News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Is Queen Margaret to be no more at Scarby?

Started by Your Grace, May 17, 2010, 07:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Your Grace

Is it true that our beloved Queen Margaret will not return to us next year?  My son returned to the castle yesterday and said that Queen Margaret will be leaving us next year.  I also talked to several of the merchant who said that they may not return next year do to changes in management. Possibly up to 30 of them.  If all this is true it is a sad day for our Village of Scarborough. 
1st Duke of Somerset

angusmacinnes

If it be true I would look for lots less people to be there in coming years.  Guess we shall see what transpires.  Will be a very sad day for Scarby after 14 years of the best Scottish Queen and court in Rendom.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

lys1022

1.  If Janna were to decide to leave faire, it would be because she chooses to do so and not because of anything to do with "changes in management".  She has repeatedly told myself and others that she's having one of the best years ever out at faire this year.

2.  If she WERE to choose to leave faire (and I've heard nothing of the kind from her), then I suspect she would be greatly disappointed if people were to take on some kind of unfounded vendetta against faire and stop coming. 

Sometimes people have things in their lives change and they end up having to make choices.  As I said, I haven't heard a single word directly from her indicating that she is planning on not returning next year, so I strongly doubt the rumour, but I also know that she (like most SAPA members) rarely thinks of NEXT year while working the CURRENT year.  There's not enough time to do so! 

Honestly, I've known her for ten years now, and my instincts say that this is just one of those rumours to be filed in the box along with "Disney is going to buy Scarby" and "If you find the right person you can get invited to the huge sex parties on site after hours" lines of thought.  But again, even if it is not a rumour and ends up being true, have no doubt it will be because SHE wants to do so, and not because of any politicking or management issues.  And if it's what she wants, then no one has the right to second-guess her.  But really...I doubt the whole thing.
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Your Grace

I was not suggesting that she had been sacked.  Only questing if she was really leaving.
1st Duke of Somerset

lys1022

I know.  But these things can take on a life of their own very quickly, so it's best if things are stated plainly right up front, you know?  It's like that game "Telephone", and sometimes things can get really wild really quickly.  Best to keep that from happening than to have to try and stop it once it gets momentum going! :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

SirRichardBear

lys1022 I've been looking for those huge sex parties on site after hours for decades and still haven't found them.  Can't find the ones at the TRF camp grounds either.  You would think after 12 years and more I'd have found at least one, can't believe how unlucky and disappointed I've been in missing them but me wife is certainly glad I've never found them.  :P

I think people some times get confused between our play and what is really going on.  I'm pretty sure we are no really going to be allowed to go to war with England even if we can hope.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

angusmacinnes

Aye brother Bear is right I ner found one thing of that nature.  Maybe we be looking under the wrong treez.  ;D
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: lys1022 on May 17, 2010, 08:36:01 AM
so I strongly doubt the rumour, but I also know that she (like most SAPA members) rarely thinks of NEXT year while working the CURRENT year.  There's not enough time to do so! 
I can understand that, between preparing for each Saturday and Mundane life I can barely think beyond the weekend, much less next year.
Quote from: lys1022 on May 17, 2010, 08:36:01 AM
"If you find the right person you can get invited to the huge sex parties on site after hours" lines of thought. 

I haven't heard that last one in awahile. Thanks for the laugh.
Let's all relax and enjoy this year's Faire, at the end I'm sure any details will come out that are real.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

J M Gryphon

May have something to do with the "theres too many Scots at Scarby" attitude that I have been hearing about this season... She did seem rather unhappy that she was being asked to separate from her royal guard and the regiment last sunday in parade, and addressed the regiment  after parade. Its often hard to tell (for me anyhow) how much drama is for show and how much of it is real, she really seemed upset so i am leaning toward the real kind of drama. For one I really hope that it all gets worked out without anyone having to quit their current roles, as i for one love Queen Margaret/Janna and all she brings to the faire.
Private First Class Queens own Highlanders
Wandering Green Wizard of Krunk
Jedi Master

Bonny Pearl

Too many Scots?!  Ha!  Invasion!  ;D  :D 
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Merlin the Elder

It would certainly be a loss to the festival for Queen Margaret to leave. I can't really imagine management to be foolish enough to dismiss such a beloved character and such a lovely person. 

We've become regular attendees in the past 10-12 years, although we've only been able to make one weekend a year because of the travel distance. The last couple of years, we've also come to FoF preview for a kick. We've made a few friends over the years, but didn't really think of it in the same way that I do now that I've found this forum. I think we're going to make a lot of new friends through here.

The cast members at Scarby are almost like distant family. I don't know them very well, but I surely expect to see them at all of the "family reunions" each spring.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Queen Margaret

This is Queen Margaret of Scotland & the Isles (Janna) from Scarborough Renaissance Festival.

First, I'm truly touched that you are worried about my departure from SRF. Thank you for your love and support. It is mutual.

Second, I have no plans to leave. Whether I stay is a decision of the entertainment director/general manager and the cast director. It is my plan to return in 2011. But again, that's their decision and no decisions about that will be made until prep for the 2011 season begins.

Third, don't let the drama of a storyline or bit of the moment color what is or is not fact. As one of you so precisely and eloquently put it, we are so good at our jobs that it's never apparent what is in faith and what is in sooth.  ;D

Don't worry about things that haven't happened. I'm here for the remainder of 2010 and I hope to be here for many, many more.

Hugs,
Janna
A calm sea never made for a skillful manner. -English proverb

Your Grace

Your Majesty please have mercy on me! I only asked the question out concern for you and your court. It was not meant to start a rumor or upset the boat.  MERCY MERCY MERCY  ;D
1st Duke of Somerset

Merlin the Elder

I am humbled in your presence, Your Majesty...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Merlin

AND....there's no such thing as "too many Scots" !
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making