News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Peacock Pirate

Started by Ambrosine, May 11, 2010, 08:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambrosine

I have a new persona being developed...basically a peacock pirate. Name is Ambrosine Argus of Greek descent. I am a direct descendant of Herra's watchman Argus who had 100 eyes. To recognize his loyalty to her she immortalized his 100 eyes into the peacocks feathers....or so the legend is told in multiple ways. Soooo I'm trying to come up with some ideas and was hoping some of you might run off with the idea and help me out! I am absolutely in love with the emerald silk underbust corset at timeless-trends website but they are out of my size till who knows when. I do not want a pirate coat b/c of Florida heat being unbearable! maybe for the fall festivals but not at this time. Any ideas? I want to really blow up the peacock theme and feathers all over plus throw in a bit of greek twists......
Stitch Witch of the Harbinger

Lady Renee Buchanan

Moresca has some pretty pirate bodices that look like there are the blues and greens of peacock feathers.  You can call them, and tell them what you're looking for, and they will send you swatches.

And you can put peacock feathers in your pirate hat.  I have them in mine, bought at Hobby Lobby, and they aren't expensive.  Feather earrings, maybe a peacock feather necklace. 
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Anna Iram

Maybe an emerald green or peacock blue silk chemise instead with a black underbust bodice?

A peacock feather fan. I have one I never use and would be glad to send it to you if it would work for your character.

Ambrosine

I'm looking at other colors for the bodice now. Just really fell in love with the above mentioned. I just purchase a Japanese sandalwood fan that has a peacock laser cut. my first purchase my husband found to get me started. but thank you so much for the offer Anna, that was really sweet! I was thinking of a feather fan at first but then I saw this one. I should have it by the end of next week.

I thinking of sticking with the greens and blues and puttting in some yellow to help them really pop out. I'm not sure if I want to go more of a fantasy pirate and add some sparkle (it is a peacock after all) or go more authentic pirate look and bring in more natural effects with just the feathers. For fantasy I was thinking going more of the Venice courtesans style skirts/bloomers like the movie Dangerous Beauty. or more authentic with full skirt and using skirt hikes to add the color layers. The only thing is it should have some Greek back ground as well..maybe a little belly dance garb intertwined with a pirate style.. I have so many idea I just do not know where to start!

dragongirl

Try and find some ombre' crinkle fabric in blues, greens, and turquois.  I would either make a petal skirt and add black crinkle cotton bloomer's or have a pair of loose slops made of the ombre fabric.  I would also find a nice peacock feather and use that for the model of a temp tattoo on my forearm.  This vendor I've seen at Tuxedo and they have beautiful wears.  If you are looking for ready made peacock colors, try them.   http://www.silkcloque.com/Gallery.html
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Kate

Amber, this is gonna be gorgeous!
Kate
Pink'n Penny

Marietta Graziella

Gah!  Was just into one of those little jewelry shops ...  Two Plus Two, Topkapi... can't remember the name but... they had all kinds of peacock accessories.  Earings, hair/hat clips, elaborate necklaces, etc.  Many different styles and very inexpensive.

Ha!  Just looked it up.  Claire's Boutique.  Check 'em out!
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Ambrosine

here's a VERY quick sketch I just did with a few ideas.. I'm thinking instead of a chemise or blouse I will do a toga to wear under the corset..this way i will stay somewhat cool as well in the Florida heat. This also will tie in the Greek heritage but stay away from bellydance/gypsy look. I can easily find trim with the Greek key to edge the toga and make some custom stamps to stamp paint for other embellishments to it.. I added the half skirt like in Dangerous Beauty and I do like the idea of pants underneath...I will be doing some swashbuckling I'm sure so I need to have ease of mobility! I found an awesome peacock belt buckle on eBay that I'm going to get..I'll post pics of my pieces as they come in!

Kate

Kate
Pink'n Penny

LadyFae

Well you beat me to it!  That sketch is really close to what I was imagining while reading this!  Well done- I LOVE IT!!!!!!  I can not wait to see the finished project!
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Ambrosine

Thanks for the love! I can not wait to get started but will have to wait for next paycheck to start buying fabrics..plus I'm promised my hubby his pirate ensamble is next and then of course dear Kate your pink pirate coat (we are still going fabric shopping on the 21st right?). So for now its planning and gathering. Seems simple enough to make so it will not take long and I'm buying the corset. toga will take me all of one hour to perfect and then embellish. I did just also get a pair of antique style peacock earrings that are nice and  **SHINY** hehe! I'll post pics as I get them!

Nyneve

Don't forget to use some deep purple (the color, not the band  :D )  to "pop" as well!  You don't need to use a lot, but just a splash or two will be gorgeous...! 
I cannot believe in a God who does not Dance -Freidrich Nietzsche
The curve is more powerful than the Sword  -Mae West

Ambrosine

Received the fan on Friday...whatta ya think??

Lady Lil

Hi, I'm currently working on a Rose/pearl pirate, but I'm on hold due to finances. But, I am having so much fun sharing your excitement as I follow your progress. I think the peacock pirate is great, and can't wait so see more. Keep up the great work and keep us posted.

Lady Isabella

Lady Raven
Can't wait to see your project completed!