News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What kind of belt do I wear?

Started by SleepyArcher, June 01, 2008, 04:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepyArcher

I dont know what kind of belt to wear with my new FOP outfit. Is it a ring belt, regular belt with buckle? did they wear belts?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Baroness Doune

What is holding up your slops or trunkhose Sleepy?
Are the trunkhose pointed (tied) to the doublet?
If that is the case and you are comfortable with that (the Baron would not be comfortable at all), then just add a sword belt.

In the picture below (taken by Lavender), Edmund Clotworthy is wearing his sword belt, although he does not have a sword on his person.  (He might have left the sword at home in the UK due to customs issues.)

silverstah

The picture of Edmund that Baroness Doune posted is pretty well spot-on. :)  The 'ring belt' that is popular is a bit of an anachronism, so if you're going for historically accurate, then that's not the way to go.

(That said, I have a ring belt that I wear with my garb ALL THE TIME, because it's totally pretty and I love it. *grin*)

For your look, I'd go with a thin (1" - 1.5") leather buckled belt.  You're presenting a very pretty, polished image - a big thick belt would detract from that, aesthetically. 

The Tailor, Portrait of a Halberdier and Portrait of Walter Raleigh are good examples.  The Raleigh portrait shows a jewel-studded or embossed belt, which would be awesome for your fop character. 

A really easy way to dress up a basic leather belt is to use leather stamps - you just punch the design onto the leather with a mallet.  I've seen folks paint on the punched design with metallic paint, which looks really nifty.

You can also dress up a belt with nifty hardware from someplace like Raymond's Quiet Press, who sell amazing buckles and belt ends. 
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing