News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

First time going, questions!

Started by Finnian, March 10, 2011, 11:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finnian

Hey there fellow rennies! This year will be the green faun's first year to attend BARF, so I have some questions, maybe you can help?

-Where are some decent places to stay a night near the fairegrounds? I googled some, of course...but I figured I'd ask people familiar with the area as well. I'm just staying one night it looks like, so it's mainly just for a place to sleep. (AKA doesn't need to be the fanciest joint in town.)

-At the fairegrounds, is it grass, dirt, mulch, paved, gravel, or something else? I ask this one because my hooves react to different surfaces differently and I need to be as prepared as possible. (At my home faire it is dirt and some areas of gravel, so dirt is okay but gravel is basically impossible.)

-I know this faire has fae characters, so I assume a playtron fae wouldn't be frowned upon...?

-Anything as a first time BARF attendee I should know or be sure to check out? I plan to be there the last weekend as of right now, so April 16-17th.

Thank you in advance for your help! :D

Escarlata

We've stayed at the Clarion on Fowler, nothing special but close and not exorbitant.

The site is former woods with the undergrowth cleared. There is a lot of mulch. Tree roots still exist in the lesser used paths. There's no deep gravel, though a few vendors have added it in their booth spaces to work with low spots.

Playtron Fae are not frowned on as long as all the naughty bits are properly covered.

Come early for tailgate, we usually start anytime after 8:30. The area we try to get is the first row after coming in the parking gates. Look for the bright pink pirate flag. Most of us are at least RF aware, even if we seldom post.
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

Finnian

Thank you very much for the info! I am actually traveling with family this time, so I don't know that they'd want to go earlier for the tailgate part, but will definitely be there relatively early. We got a hotel room for Friday and Saturday night, which is better than the original plan of just driving over there Saturday morning. :) I am so excited! I had to take a day's train ride home to pack up all my garb since it doesn't fit in a suitcase.

I cannot wait to make my first weekend debut at BARF in all my green furry gear! (Naturally I'm always covered. LOL)

Esperanza McDaniels

Awww, I don't recall seeing you today, although I admit that I rarely stray from the Pyrate's Pub.  Hope you had a fun time! 
Esperanza McDaniels
Pilot for The Harbinger

Bite'n Penny
Cruise Director of The Clan O'Conchobhair

Finnian

Quote from: Esperanza McDaniels on April 02, 2011, 09:06:25 PM
Awww, I don't recall seeing you today, although I admit that I rarely stray from the Pyrate's Pub.  Hope you had a fun time! 

Only able to attend the 16th and 17th, so that's why ya didn't see me! :D Hope to see you though this weekend! I'm hard to miss....hoping it doesn't rain though, as my garb isn't made to get wet. O_O

Finnian

:D I'm in town! Yay! I'm kinda nervous about going fully garbed TO faire..I know my hotel isn't very far from MOSI...but the local crowd doesn't seem like the type I want to be dressed in full cloven hooves and horns around. >> Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow and Sunday!

Escarlata

Finnian, I never did see you! I talked to one person who said they did but that they lost track of you in the crowd before they could welcome you. I hear that we broke gate record on at least one of the two days and the other was close. That would account for the crowds.

I hope you and your family had a good time and that we'll get a chance to meet some time in the future.
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

Finnian

Awwww I'm sorry! I was definitely around. I hung out with my brother-in-wings, Fiddle quite a bit between the two days. Sunday I wasn't in faun gear because I was in far too much pain to make it another day. (Need to get some stuff remade this year...) lol :) I hope you had fun too! My mum finally dressed up for the first time in all these years! XD