News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Lining a skirt (on a gown)?

Started by gem, June 01, 2008, 01:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

The Promenade gown has a skirt that appears to be lined in green (let's not quibble about whether it *is* actually lined or not; I like the idea of the black lined with green, and that's that.).  I'll be using black worsted for the kirtle, and green silk dupioni for the lining.

I confess I'm not entirely sure how exactly to go about it.  I'm not sure I want to line and turn; I *think* I want to hem them separately and tack them together at the hems.  Or do I?

I see people mention lining their gown skirts all the time, but I'd like some tips and techniques for the best way of doing it.

Thanks for any suggestions, recommendations, or lessons!

Baroness Doune

Based on the appearance of the gown in the tapestry, I would sew the wool and dupioni together and turn through the waist.  This really is the easiest method of lining anything.

The overgown looks like it runs long, so there is no problem on being precise on the length.

isabelladangelo

Bag line.  Cut out the lining the same as the gown.  Sew them together to make one dress.   You can turn the edges at the open seam (open side) and hand sew them down.  Any hand sewing will be covered by the trim so don't worry too much about perfectly neat, you just need to sew it to be stable.  You can also machine sew if you pin it turned under.

silverstah

Quote from: gem on June 01, 2008, 01:18:19 PM
I confess I'm not entirely sure how exactly to go about it.  I'm not sure I want to line and turn; I *think* I want to hem them separately and tack them together at the hems.  Or do I?

Personally, this is what I would do.  Every time I try to bag-line a skirt, the hem turns out *wonky*.  The lining doesn't hang right.

If you do choose to bag-line, be sure to make the skirts and let them hang for a while (about a week?) to ensure that the fabric does all it's stretching before you sew 'em together. :)
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

gem

QuotePersonally, this is what I would do.  Every time I try to bag-line a skirt, the hem turns out *wonky*.  The lining doesn't hang right.

See, this is my fear.

L, how do you go about it, then?  Is it like making two skirts, sewn together at the waist?

I'm also afraid that the lining and the skirt fabrics won't behave like one garment; that they'll flop around and shift &c.

silverstah

*nod* What I would do is make two skirts, sewn together at the waist and down the side slit, leaving the hem open.  Turn and press sewn seams.  Let it hang on a skirt hanger for a few days/up to a week to insure that the fabric does all the stretching it wants to do.   Whipstitch to the bodice in whatever pleating method you're going to be using.  Try it on, mark the hem.  Hem fashion fabric/lining, and then tack the lining to the fashion fabric every few inches. 

It's a bit more work than bag-lining, but I've had very good results with this method.  I've never done it with a split skirt like that, but I can't imagine it would make much of a difference. 
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing