News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

FLASH FLOODING CLOSES FAIR TODAY

Started by bmgjarvis, May 16, 2010, 08:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmgjarvis

May 16 -- The festival is closed due to flash flooding. That's the offical word from the owner to the cast to everyone who can be contacted.
Brenda

CapnFayeCutler

*sigh* APRIL is supposed to be the rainy month...  :'(
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Captain Jack Wolfe

That's a shame.  I feel for the vendors.  :-\
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

ladylissame

I know. We tried going down first weekend, closed after 2 hrs. Now Jinx and Everclear were on their way down and I called to let them know just as they crossed to TN. So much for me getting a souvenir mug.

This is what, their 4th day closed of 11 days? That really really sucks for the faire.

CapnFayeCutler

Third... Yesterday was fine and last weekend was perfect! So we just need more weekends like last weekend! *nod*
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Lady Nicolette

Thanks for getting the word out, Brenda! 

I got to the faire and made sure that the pavilion was secure for the week ahead before heading back home.  Some idiot almost killed me turning into the participant's lot, he was coming up at at least 50 mph and swerved onto the shoulder to avoid me, since I couldn't turn yet with opposing traffic, even though I saw him coming and kept hitting my brakes to warn him.  Glad the worst didn't happen!  The traffic police had already left, it's pretty clear how important they are there.

Too bad we got rained out, we had a great day yesterday...It's actually better that they are now deciding close when the rain is so steady, anyway.  I don't mind a passing shower like yesterday, but it's dismal when it rains hard most of the day, even without flooding and parking issues.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

renfairephotog

Quote from: ladylissame on May 16, 2010, 09:37:01 AM
I know. We tried going down first weekend, closed after 2 hrs. Now Jinx and Everclear were on their way down and I called to let them know just as they crossed to TN. So much for me getting a souvenir mug.

This is what, their 4th day closed of 11 days? That really really sucks for the faire.
Faire was closed for school day which is a short day. The festival and vendors lost the opening weekend and today.

BMGJarvis was at site today to pack down for the week, SIte is muddy,
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Merlin the Elder

I wish my magick worked in Tennessee... I think the gods are still angry with me from my college days in Memphis... 

I've not been to your faire as of yet, but would love to. I'll try to whip up a couple of potions on your behalf. I hope that the rest of your season has better weather.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Chelsy

I'm glad I got over yesterday. Sometimes I think it's me bringing the rain-- it rained when I was there last year, too!
TNRF (2003-2015, 2017)
CRF (2012-present)
GARF (2015-present)
KYHRF (2005-2009)

ladylissame

Quote from: renfairephotog on May 16, 2010, 05:04:20 PM
Quote from: ladylissame on May 16, 2010, 09:37:01 AM

Faire was closed for school day which is a short day. The festival and vendors lost the opening weekend and today.

I was counting the school day as well

Athena

That just sucks! I hope everyone is OK, and any damage to the site is minimal.

Nickie, glad you were unscathed! Some people forget a parking lot is not a highway.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Welsh Wench

Wow, Nickie! Glad you are alright and didn't get hit. That would be just what you didn't need.

I'd say when it rains it pours....but that is trite.
Here's hoping for sunny skies for the vendors and performers from here on out.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Nicolette

Thanks Wenchie and Athena!  Actually it was because I was turning into the lot, all of our people in the lot are considerate of each other.  This was just some guy in a really big fast truck driving too fast in the first place.  At that speed, I might have had all of my troubles ended, but at least we both had fast reflexes (I pulled as far as I could into the opposing lane with oncoming traffic as I could when I saw he had no intention of slowing down). 

Yeah, we need some sunshine here.  Can't it rain during the week?

Captain Jack Wolfe

Thank goodness for your reflexes, Nickie!   We like you intact!

Hopefully Craig can successfully recharge his legendary Stormchaser cloak for the rest of the run.  Here's to dry weekends!
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

amy

Lesson learned on our end yesterday!   We never even assumed to check the web site before we left Alabama.  We were so excited to get on the road we didn't even think twice.  We drove and hour and a half only to  be turned away at the gates.  Then drove home without a drop of rain to be seen and big pouts on our faces.  Only one thing to say about it.... it just sucks....

Lady Nicolette

Getting stuck in the lot is way worse, Amy!  Sorry you had to drive and that the rain let up there, but it rained up in Nashville most of the day once I got home.  I think they made the right choice, even if it didn't rain as much as they thought. 

I like me intact, too, Jack!

Mixsae

Sorry you guys made the long drive but from what I gathered, the decision was made very last minute. Some of the cast were already on site rehearsing and were sent home. Not sure what the time frame was before I got the call from Capt Stout via Griff but it was right at about 9am and I was near the intersection of 96 and Nolensville.

Poor Kirk has only been able to make the two hours of opening day due to damages to his home from the flood and was headed out yesterday.

:'(

Avidd

Quote from: amy on May 17, 2010, 07:29:27 AM
Lesson learned on our end yesterday!   We never even assumed to check the web site before we left Alabama.  We were so excited to get on the road we didn't even think twice.  We drove and hour and a half only to  be turned away at the gates.  Then drove home without a drop of rain to be seen and big pouts on our faces.  Only one thing to say about it.... it just sucks....
We thought of you and Sarah ,realizing we had no way of contacting you.

amy

thanks guys... But don't worry... we got over our pouty and will see you all Saturday!   Back to the un-rain dance!

renfairephotog

Wish we could have got in contact with you. We called Dave and Suzanne but they weren't coming anyway.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer