News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I will be back for Pirate Invasion weekend! Thoughts on new costume plan?

Started by ++King of the Pirates++, May 10, 2010, 08:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

++King of the Pirates++

So I went to VARF for the first time last season and I instantly fell in love with it. Even though it was blazing that day, I HAD SO MUCH FUN! Pirate invasion weekend was fantastic!...but my outfit was not so fantastic...

So now I am back with a new outfit that is much improved! Please tell me what you think?

-Tricorner hat w/ plummage
-White peasants shirt
-Red sailor's vest w/ lace up front
-Belt
-Black cotton pirate pants
-Black boots
-Skeleton Key Ring
-Sword cleaning cloth
-Dagger
-Sword (?)
-Suede coin purse
-tribal and nautical jewelry
-Eye makeup (Definitely depends on the temperature! Last year it was forecast to be in the 70's and it ended up being like 90! :o)

So anyway, what do you all think of my improved outfit plan?
"When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears its people-there is liberty"

Pinn

I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

~pixie~

Sounds good.  I agree with Pinn though.  Pic would help!  That way, too, we'd be sure to know you when we see you!
~ Pixie ~
the wicked wench
Rose Seller VARF
IWG #785 Local 42 MDRF
aka: Gold'n Penny
Irish Penny Brigade - Clan White

++King of the Pirates++

Quote from: ~pixie~ on May 11, 2010, 12:57:09 PM
Sounds good.  I agree with Pinn though.  Pic would help!  That way, too, we'd be sure to know you when we see you!

I will post pics this afternoon. That way, you all will recognize me when you see me.  ;)

I dont have the pirate pants yet. Theyre being shipped.  :)
"When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears its people-there is liberty"

++King of the Pirates++

Here's a pic of me with my beloved hat and a pic of the shirt w/ vest and belt:

Captain Dungcaster

Sounds like you are really in the spirit! I wish to make a suggestion you go with an even more original look of a Pirate in the late 1500's to 1603 time period. I have not seen many guys try to pull that off. Basically you would scrap the 1700's gear for an authentic period look. Just a suggestion mind you. Not intended to criticize.
"Fantasy Football, Dungeons & Dragons for Jocks"
I.B.R.S.C #1068.

++King of the Pirates++

Quote from: Captain Dungcaster on May 13, 2010, 06:10:11 PM
Sounds like you are really in the spirit! I wish to make a suggestion you go with an even more original look of a Pirate in the late 1500's to 1603 time period. I have not seen many guys try to pull that off. Basically you would scrap the 1700's gear for an authentic period look. Just a suggestion mind you. Not intended to criticize.

Why thank you, I am indeed in the spirit. :)

I have a shirt that is much more "1500's-1600's". Just depends on how hot it is considering the Pirate Invasion is in June this year because it is black. Plus, I'm not sure how to go about that, as most pirates in books, the media and whatnot are colonial in appearance.

If you have costume suggestions feel free to post them. I would greatly appreciate it! :)

will paisley

Quote from: ++King of the Pirates++ on May 13, 2010, 06:47:49 PM
Quote from: Captain Dungcaster on May 13, 2010, 06:10:11 PM

Why thank you, I am indeed in the spirit. :)

I have a shirt that is much more "1500's-1600's". Just depends on how hot it is considering the Pirate Invasion is in June this year because it is black. Plus, I'm not sure how to go about that, as most pirates in books, the media and whatnot are colonial in appearance.

If you have costume suggestions feel free to post them. I would greatly appreciate it! :)

The period for the Golden Age Of Piracy is from the mid 1600s to the 1720 or so, and the dress was what eventually evolved into Colonial.  Also, pirate garb of the day was mostly just the fanciest regular clothing available.  The primary difference in the waistcoats was that the cuffs were larger.  Most of the pirates you'll see at VARF will be wearing that style (except for people wearing Halloween costume-type clothes, which may not be much more than headscarves, eyepatches and scars drawn on with an eyebrow pencil), and I'm not sure how many people would even recognize 16th century pirate garb.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

++King of the Pirates++