News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Court question

Started by True Queen, May 21, 2010, 02:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

True Queen

I'm thinking about joining Scarby cast. I want to join the courts. Any advice from any Scarby cast people?

Lady Rosalind

I'm not on the Scarby cast, but I am a part of a noble court at other faires. This is pretty generic advice, though, so it may work for you.

My advice would be to find out who is in charge of the court, and ask when auditions are being held. Be prepared with information on what type of character you wish to play, along with backstory, and very importantly - costume information!!!!! Be aware of the time period that the court portrays, and keep costuming ideas within that period. Be mindful of station, and wealth of your character. Be also willing to change everything about your character if you have to. They may already have too many haughty Duchesses, romantic characters, but maybe not enough of the lesser nobles, poor knights' daughters, etc. Variety is the key. Flexibility is also crucial.

Be familiar with what the court at Scarby actually does during a typical faire day. If they are an active court, and are constantly on the move, participating in shows, street theater, etc, you need to be able to do all of it - physically and mentally. One thing I've learned over the years is that what most people think the court does is vastly different than the actuality. It isn't just about wearing a gorgeous gown, and sitting in the shade sipping chilled water while being adored by the people. Yes, that may happen for a moment, but more often than not, it's brutally hot, you're constantly on the move, and you are always, always on "stage". Even if you are on your way to the first aid booth, on the verge of heat exhaustion, or to the privy, you are in character, and interacting with patrons (yes, this has happened to me).

Be prepared to be toting water, filling goblets, and carrying baskets, jewelry boxes, parasols, fans, or whatever the higher ranked ladies, Queen or Princess need you to carry or do. Be prepared to join a sign-along at the drop of a hat. Be willing to play with other characters, as well. Most importantly, you have to be able to separate faire from real life, as well. You cannot take anything personally. If you play a mean character, you will probably not be liked. It's the character that they don't like, not you, and for some people it's really hard (and others eat it up!).

You have to be able to handle all of this without complaint, with a smile on your face. Save complaints for after the patrons go home, and be ready to have a clean slate the next day/weekend.

If you think you may have problems with anything listed above, or if you have any hesitations at all, you may want to rethink auditioning. If it all sounds worth it, go for it, and good luck!

lys1022

Generally SAPA (Scarborough Academy of the Performing Arts) actors do not tend to audition for a specific role or even a specific type of role.  Auditionees are always encouraged to have something in mind, but with the understanding that you may end up being asked to play something completely different. 

Scarborough Faire is set in Scarborough Village, so the strongest recommendation is to have a village character in mind.  That will mean characters ranging from peasant to yeoman to gentry.  If you aren't sure of the definitions of the various classes, just say so and either myself or another SAPA member will be happy to explain.

There are occasionally people who are new to perfoming company that play nobility, but as the focus is really on the village, it is more common to be asked to take one of those positions.  All of that, however, doesn't even happen until you have auditioned and are at Orientation.  At auditions the main concerns are:

1.  Do you play well with others?  Are you willing to help someone else shine?
2.  Are you comfortable with making a total fool of yourself?  Will you jump up and jump in without worrying that you're going to "look dumb" or "make a mistake"?
3.  Can you roll with whatever is thrown at you or does it fluster you to the point of having to fall silent?
4.  Do you take direction and follow directions well?
5.  Do you play well with others?  Yes, I know I put that twice.  That's because it's REALLY important. :)

Basically, the audition panel is looking for people who have the potential to create and portray engaging characters while fitting in well and working well with a wide assortment of personalities.  Flexibility, cooperation, being outgoing...these are the things that count.

Once auditions are completed and the "Hey, come play with us!" phone calls / e-mails are done, then Orientation occurs.  This is where you go through what we call Character Funnel, and you sit down with members of the CDC (Character, Dialect, Costuming) to hammer out the basic outline of who you will be during the faire season.  Class, occupation, nationality (usually English) and basic personality are determined.  The rest of the character will be developed during the 8 weekends of workshops before Opening Day.

