News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Arabian tribal bellydance?

Started by Lady L, May 06, 2010, 02:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poldugarian Warrior

I'm glad others are helping out too. I just wish people would get the conotation that it's just belly dancin music out of their heads. It's just music, and any type of dancing can be performed to it because  it's good music that compells one to dance. I know I do when I start hearing it, but I don't dance because I'd look funny a guy dressed in full leather armor dancing, but I do feel it in my mind and soul.

Lady L

Go on, start dancing, you know you want to.... ;D
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Lady Nicolette

John Compton of Hahbi 'Ru is highly respected in the belly dance world...Here's a clip of him and his wonderful troupe of dancers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8e-Ew8XLPk
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Rhiannon

Quote from: Poldugarian Warrior on July 02, 2010, 03:36:00 AM
I do feel it in my mind and soul.

I understand completely how you feel. Every time I hear the music it calls to my soul and I just have to dance, Middle Eastern and North African music seems to have that effect on a lot of people.

Poldugarian Warrior

Yeah, I dance when I'm not in my full armor garb, but when in pirate or swordman garb all bets are off.. You just can't help it. I'm the same way with Bluegrass music, instrumental stuff is just awesome. It's like Celtic, but with twang.

Lady L

I would think Bluegrass is similar to Celtic, since they were Scotch/Irish. Right? :)

I guess it would be a bit difficult to dance while in armor...

I was watching PBS a week or so ago and they had a show with Chet Atkins on. I love the way he plays guitar. He makes it look effortless.

Poldugarian Warrior

It's surprising, but country is just like Celtic, but played a little different, like maybe the whiskey was made a little stronger here in the states, so Celtic needed to made made faster and edgier and come to think of it that could be, Irish Whiskey is very smooth, but American whiskey(bourbon) is a little rougher. Yeah, most of the Appalachian Mountains were settled by the Scots and Irish. Dancing in armor yep, did it once, did that song the Cha-cha-slide at a renfest cast party, never again in armor though, very uncomfortable. Chet Atkins is one of the greats of country music. Gotta string up my acoustic one of these days, have the strings on the electrics and mandolin, but it's just not the same.

Lady L