News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Adult-Friendly vs. Kid-Friendly Faires Query

Started by PollyPoPo, May 23, 2010, 07:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PollyPoPo

Having only visited Faires in Texas during the past decade, I'm curious as to just how adult-friendly vs. kid-friendly Faires are in other parts of the country.  A lot of the official Faire websites call them family-friendly, but I figured I'd ask people who actually attend.

I've seen references here to children's play areas (open non-pay).  Also seen references to sort-of segregated areas where more adult themed entertainment is encouraged, more no-kid zones.

Any input on specific Faires?

Polly PoPo
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Ambrosine

Here in Tampa, FL BARF is kid friendly. They do have kids play area ( I wish it was kept up a little better though) with little crafts to do and mother nature telling stories, also have a petting zoo that all the kids love (and adults). No adult only Areas, My son (3) and daughter(9) both hang out at the pubs with us and are always greeted warmly by everyone there. We do have some shows that are not so kid friendly but they warn parents ahead of time. I have never gone to a faire that had any adult-only areas, unfortunately if they did I would not go back as my kids love faire as much as my husband and I do so they are always with us.
Stitch Witch of the Harbinger

groomporter

In general I would suspect most of the smaller fairs are more family friendly in general, especially those dependent more on the local community as an audience. I think it's the huge fairs that probably tend to be bawdier, both in the acts the hire as well as some of the patrons they attract. In 20 years I've seen more eyebrows raised over what some customers will wear than what participants have on.

It does seem that more and more fairs are the making a effort to mark in their programs in some way to show which acts are "R rated". MNRF started doing that in recent years. A couple of the comedy acts at MNRF save their "R rated" routines for the very end of the day when most families with young kids are gone, but again they announce it at the beginning of the act and it's marked in the program.

I heard people talk about the idea of adult-only pubs and things in recent years as a possible way preserve the bawdy acts but protect families from accidental exposure to it, but I have not heard of any fairs that have actually created something like it.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

dragongirl

The only true Adults only Faire we have in the New York Tri-State Area is Jeff Mach's Wicked Faire.  That faire you MUST be over 18 to attend unless there is special permision from Jeff himself.  While it has been slowly transforming from just an adults only faire into a Steampunk/B&D Convention their are still faire aspects to it and several regular faire vendors attend with more adult oriented products.  The rest of our faire's are family friendly and generally PG-13 rated. 
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Dinobabe

From what I remember the Pig and Whistle pub at Bristol is 21 and up but the rest is very family friendly, with warnings for certain shows and a GREAT Kid's Kingdom!  The pub is a small area for alcohol and REALLY bawdy shows.  It's been several years, though.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Maeve McMayhem

Kentucky Faire always has a 21+ pub ( Twisted Thistle) where the more adult entertainment happens.. I also heard tell that they are putting in a kids zone this season.. a few days will tell!
"Castleteer"
IWG #3771
1/2 of Misplaced Laces

Rosamundi

I was really impressed by the toddler-friendly features at the Colorado Medieval Festival (a one-weekend event north of Denver).  They provided both child-friendly entertainment and a vendor-run open play area.  You can find my more detailed review in the "Smaller Midwestern Faires" thread for CMF; we'll definitely go back to that one!
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

Finnian

FlaRf is family friendly, and has a kid's area also. There are things that are adults only, but generally they are off to the side and not open in the public areas, and have signs posted a good distance away down the lane as a warning. (Such as Christophe the Insulter's show.) Our faire is also fantasy friendly, and the RenFaeries work there every year, and kids LOVE them.

BubbleWright

While The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire does have a number of Adult shows, it also has quite a lot for the children in the way of shows, activities and the Children's Discovery Garden. See Link:

http://www.parenfaire.com/fairekidsactivities.html
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

bellevivre

I think it' something that's changed a lot- my parents went to TRF in the mid-80s and we were most definitely NOT allowed! but now, things have tamed down so much that there is little there I wouldnt cal kid-friendly.

I am hoping Sherwood has an Adults Only weekend, as that woud be AWESOME! but, I dont know what the big difference would be other than the leather and iron workers maybe having thier 'special orders' on display...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Dinobabe on May 24, 2010, 08:11:31 PM
From what I remember the Pig and Whistle pub at Bristol is 21 and up but the rest is very family friendly, with warnings for certain shows and a GREAT Kid's Kingdom!  The pub is a small area for alcohol and REALLY bawdy shows.  It's been several years, though.

The Pig & Whistle Pub at Bristol doesn't have an age restriction (except to buy alcohol).  I've seen families go to nearby food booths, bring the food back & sit at the tables & eat while the shows are going on.  However, there are a couple of shows that are called "bawdy."  Especially the R-rated Christophe the Insulter show.  Christophe tells the parents to remove their children at the beginning of the show, before he even gets going.  He says flat out that his show is not for children or young teenagers.  Usually the parents comply, and if they don't, once the words start rolling off his tongue, the families are flying out of there.  It says in the stage schedule which shows are PG13 or R, and they usually announce it at the beginning of the show.

The Kid's Kingdom is extensive with a lot of rides plus a climbing wall.  There are elephant, camel, & pony rides, too.  There is even a roleplaying game that began last season, which appeals to a variety of ages, though I think of it as mostly teenage boys & young adults (though it's not).  I think Bristol is trying to capture as much audience as they can, so the faire isn't leaning towards either adults-only or family-friendly, rather a mixture of both.

We've been going to Bristol for 14 years, and I have noticed a change in the entertainment & things they have there to bring in more families.  We don't have young children, so we don't frequent those areas, but they are very popular, and there are also things for adults, too. 
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Dinobabe

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on July 28, 2010, 09:53:49 PM
Quote from: Dinobabe on May 24, 2010, 08:11:31 PM

The Pig & Whistle Pub at Bristol doesn't have an age restriction (except to buy alcohol).  I've seen families go to nearby food booths, bring the food back & sit at the tables & eat while the shows are going on.  However, there are a couple of shows that are called "bawdy."  Especially the R-rated Christophe the Insulter show.  Christophe tells the parents to remove their children at the beginning of the show, before he even gets going.  He says flat out that his show is not for children or young teenagers.  Usually the parents comply, and if they don't, once the words start rolling off his tongue, the families are flying out of there.  It says in the stage schedule which shows are PG13 or R, and they usually announce it at the beginning of the show.

That's interesting.  There is a topic on the Bristol Board about "family-friendly" vs adult.  They mention that the fence around the Pig was taken down.  I remember you had to show ID to get in (21).  This allowed a "safe" venue for the really bawdy shows.  Even as a kid I thought it was a good idea.  And if I wanted to listen in all I had to do was lean on the fence!  Even then it was difficult to hear so no spillage going on there.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com