News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Germanic Fairytale Character

Started by Elistariel, May 28, 2010, 02:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elistariel

Okay so next year my friend and I are going as Renaissance versions of two characters from a fairy tale based in Germany. I'd rather not say which one right now. Both characters are from the same fairy tale. I've tried looking up what women from what is now Germany wore back then, but it doesn't tell me much.

Here's what we would like:
-Her costume's colors will be white and blue, mine will be black and red. It's a way for us to "go-together" without being all matchy-matchy.
-We need them to be able to shift weather. We want to be able to wear them to another non-ren event. So we need something we can switch pieces with to shift from winter to blazing summer. So no one big piece.
-I have no clue about footwear. I can't buy shoes online so I'm not worried about that.
-Our characters are peasants, or at least cottage dwellers.

It sounds simple in theory, but I'm at a loss.  :-[  I'm just fishing for ideas. We wouldn't be going as these characters until fall of next year. We don't have the time or money to do it this year.

Thank you so much

gem

Elistariel, welcome to the forums!  I absolutely LOVE your idea!!

You might re-post your question over in the garb forum, where many of the boards' costumers hang out (and sometimes don't visit other forums).  We don't tend to see a whole lot of German garb (which is a shame, because it's gorgeous!), but your project sounds fun!

The Sewing forum is also where you'll find Ariel Callista's Renaissance Snow White gown she did this year.

You might look for costume references in artwork by Albrecht Durer and Lucas Cranach. Flemish costume is from a different region altogether, but great for peasant-class recreations. Hans Holbein painted a lot of the Tudors, but before that he worked in Germany, so his earlier works are good German references. He also painted the famous portrait of Anne of Cleves, Henry VIII's German wife.

I'm attaching a photo of a 1569 engraving by Melchior Lorch, a Danish artist known for his detailed costume depictions. This one is of a young German girl.  Isn't she fabulous?

To my eye, her gown looks a lot like one of the signature pieces of Sofi's Stitches (probably too upper class for what you're looking for, but it might give you some ideas):