News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What to bring to faire?

Started by Aelynn of Georgina, May 28, 2010, 01:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aelynn of Georgina

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum or not, so please forgive me if I am...

This is my family's first year attending faire (me, my lovie and our two youngest fair maidens) and I was wondering, aside from the garb one wears, what else should one bring to faire?  I've seen mention of people bringing their own tankards/goblets... should everyone have one of their own?  Anything else? Food perhaps? I was thinking chicken or ham, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, and bannock... How do you carry it?  I have a wicker picnic basket that I could use, but not sure if that would be appropriate.

will paisley

Quote from: Aelynn on May 28, 2010, 01:32:59 PM
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum or not, so please forgive me if I am...

This is my family's first year attending faire (me, my lovie and our two youngest fair maidens) and I was wondering, aside from the garb one wears, what else should one bring to faire?  I've seen mention of people bringing their own tankards/goblets... should everyone have one of their own?  Anything else? Food perhaps? I was thinking chicken or ham, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, and bannock... How do you carry it?  I have a wicker picnic basket that I could use, but not sure if that would be appropriate.

Tankards/goblets are a good idea, unless you enjoy having gone to all the trouble of getting one's self outfitted in garb, only to be drinking out of a disposable soda cup.  Note that you'll also need a mug strap and a belt to hang it from, unless you like walking around all day with a mug in your hands.

I also presume garb includes both a hat (for the sun) and some sort of pouch for keys, wallet, etc.

Assuming your faire allows outside food into the grounds, a wicker basket would work fine.  If you want to be 100% authentic, you might want to invest in wooden bowls and feast gear at some point.  Personally, I'd bring sliced rolls and just stuff whatever I wanted to eat between them.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Sitara

I have never been to a faire that allowed you to bring in outside food or drink.  When I was a patron, to save money, I used to bring cooler and go out to the car for lunch. 

As far as other things to bring, I think the most important thing is sunscreen.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Cilean

What do I bring to Faire?

I bring a good sized basket with:
extra pair of contacts and solution
2 Mugs/Tankards
2 Forks, Spoons and Knives
Napkins of Paper
Small purse with ID
1 plate and 1 good sized wooden bowl
Linen Cover for the basket

When I walk about with my family we all take turns on carrying this, it has enough room so that we purchase food we can lay it on top of everythng.Typicaly I know people in the Faire so they can give me water and ice so you don't dehydrate while at faire.

I hope this helps you out!

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Lady Renee Buchanan

Depends on the weather of the faires you go to.

When it's hot, hot, hot, a parasol (paper or material) for the females is a good idea, as well as sunscreen and a hat with a brim. 

For rainy weather, Lady Nicolette shared this hint when we visited her in TN.  Take big garbage bags, folded up, so if the benches are wet, you can put one down and keep your garb dry.

Most faires don't let you bring in your own food.  It's not really faire to the vendors, but you can go out in the parking lot and eat stuff that you brought and keep in your car.  Steve and I have tankards and goblets, but we don't go the distance with wooden bowls and utensils.  It's too hot at Bristol in the summer to lug around a lot of stuff.

That is also the other deciding factor.  How much do you really want to carry around with you and look after?  One way I keep track of my parasols is that I have a pair of arm bracers made of leather.  I use the ties to tie around my belt, then shove the parasol inside, so I don't have to worry about putting it down and losing it.  We try to keep it down to a pouch or 2 plus our tankards, so it doesn't get too heavy.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Dayna

I carry a basket.  It contains sunscreen, small plate and bowl, drawstring pouch (containing credit card, drivers license, pen, paper, checkbook, cash, spare meds/aspirin/tampax/nailclipper) with the cords tied around the handle, muckinger and dog treats.  Around the handle are mug straps to hold my mug and that of my furry partner.  Often there will be a bit of needlework also.

If I'm wenching I wear a belt with a heavy leather pouch instead of the soft drawstring pouch. 
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

gem

Don't forget your camera!!