Workshops consist of 8 weekends, both Saturday and Sunday, from 9 a.m. til around 6 or 7 p.m. depending on which events you choose to be a part of.  SAPA members take classes in Character, Dialect, Costuming, History / Customs / Manners, Improvisational Theatre, and what we call Guerilla Theatre...the blending of all the other classes.  There are also rehearsals for the various events (Highland Games, Court Dance, Country Dance, Human Chess Match and so on).

Being on performing company is hard work, and exhausting.  It has great rewards in the form of the smiles that people get when you entertain them and a group of friends like no other.  If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.  I'm no longer on performing company (though my husband is) as I got a bit worn out and am taking a break, but I was there for 8 years.  There are also at least five other performing company members that I know of on these boards.  Everyone is just really exhausted right now, and will probably be hibernating for most of June to recover from four VERY hard months of work. 

Also, be aware that the office at the festival will be turning its attention to Screams within the week, and so any questions sent to them about Faire will not really be addressed til after November 1st. :)

Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Baron Dacre

Quote from: True Queen on May 21, 2010, 02:28:21 PM
I'm thinking about joining Scarby cast. I want to join the courts. Any advice from any Scarby cast people?

I'm not from Scarby, but I have been on the audition panel for RPFS's court. Our auditions involve us asking

"Why do you want to play this part?"
"What do you and/or the character bring to our cast?" (skills, etc...)
"Will you be able to make the whole run?"

Also we had the person auditioning read a short passage from the bible or Shakespeare. The person was then able to choose a person from our panel to do a short improv piece with.

The reading and the improv were merely to give us a level where the person is on these skills.

Often the person would not receive the part or rank they requested, but the panel worked with the person to find a suitable alternative. (For an extreme example if we would have had an unexperienced 18 year old trying out for Lord Burleigh or the proposed character was the daughter of the king of elves or the character was a part that the company had reserved, etc...)

My advice would be:
Have a character synopsis ready with an alternative (or two) in mind.
Be prepared to be cast as something else entirely.
Prepare (memorization might not be needed) a period passage or two.
Relax, have fun. (Our panel was generally on the side of the newbie! New blood is good!)

Questions you might need to answer:
RPFS's court is responsible for their own outfits. (don't know about Scarby). If you know costumers, find out if a ballpark estimate. The panel might ask if you can provide the outfit.
Are you able to make rehearsals?
Are you able to work the run?
While they may not ask this you might be forthcoming on any health problems that might inhibit your abilities to perform. (I have RA, it is controlled but there are moments of uuggghhh!)

After you are cast:
Be prepared to learn the language, dance and manners. Ask questions, make friends.
For RPFS court women they are needed for parades, stage shows, dance sets, attending on the queen (book, baskets, pitcher, cup, etc) as well as various other activities. We leave our set (court glade) at about noon and our not back in glade until 3:30ish. We have duty in shifts while the Queen is out.

It is a bit of work. But it is a great deal of fun!

Since working faire I have met some of the best friends I have ever had, my shyness is pretty much gone (I speak to strangers on a regular basis). I also met the love of my life while working faire. Our first kiss happened as part of gig during glade stop. In front of an audience! Surprised everyone watching and us too!

Welcome to the other side of the curtain!
Gregory Fiennes
10th Baron Dacre of the South
(Baron Dacre)

holierthanthou

I as well am not from Scarby, but had fun playing with the cast and playtrons when I visited.  As both an actor and a director ....

If you have a set character when you audition, let them know why the character is important to you, but also be open to suggestion and change.  Doesn't mean you have to change.  Sometimes we don't see things that may work better for us.

Remember to play well and read how others react.    If people respond poorly or not at all, feel free to ask.  Communication is always a win in any situation.

Break a leg dear.  Maybe i will see you on my next visit to Scarby.
There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish a small candle.