News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Searching For Renfaires Where I Can Shoot My Own Longbow

Started by Craigmeister, May 23, 2010, 10:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigmeister

Over the winter, I created the persona of an English longbowman.  In my travels around the south-central U.S., there has only been one Renfest I've attended where I could shoot my own longbow.  What other places besides the Four Winds Faire can I do this?  The archery range at KCRF is good by I haven't tried my own bow there.  Should I be looking for a certain vendor at Renfests?
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Bonny Pearl

that is an interesting question.  it would be neat if there was a faire that had competitions for such a thing for patrons.

the only thing that comes to mind is perhaps SCA events?  i don't really know much about those though...
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Abbot Bubo

I'm not an SCA member but I attend the 3 main wars on the west coast (Estrella, Portrero and Great Western).  The archery ranges have great set-ups, usually with moving and spinning targets.  I have not yet participated in the archery competitions though I am friends with Captain Nad of Fairebows and have worked with him in his vendor booth at Estrella.  You may want to contact him with any questions...www.fairebows.com
Tell him Abbot sent ya.

madmanpsu

If you ask politely, Master Will at PaRF may allow you to shoot your bow at his range.  He has a range at his shop to allow customers to try out bows before purchase, but I know that on occasion he has allowed other patrons to shoot bows they have brought in themselves.  Ussually they do this toward the end of the day when his shop is empty and that side of the shire is not very busy.

dbaldock

You might try contacting "rengypsy" (Eric Todd), the principle partner in owning/operating Sherwood Forest Faire near Austin, TX.  Since it's a "Robin Hood" themed Ren Faire, they may allow you to shoot your own longbow.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Craigmeister

Fortunately, Four Winds has a competition each day of their 7 week run.  Ribbons & medals are given out at the end of each afternoon's shoot.  There are patrons who attend several days just to compete at the archery range.  Siegework Creations brings a longbow shop & the archery range to this wonderful faire.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

insidiousraven

the KCRF is having a midwest longbow competition that is free to enter this year on September 18 and 19.  You also get to go to the faire for free if you enter, and bring 4 guests for free as well.

Hatter

MNRF will be hosting the Minnesota Longbow competition again this year over Labor Day weekend.  I'm sure you could use your own bow at that range.

VIII

Well, I was waiting for someone who is more "In-The-Know" to answer, but they haven't.
Scarborough Faire outside Waxahachie, Texas, has a competition during the season for bow enthusiasts.  You can use your own bow, so long as it has is under a 75 lb draw (I believe) and you must use their arrows.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Hibernian

Check out Kentucky Highlands next year. Over the July 4th weekend they held an archery tournament. Prizes awarded in several different classes. It went well, I'm pretty sure they'll do it again.
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Craigmeister

Grammercy to each of you.  I will be working too much in September to make it to KCRF for their tournament.  Scarby sounds tempting though.  I've been wanting to go back there for the last couple of springs.

NefariousDrO

I was at Mayfaire here in Michigan and they had an archery competition. I'm not positive, but it looked like the competitors were using their own bows.

BLAKDUKE

Craigmeister:

I know for a fact that at one time back in the day TNRF had an archery contest with prizes etc.  Many a local bowman
attended and brought their own bow.  You might contact Mike Freeman there and ask if they have any plans of having it again.

The BLAKDUKE

Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Gwen

We're not a RenFaire, but we will be having a longbow competition at the Tournament of the Phoenix October 22, 23, 24.

Gwen

Craigmeister

It's good to hear of these tournaments.  I'm afraid that my travels this fall will not take me out of Oklahoma, Arkansas or Kansas though.  Good luck to all of you who get to participate.  Huzzah to you for helping keep this ancient tradition alive.  Hip, hip, Huzzah!

Frederic

I know its a bit out of Bowman Craigmeister's range, but for others in the Northeast region, the Connecticut Ren Faire started a Robin Hood themed spring festival, with an archery competition that was definately BYOB (Bring your own Bow).  There was a host of restrictions on what was allowed (no compounds, no mechanical triggers, no sights, etc), but I'm sure a simple longbow would meet them.  The faire was held in Guilford (near New Haven), and I'm guessing that it was successful, because they are doing it again next year:

www.ctfaire.com/spring/
Merchant of the Hansa, Procurer to the Queen, and complete scoundrel

Craigmeister

Thanks for all of the referrals.  The East Coast is indeed out of my range.  I didn't even make it back to KC this year.  Tulsa's new Medfaire had a crossbow archery range put on by the SCA last month.  Since it's in a county park, they couldn't use sharp points though.  They had blunt ends on the bolts but we had live targets to shoot.  That was a fun change.

SirRichardBear

We do indeed have a acrhery tournament at Scarborough you can use your own bow as long as its under 50 pounds and is a period stright long bow and not a compound or recurve and you can shot your own arrows as long as they meet range rules.  We have tournament judge who can check out your bow and arrows and determine if they are legal for our tournamnet.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin