News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Weapons Policy

Started by MissBubu, May 12, 2010, 10:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissBubu

Not sure if I want to work Front Gate this year.

Weapons Policy:
•The Festival bans guns on our premise   
•Swords, Knives, Dirks and Daggers must be completely sheathed and peace-tied.
•Axes, Claymores, Maces, Antique Firearms, Pikes and Halberds are NOT allowed on the Festival site.
•No drawing of any weapon at any time
•Must be 18 years or older to carry a weapon

Additional questions, please contact the Festival Office
for more information.  952-445-7361

http://renaissancefest.com/MRF/generalinfo.html

Muffin

Is this different from before? Just wondering? I don't carry any weapons, so I don't know..

*great picture btw!!!!*

*edit* oh... nevermind, I missed the part about the claymores.. that wasn't there before..
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

MissBubu

Last year's weapons policy stated that no firearms were allowed, but didn't specify any of the other items banned this year. As long as it was sheathed and peace-tied, we let it in.

William_MacKean

Yup.  The axe ban is new.  I think there was an incident with a drunk and an axe.  Not sure.  Don't quote me.

As for firearms, state law requires a MANAGER to inform the person with a firearm that they are not allowed to be on site.  Legally, the front gate person can get in big trouble for infringing on the carrier's right.  And the title of 'manager' is not sufficient enough to hold up in court.  Must have management duties, responsibilities, and authority.  Also not legally obligated to inform anyone that they are carrying if asked.

MN carry law interprets as "If you don't see it, I don't have it."

BTW:
I agree with the 'No Firearm' policy.  Too many non-combatants around.  Never a need to throw bullets into a crowd.  Not with the quality of our SS crew.

Random Girl

Quote from: William_MacKean on May 12, 2010, 11:56:10 AM
I agree with the 'No Firearm' policy.  Too many non-combatants around.  Never a need to throw bullets into a crowd.  Not with the quality of our SS crew.

You want to retract that before I pitch a fit and make you look like a total Jack[expletive for Donkey]

~~Nessa~~
Safety Services Maven of Midnight
Crew member of the S.S. Hookers and Blow
Odissimur Iocos - We hate fun

Marietta Graziella

Quote from: harem_pants on May 12, 2010, 06:48:29 PM
Quote from: William_MacKean on May 12, 2010, 11:56:10 AM
I agree with the 'No Firearm' policy.  Too many non-combatants around.  Never a need to throw bullets into a crowd.  Not with the quality of our SS crew.

You want to retract that before I pitch a fit and make you look like a total Jack[expletive for Donkey]

I think he meant it as a compliment...  The way I read it is, nobody needs a gun when we have excellent SS to keep the peace. 
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Random Girl

See I see it as the complete opposite but I'm cool being the idiot on this one.  Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong.  I hate the internet sometimes.
~~Nessa~~
Safety Services Maven of Midnight
Crew member of the S.S. Hookers and Blow
Odissimur Iocos - We hate fun

Noble Dreg

If being an occasional idiot on the internet was a crime I'd be doing 25 to life.
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Blushing

Out of curiosity, do the same restrictions apply to those on cast?  I don't remember if any were carrying such weapons, but they wouldn't be out of place for royal guards, etc.
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

escherblacksmith

wow . . . so, If I have a claymore it isn't a sword anymore?  I could wear it at my waist if that would help.  Or are they saying no more anti-personnel mines?  In which case, how do port-a-potties get santioned?

Inquiring minds . . .

;D
--

Noble Dreg

Claymore's have always been frowned upon, not sure why...I assume it's because they could be used as a club due to their mass?  A friend of mine was approached almost 10 years ago and told while they would allow him to wear his claymore strapped to his back they would appreciate it if he just left it at home.  Honestly I'm amazed they allow any "costume" weapons, of course it would be hard for vendors to sell tem if you couldn't carry them.  Many fairs ban any and all weapons, costume or not.
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

William_MacKean

Quote from: harem_pants on May 12, 2010, 07:58:50 PM
See I see it as the complete opposite but I'm cool being the idiot on this one.  Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong.  I hate the internet sometimes.

Meant as a compliment.  In the 2-3 times I have needed SS in the last year, I had a 45 SECOND response time at most.  I see no need for a patron or worker to arm themselves and risk missing their intended or having a thru-n-thru injure an innocent.

Pikes & axes occasionally fall or swing an errant arc and hit people.  Most folks can avoid bumping an adult, but the knee-high patrons are vulnerable.

MissBubu

Quote from: Blushing on May 12, 2010, 08:25:54 PM
Out of curiosity, do the same restrictions apply to those on cast?  I don't remember if any were carrying such weapons, but they wouldn't be out of place for royal guards, etc.

