo.html

And a shot of the nearly-finished style:

I started wearing mine like this last year, along with my pretty gold and pearl escoffion (from a Lynn McMaster's pattern!). What I like about this hairstyle was that after the faire, when we'd go out to eat, I could take down my hair, brush it, and have something fairly decent looking. And it stayed put all day!  ;D

Kathleen MacLeod

It all depends. If I'm coming from home or from a hotel, I'll curl it and then pin the sides back. If I'm camping on-site AKA without electricity, I usually wrap it up in a bun and hairspray it before I go to bed. When I let it down in the morning, it's kind of curly-ish and has some volume, so I call it good. If it's really hot, I just say 'Screw this' and ponytail it :)

Right now, I'm getting ready to be on court at my home faire, so I'm working with different fancy updos right now. I liked the hairdos of the ladies in waiting in Elizabeth a lot but I'm having trouble finding pictures of them online.
Sometimes you can't wait for the storm to pass; you have to just get out there and dance in the rain.

CapnFayeCutler

Here's a pretty good link for pics from the films. They have Bess's hair and some others...

http://www.costumersguide.com/cr_elizabeth.shtml (Elizabeth)

http://www.costumersguide.com/cr_elizabeth2.shtml (The Golden Age)
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Kathleen MacLeod

Sometimes you can't wait for the storm to pass; you have to just get out there and dance in the rain.

Merlin the Elder

Most of my hair has left me for parts unknown...I've more beard than hair upon my head. I figure in a couple more years I'll have a beard long enough to do a subtle comb-over... 

`til then, I let my hair (all three of them) roam free, but I'll occasionally put a few braids in my beard. Also found a very cool spiral thing-a-ma-bob (the technical name) at Scarby this year that most folks wear in their hair, but I can wear in the beard.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Lady Anna

My hair is very short. Not exactly period unless I want to pretend that I have just sold it. :) So, I wear a 3/4 wig and  put it up in the back into a snood. Makes me look as though i have long beautiful locks! :)
Lady Anna

gem

I just met Mythrin today (!!!), and she was kind enough to show off her hair (which is quite long). She had it braided into two long braids, with lengths of ribbon braided in.  Then, in about ten seconds--maybe even less!--she wrapped the braids around her head and tied the ribbons together. She says it's super-easy, period-correct, and stays put all day.  I want to try it, but my hair is layered (for mundane wear), and I'm not sure I can manage the pigtail braids.

Mythrin had a hat on in the pix we took, but here's a Ghirlandaio portrait showing more or less the same style:

Adriana Rose

This is great guys! Keep it coming its really fun to see how everyone else does it!

dragongirl

When my hair was long ( I just cut and donated over 18 inches of braid to Locks of Love), I would braid it in 2 braids and wear a kertch or a veil for my peasent look.  For a noble look I wore a caul or snood and hat.  For my pirate persona it was beaded braids, head scarves and whatever else struck my fancy.  Now that I have a graduated bob, I have figure out how to play with the front hair but hide the shorter back hair. 
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood