News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sinkhole on I-24 EAST near Monteagle

Started by renfairephotog, May 18, 2010, 10:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfairephotog

This may effect those headed home sunday. It's on the east bound side just before the mountain.

MONTEAGLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee highway officials said a huge sinkhole on Interstate 24 between Chattanooga and Nashville is blocking all eastbound lanes, and repairs may not be completed until Saturday.
Tennessee Department of Transportation spokeswoman Jennifer Flynn said eastbound traffic is being rerouted around the sinkhole, which is located between mile marker 127 and exit 127 in northern Grundy County near the Coffee County line.

Flynn says the sinkhole is about 25 feet deep, 25 feet long and 18 feet wide.

The Tennessee Department of Transportation awarded a $266,960 emergency contract to Highways, Inc to make repairs immediately. TDOT hopes to complete repairs and reopen the roadway by Saturday.

Until repairs are complete, traffic will be detoured off I-24 at exit 114 to Highway 41 then to State Route 50 and back onto I-24 at exit 127.

Several alternate routes are available for drivers traveling from Nashville to the Chattanooga area including: Interstate 65 south to U.S. 64, exit 14, east to I-24; I-40 east to State Route 111, exit 288, south to U.S. 27 to Chattanooga; or I-24 east to U.S. 231, exit 81, south/west to US-41A south/east to I-24 at MM-134.

Drivers heading to Atlanta may also take I-65 south to Birmingham then I-20 to Atlanta.

The TDOT Smartmap shows the sinkhole was reported about 8 a.m. CDT.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/23593028/detail.html
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

BLAKDUKE

BLOODY HE!!

That was the route I used to take when we were traveling up and back every weekend.   Whew glad we missed that one.   That sure would have swallowed up the rolling castle.

The Blakduke
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

CapnFayeCutler

Dolines are awesome! Well, except when they cause damage like that. ;)
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

renfairephotog

Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer