News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Arabian tribal bellydance?

Started by Lady L, May 06, 2010, 02:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady L

Greetings,
I am looking for some tribal bellydance music. I was looking around and wondered if anyone has heard Mezdeke Misur Danslari Arabic? I found a few on YouTube. I was looking for just instrumental, though.
Any other suggestions? TIA.  :)
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Poldugarian Warrior

This is way out there, but check yer dollar store, i just happened to be in one the other day checking the cd's , and lo and behold belly dance music, and native american flute, and some Celtic, but I have so much Celtic I let I go, but now I'm thinkin I may go back and get the Celtic one too. Well, happy hunting.

Lady L

Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen any CDs at our small dollar store.

But, I did order "Caravanserai" by Burhan Ocal from Amazon. It has several flavors to the different songs, some are more Arabian, some more Jewish, some lean toward gypsy and Turkish. They also have "Gipsy Rum" and "Sultan's Secret Door" that I may order in the future. I wanted something with a strong drum beat, but not just percussion. I listened to many samples by other musicians, but some were too modern/jazzy or too slow/contemplative for what I wanted. I also wanted something that sounded tribal/ethnic. So, I guess I am asking for a lot.  ;)

Lady L

My CD arrived today and I really like it.  :)

Poldugarian Warrior

Good, I know exactly what you mean. I don't dance to it, but I love the sound and some are too modern, or don't include enough from various ethnicities. I know people on the outside would say to us that it all sounds the same, but you are absolutely right, you can tell a Jewish tune from a Turkish tune, or gypsy/Roma tune from an Arabic tune. They have different drum modes and some have bigger strung instrument parts than others. And unfortunately you and I asked too much, but if we look real hard we'll find what we're lookign for. Happy hunting, I'll go through my collection and try to assemble a list, most are from performers here at MiRF.

Lady L

Thanks for understanding, Poldugarian Warrior!  :)

Poldugarian Warrior

No problem, I just wish more people were passionate about the purity of their music as we are.

Lady L

Do you have your list made yet? I was curious about it.
Thanks.

Poldugarian Warrior

No, I just got back up on this site, and thanks for asking since you requested I will definitely get it on here. Not tonight because I got to get to bed and go to work by 2:00pm. But, tomorrow night.

Lady L

No rush, I was just interested. Thanks.

Poldugarian Warrior

We'll here's the list, most of these are from bands that play at Michigan Renfest, but o on-line and search them out you maybe able to purchase them there.

1.) Tribal Bazaar- by Carnivale Mignoon

2.) Oracle- by djilia phralengo

3.) Eleven Lives- by Circa Paleo

4.) E Muzeki- by E Muzeki

5.) Agrafa- by E Muzeki

6.) Sindh- by E Muzeki

7.) MavraMatia- by E Muzeki

8.) Samsara- by Wine and Alchemy

9.) Turning of the Seasons- by Wine and Alchemy

10.) Magic of BellyDance- by various artists, no names given.

Lady L

Thank you! I will look them up.  ;D

Rhiannon

Another place that you might want to try is the Borders bookstore. We don't have one here in SC, but when I was living in TN I used to shop there all the time. Their music section always had a lot of belly dance music and I got to listen to tracks before I bought them. I love all belly dance music, but I'm a bigger fan of the tribal, folkloric music, more so than the Egyptian cabaret style.

A place to listen to music online is Radio Bastet:  http://www.radiobastet.com/ She plays vintage belly dance music.

Lady Nicolette

You could also try Joseph Pusey with Kevin Hylton and Bob Rice "Spice of Life,"  available at CD Baby...

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jpkhbr

And anything by Sirocco is wonderful...available through this link....

http://www.unclemafufo.com/SIROCCOmusic/bellydance_music.html
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Lady L

Thanks for the info, I will check that out! ;D

Poldugarian Warrior

I'm glad others are helping out too. I just wish people would get the conotation that it's just belly dancin music out of their heads. It's just music, and any type of dancing can be performed to it because  it's good music that compells one to dance. I know I do when I start hearing it, but I don't dance because I'd look funny a guy dressed in full leather armor dancing, but I do feel it in my mind and soul.

Lady L

Go on, start dancing, you know you want to.... ;D

Lady Nicolette

John Compton of Hahbi 'Ru is highly respected in the belly dance world...Here's a clip of him and his wonderful troupe of dancers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8e-Ew8XLPk
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Rhiannon

Quote from: Poldugarian Warrior on July 02, 2010, 03:36:00 AM
I do feel it in my mind and soul.

I understand completely how you feel. Every time I hear the music it calls to my soul and I just have to dance, Middle Eastern and North African music seems to have that effect on a lot of people.

Poldugarian Warrior

Yeah, I dance when I'm not in my full armor garb, but when in pirate or swordman garb all bets are off.. You just can't help it. I'm the same way with Bluegrass music, instrumental stuff is just awesome. It's like Celtic, but with twang.

Lady L

I would think Bluegrass is similar to Celtic, since they were Scotch/Irish. Right? :)

I guess it would be a bit difficult to dance while in armor...

I was watching PBS a week or so ago and they had a show with Chet Atkins on. I love the way he plays guitar. He makes it look effortless.

Poldugarian Warrior

It's surprising, but country is just like Celtic, but played a little different, like maybe the whiskey was made a little stronger here in the states, so Celtic needed to made made faster and edgier and come to think of it that could be, Irish Whiskey is very smooth, but American whiskey(bourbon) is a little rougher. Yeah, most of the Appalachian Mountains were settled by the Scots and Irish. Dancing in armor yep, did it once, did that song the Cha-cha-slide at a renfest cast party, never again in armor though, very uncomfortable. Chet Atkins is one of the greats of country music. Gotta string up my acoustic one of these days, have the strings on the electrics and mandolin, but it's just not the same.

Lady L