News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How to stay in character when traveling with non-Rennies

Started by Elinor Hakebourne, May 22, 2010, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elinor Hakebourne

What I mean by non-Rennies is this: every time I've gone to faire, it has been with people who were not in garb and didn't have a faire persona. Since I am already self-conscious, being the only person in garb with a character made me feel uncomfortable, the odd one out. Every time I consider going in 'danes as little ol' me, however, that doesn't feel right, either. Short of acting like the mundanly dressed people that I am enjoying faire with are strangely dressed and people my character doesn't know, any suggestions on how I can easily still feel in period and in character in these situations? Thanks for the help :)

LadyFae

I really don't have any help but I feel your pain!  Two years ago I attended Faire with my husband, his monther, his sister, MY sister and her husband (as well as my children.)  My sister, my two girls (at the time) and I were the only ones in garb- I became so muddled at one point that I- a noble- actually BOWED to a peasent, and then was REPRIMANDED by said peasent!  Ugh, I was quite embarrassed to say the least!  The only thing that I could do to keep character and not be embarrassed was to separate myself from the mundane group and enjoy Faire with my sister, as we usually do together.  I'll be watching this thread and hoping for some good advice, too!  =D
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Lady Lil

In a few weeks there is going to be a small pirate festive 1 hour or so away from home.  This is our first festival and after begging, my husband a "non- Rennie" he said that he would go with me. I had been excited and working on our costumes for a few months, and last night we looked some past videos via internet of the festival and only the cast, (a very small cast was in garb). My husband said that there was no way he was dressed up, and right now I'm feeling about the same. He did agree to go with me to LARP, (6 hours away) only because he doesn't want me traveling by myself, and as for his choice of attire? He's still debating, I'm just happy he said he would go, he's just hoping I'll find another Rennie to travel with. (I've never been on one, but I'm sure a Rennie road trip has to be a blast" lol

Butch

Heck, forget they are dressed mundanely!  See them and react to them as being properly dressed for the occassion.  If someone asks you about their garb, act as if you don't understand their question, since your entourage is dressed appropriately.

EmbyrretheFae

My personal rule of thumb under the circumstances you list is to explain thoroughly the importance of you staying in character even if they do not "get it".  I tell people travelling with us that I will not step out of character for anything save an emergency.  If that offends them that I play continuously once hitting the faire grounds...then its time for them to go with someone else ;)

~Embyrre
"Because I can" ;)

Mademoiselle D

I totally understand with my friends they normally hear Faire all by itself and kind of stop and wonder.

But having moved several times in the last number of years, I often am the one to find the closest Ren Faire and then introduce the friends to the fun which is faire.  It's something they normally don't know is a passion of mine so I introduce them to it ahead of time.  Show them my garb, tell them about how much fun it is, convince them to go, then let them know you are in character when at the faire.  Normally at this point they're so excited just to attend faire from what you've shared with them even if they don't get in character they totally will get along fine with you being in character.  One last thing you have to worry about while still having fun with those you are at faire with.   :)

DT_Masters

Well, B and A.

B: in acting, I find it troublesome having established character to then associate with my comrades while being in character without losing character. Sometimes, I am able to achieve it, such as playing King Creon who talks with others about his conversations with a time traveler who talks about these things known as "the future"......and other times, I lose it, such as getting into my character into a stage and then having to do the audition intro where I am me and then having to get back into it again. I believe my best bet is to establish an interface where my character is playing me so I can communicate while still being in character......but I have yet to be able to achieve that.

A: Often times at festival, people will talk to me about my camera. My response is usually to talk about the gypsies, that they too must have associated with, who introduced to this wonderful device. The catch is, of course, they often don't have a clue of what I am talking about, so the meaning is lost.......although, at Sherwood's opening, he did respond about time travelers, so maybe the story is catching on.

To me, gypsy story first, character playing an interaction character of a sort second.......but it is still under development.