News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Accents!?!

Started by Pattycakes, May 05, 2010, 11:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pattycakes

I need help! I have been trying to come up with a Pirate character for me. I was thinking along the lines of "Patty the Red" as name. But, my problem is that I can not do ANY type of accents. I can't do a british accent, irish or scotish brogue. I'm lost. Do I need to have an accent? Or can I still come up with the character and eventually get the hang of an accent. I've tried and most people think I just sound slow not british, hahaha! Please help?
Patty
IWG #3749
Member of Local 13
"Not all who wander are lost"

McGuinness

Are you on cast or just going to enjoy yourself as a patron? If you are on cast, I'd say try to learn some type of accent. If you aren't, then you certainly don't need to. As a patron, you are going to enjoy yourself and shouldn't be expected to do anything other than pay your admission, be it be in costume, in character, anything.

That said, accents aren't as hard as they seem. It just takes practice. After all, you didn't learn how to speak whatever you first language was overnight so you can't be expected to learn a new one that fast (and when you get down to it, an accent IS basically a new language however based in English or whatever it is).

DonaCatalina

Some people do and some people don't.
http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=5744.0
If you're not on cast I would say go with whatever feels comfortable.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Pattycakes

No, I'm not part of the cast. I'm just a patron. But, someday I would like to be part of the cast. May be later on in the future. But, it seems like it would be so much fun. I'll keep trying and who knows maybe someday I'll get the hang of it. But, If you are at TRF and you hear a really bad accent and wonder where it's coming from, well, that'll be me! HaHaHa
Patty
IWG #3749
Member of Local 13

McGuinness

Being brave enough to try is the first step. We all have to sound bad before it gets good (you should hear the Swedish accent I'm trying to learn....yikes)

wyckdblyss

Patty...if you are doing a bad accent at TRF, you are not the only one! I am sure mine is worse...LOL
Do what makes you happy...I gave up on the accents years ago...I can't get get rid of my Texas Twang, so I decided not to bother  ;D
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

Pattycakes

Thanks, Blyss! That makes me feel alot better. I felt soo self conscious when I would try. But, yeah, I cant' get rid of my texas accent no matter what. I lived in Boston for about 6 years and people used to get a kick out of my accent. Especially since I was trying to fit in so my accent was alittle bit texan and Bostonian. Weird!!! I sounded more or less like this " Hey, ahh ya'll going to go to the pahhhty layta?" which is why so many people laughed at me.LOL!!!! I get confused like that sometimes....HaHa ;D
Patty
IWG #3749
Member of Local 13

Queen Margaret

I can help with Scottish.

The best advice ever given to me with regard to a Scottish accent was from the late Bert Pfeiffer, a much beloved member of the SRF cast for many years:

"Prrrrreetend ye've got a rotten tairnip in th' front of yer mooth an' ye're too proud tae spit it oot!"

I've been able to roll the brogue ever since.
A calm sea never made for a skillful manner. -English proverb

dragongirl

Well, It depends on what type of accent you are going for.  Now as a Texan you should try to find an accent that is closer to your natural twang and modify it from there.  Also you should try to keep with one that hear often.  Perhaps a Spanish accent?  Since you are in TX you should be used to hearing it often. 
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Queen Margaret

Quote from: dragongirl on May 21, 2010, 02:03:07 AM
Well, It depends on what type of accent you are going for.  Now as a Texan you should try to find an accent that is closer to your natural twang and modify it from there.  Also you should try to keep with one that hear often.  Perhaps a Spanish accent?  Since you are in TX you should be used to hearing it often. 

Not necessarily. The Spanish accent down here in Texas is vastly different than the one in Spain. Being in New York, you know that Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Dominicans, Mexicans, etc are distinctly different cultures even though they are all Latino.

And not ALL of us have "twangs." Spanish is not even close to the drawl down here anyway, just as all Long Island folks do not have that high nasal whine that makes them sound like geese flying south for the winter.

"Also you should try to keep with one that hear often.  Perhaps a Spanish accent?  Since you are in TX you should be used to hearing it often." Does that mean native New Yorkers are best at Italian accents because of the Mafia?  ;D
A calm sea never made for a skillful manner. -English proverb

DonaCatalina

Quote from: dragongirl on May 21, 2010, 02:03:07 AM

I do a Spanish accent, but it is waaaaay different than Mexican/Cuban/South American.
There is a slight lisp and the Y's and J's are pronounced hard as they would be in the British Isles.
Don Diego has an excellent Spanish accent, while Don Alejandro's comes across more as Basque/Northern Spain.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Queen Onyx

Quote from: Pattycakes on May 05, 2010, 11:13:43 AM
I need help! I have been trying to come up with a Pirate character for me. I was thinking along the lines of "Patty the Red" as name. But, my problem is that I can not do ANY type of accents. I can't do a british accent, irish or scotish brogue. I'm lost. Do I need to have an accent? Or can I still come up with the character and eventually get the hang of an accent. I've tried and most people think I just sound slow not british, hahaha! Please help?

no worries, you're not the only one (i grew up with a british mom and still can't do a good british accent  :P). i actually just came on here tonight looking for pointers on how to work on my ren faire accent. i get embarrassed when i try to attempt any kind of accent because it never comes out right, lol, but when i speak in my normal voice i feel like i'm not getting into the faire spirit enough, hehe.

and as to your feeling too self-conscious when you've tried an accent... yep me too! 

Lady Renee Buchanan

My husband is British, and one time at faire somebody told him to drop the fake accent because it sounded awful.

I tried for years to do a British accent, and Steve laughed at me, because I'm originally from New Jersey, and he said no British person says "foive."

So I suggest you just go and have fun and don't worry about it.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

DonaCatalina

That is too funny, especially since when I first met your husband, I told him his accent sounded English rather than what I expected from someone in Illinois. He just laughed and said that was because he was English.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Molden

I have a nice drunken slurr that seldom fails!  8)
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

crashbot

I was born in Ireland, lived there until I was 6 and spent pretty much every summer over there until I was 16 or 17. I have no accent at all and cannot do Irish to save my life.

I tend to do an exagerated Saturday Night Live "Sprokets"  German that is pretty aweful and funny at the same time.
Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire

LadyFae

The accent I can do (somewhat) it is just finding the correct words to SAY with that accent that gets me all tangled up!
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"