News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"The Pillars of the Earth"

Started by Lord Clisto of York, May 06, 2010, 04:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Clisto of York

Hail my friends,

There will be a new 8 part Medieval mini series premiering July 23rd on Starz called "The Pillars of the Earth". The previews look really good that I have seen. It is a medieval series set in 12th century England. The Pillars of the Earth is a sweeping epic of good and evil, treachery and intrigue, violence and beauty. This sensuous, spirited and passionate story is set against a backdrop of war, religious strife and power struggles which tears lives and families apart.

Official site - http://www.the-pillars-of-the-earth.tv/

Starz site - http://www.starz.com/originals/ThePillarsOfTheEarth

Close on the heels of Spartacus - Blood and Sand, this looks to be a super period addition. I can't wait to see it.

Lord Clisto
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

renren

I've seen the commercials, and am looking forward to it!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Lady Renee Buchanan

If you asked Steve what his top 5 books were, this would definitely be in it.  He read it in no time, never took his eyes out of the book every waking minute.  When I asked him what it was about, all he would say is "Monks.  And a cathedral."  He insisted I read it when he was done, and I loved it, too. 

It will be wonderful to see the mini series.  The book was a fictional story based on Salisbury Cathedral which is less than 2 hours from his parents' home, so we've been there many times, and can relate to locations in the story.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Athena

Thanks, Renee. I've had the book for quite some time, but have been hesitant to read it. Not because it's so thick, but because historical fiction (which I very much enjoy) can be hit or miss; either very engaging or very dry. I've heard others rave about this book, so I'll start reading it, after I finish the latest installment of the Sookie Stackhouse series. Not nearly as deep as Pillars of the Earth (and a bit, um, racier), but engaging nonetheless.  :)
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Lord Clisto of York

Well, it does look very well done. I guess I know where everyone here will be on that date. LOL...

Dragonlord

So, did anyone else watch this?  I quite enjoyed it.

Lord Clisto of York

I have someone recording each episode for me. I dont have a DVR sadly. I want to see it bad though.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Just watched the first two today and it was quite good
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Zardoz

I enjoyed the book, and I think the series is good so far.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Lord Clisto of York

I still havent seen it. Waiting for some friends to get them all on DVD for me.

Luciana

I will have to see it soon because I liked the book very much.
Luciana
Gypsy Fur Trader
Ette,Divine Oracle

My goal in life is to be as good of a person
as my dog thinks I am.

LadyFae

Watched the first episode a few hours ago and now am waiting VERY impaitiently for the kids to go to bed so that I may watch episode 2.  =)  I absolutely LOVE the book!  I read it for the first time 5 years ago when I was pregnant with my first daughter.  I find it amusing that the day she was born I was at the part where Agnes had the baby then died.  My husband and my doula didn't find that very amusing though...
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

LadyFae

Episode 2 was also excellent!  Now the hard part is waiting for the rest of the series to air!
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Lord Clisto of York

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I have Direct TV, but do not have the extra movie channel packages.

I have the book, but will definitely wait to buy the series on DVD whennit comes out.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

appljx

If someone wants to watch this miniseries and doesn't have cable....

It is available on Netflix!  The hubby and I watched it weekly on Netflix, and it's available as "play it now"  :)

Celtic Lady

I loved it. Never read the book but did watch ever episode and found it to be wonderful.

LadyFae

I am SO torked that I can't watch the rest online!  =P  Oh well, now the series is added to my Christmas list!  =)
Amanda  =D

mehan

Thankx appljx - Netflix streaming rules.... when at first I added it, I inadvertently added it to my DVD queue and of course is say "unknown" - but going back and carefully adding it to my instant all eight episodes available immediately.   I canna wait!

Lord Clisto of York

I have the series on DVD thanks to some great friends of mine.

amy

Ok... I am one who has ready the book and the following book "World Without End" and I still loved the series.   I thought the casting was unbelieveably perfect (just a little off on William Hamley for me) but everyone else was perfectly as I imagined them.  I also didn't mind at all the changes they made in the story to move it along more quickly.  Adding the ring thing and Jack's near death experience really didn't bother me at all.   It summed up kind of quickly in the last episode but again.... didn't take away from the spirit of the book and just helped rush you into understanding the characters rather than discovering their personality slowly like in the book. Well done in my opinion.

mehan

Finally able to sit down and get the first two epidodes under our belt... Superb.  Amy's comments are right on target. 

Mairte

I DO want to see this so will have to make a note to put it on my netflix list.