Depends on what it says in your contract. I know I have to keep my blades sheathed and peace tied (but not with a plastic cable tie) and can only draw a blade for cutting my food or in a pre-approved choreographed fight.

Muffin

The Claymore thing is kind of a bummer..  :-\

Oh well... what can you do..

A Captains Wench

Ette

Hatter

I'm wondering why the changes?  Is this something the festival came up with on it's own or is it pressure from the County?  Are only Pole axes banned or are the small short haft axes banned too? I wear a short axe/hatchet every year with my barbarian persona.

William_MacKean

Quote from: Hatter on May 14, 2010, 01:25:12 PM
I'm wondering why the changes?  Is this something the festival came up with on it's own or is it pressure from the County?  Are only Pole axes banned or are the small short haft axes banned too? I wear a short axe/hatchet every year with my barbarian persona.

I hear that many festivals across the country have a zero weapons policy for all participants & patrons.  Only stage combat actors are allowed weapons.  Kansas City is this way.  If you purchase a weapon, they take it to a will call for you to pick up outside the gate.

Storm

I imagine it's only a matter of time until all weapons will be banned. Someone is bound to do something stupid sooner or later that will ruin things for everyone. That will too be bad, because although weapons aren't a must with garb they certainly inhance it. Part of the fun for me is being able to carry my assorted swords and knives with my garb. My garb would not be compelete without them. If the day ever comes where they are banned will it prevent me from going to faire? Probably not, though I am sure I would not go as much, maybe only a couple of time a year. The more the powers that be try to regulate things the less fun faire becomes for playtrons, which is kind of sad because the playtrons spend more money at faire then anyone. Last year it was the flasks, this year claymores, axes and blunt weapons. What will it be next year?.....

Toarmod

Quote from: Storm on May 15, 2010, 09:55:50 AMWhat will it be next year?.....

Chinese water boards?

Captain Jack Wolfe

Pointy-toed boots, in the interest of safeguarding all the shins of the Shire.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Noble Dreg

Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on May 16, 2010, 09:11:09 AM
Pointy-toed boots, in the interest of safeguarding all the shins of the Shire.

When I see a fair Lass with pointy-toed boots it ain't me shins I am concerned about!

Hatter

Quote from: William_MacKean on May 14, 2010, 03:04:14 PM

I hear that many festivals across the country have a zero weapons policy for all participants & patrons.  Only stage combat actors are allowed weapons.  Kansas City is this way.  If you purchase a weapon, they take it to a will call for you to pick up outside the gate.

Actually one of the east coast fairs recently reversed their no weapons policy and allows peace tied weapons.  I'm not sure but I think it was North Carolina.

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: William_MacKean on May 14, 2010, 03:04:14 PM

I will weigh in here only lightly, for I do not want to go on my usual rant and rave about weaponless faire.   I think there are only 2 now KCRF and MDRF that are "no weapons" faires.  I have even heard that KCRF does not allow staffs though that is a rumor I heard and not a direct experience of mine.   BARF and Sterling used to be and have now reversed their edicts and allow peace tied blades.  There may be a few more but I think that the number of weaponless faires is far less than anyone would think. 
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Obadiah Jib

Muffin you do carry "weapons"!  I know because you have "disarmed" my vision many times!
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Muffin

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on May 17, 2010, 06:39:21 PM
Muffin you do carry "weapons"!  I know because you have "disarmed" my vision many times!

Awwww Jib.. *blush*  :-*

A Captains Wench

Ette

Will Gamwell

Quote from: William_MacKean on May 13, 2010, 09:38:11 AM
Meant as a compliment.  In the 2-3 times I have needed SS in the last year, I had a 45 SECOND response time at most.  I see no need for a patron or worker to arm themselves and risk missing their intended or having a thru-n-thru injure an innocent.

Pikes & axes occasionally fall or swing an errant arc and hit people.  Most folks can avoid bumping an adult, but the knee-high patrons are vulnerable.

Kyle, When a call is received in SS and the word "Mead Booth" is heard, it immediately gets an equivalent response as a Code Adam.  We (previous & current SS crew alike) LOOOOVEE our Mead peeps.

William_MacKean

Quote from: Will Scarlet on June 14, 2010, 12:04:40 PMKyle, When a call is received in SS and the word "Mead Booth" is heard, it immediately gets an equivalent response as a Code Adam.  We (previous & current SS crew alike) LOOOOVEE our Mead peeps.

And SS knows they can count on the mead booths (and the Jaycee beer booths) any time as well.  Looking forward to another awesome season together!

I speak for the Jaycees as a former member with the confidence that they are still some of the most awesome and helpful people on site.  They love to serve others; be it a beer, a kind word, or a helping hand.