Milord and I collect pewter goblets, so while I own some and love them, I don't bring them to Fair. I've never really understood the need to carry around your own dishes. It's not accurate for the period (people didn't bring their own servingware to taverns, etc), and you don't do it anywhere else IRL, so why add to the load at Fair? Maybe other fairs are different, but at KCRF food comes in wrappers/containers. It just seems unnecessarily messy and troublesome to me, but YMMV.  For SCA events where you're preparing your own food, sure. But at a regular commercial fair? I wouldn't bother. 

We *do* bring a waterbowl for our dogs, because they are prima donnas and won't drink from the communal bowls  ::), AND because the food vendors are barred from handing out disposable bowls to patrons, and you can only go through so many apple dumplings in a season. (Oh, I suppose you can add "dogs" to the list of things we bring! LOL)

Otherwise, I pretty much bring a pared-down version of what I carry in my purse every day: money/CCs, first aid kit, business cards, season passes, etc.

We have a basket in our bedroom during Fair season, where we store the things we take *every* weekend--pouches/belts/etc. I started doing this two seasons ago, and it's been *very* useful. No last-minute flailing about looking for the various odds and ends. At the end of the season, the whole kit gets stashed with the garb again.

Aelynn of Georgina

Thanks for the input everyone!

We don't have our own tankards/goblets yet, so we will have to wait and see if we find anything we like. 

Since the first faire we are attending is brand new this year, there isn't even anyone I can ask who would know the lay of the land and what I can expect.  I am of the same school of thought though, and since I don't cope well with being hot, that the less to carry the better.  I have sewn a loop on the inside of my skirt to hang my pouch with my id, CCs and/or cash from so if I can get away with not having to carry anything else, other than my camera, I will be happy!

Sir Michael Geare

As part of my outfit, I do wear a pouch and tankard in addition to my sword and dagger as part of my character.  Although I do bring plates and various types of food because being that we work there around Court must eat in a period manner.
'The exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it
increases strength, and sharpens the wits.'

raevyncait

On my belt:
small pouch in front with my money, ID, lip balm/lipstick
larger pouch that is usually on the back of my hip or center of my back that has a tube of sunblock, my camera, a small notepad and a pen, a small baggie of safety pins, small bottle of ibuprofen
mugstrap for carrying my mug when I'm not using it

In my basket, which has a lid:
wooden bowl, spork & spoon
package of tissues
a few band aids
kool aid, gatorade, or propel flavored packets (save your water bottle after you've drunk it, you can refill it at any water fountain, dump the packet, and voila, you have a tasty beverage, at Scarby, any of the beverage vendors will gladly fill your tankard with ice at no cost)
small scissors
small containers of salve (like aloe vera or whatever you like to use on cuts/scrapes)
small bottle of ibuprofen, a few benadryl, my prescription medications
sunblock
mints
pen and paper
safety pins
hand lotion

A friend of mine also carries her farkle game board & dice in her basket.
Another friend carries small containers of almonds which help with her migraines

There is a good group of us that gather in the same area each day, and there is almost always someone at the table(s), willing to watch over baskets while we are gone for a few minutes, so we don't have to tote them everywhere.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Kate XXXXXX

If they don't allow foods to be brought in, how do the faires cope with folk on special diets? 

dragongirl

If someone has a special needs diet, you just need to tell the kind folks at troll and they usually have a special colored zip-tie or band to put around your basket so that security knows that you have already discussed this with someone.  I am a simple soul so I just bring 2 belt pouches one for car keys, cell phone and wallet.  The second is for nose spray, tissues, sunscreen, lip balm, and allergy pills.  I also have a large possibles bag for my purchases. 
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Trillium

Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on May 29, 2010, 02:46:17 AM
If they don't allow foods to be brought in, how do the faires cope with folk on special diets? 

Since I've always brought my boy with me and my hubby is diabetic, I've always brought snacks in my shoulder bag.  When my boy was a baby/toddler, I always stashed food in his stroller.  TRF isn't going to search your stuff but i'm sure they won't let you walk in with a cooler!  If nothing else, keep a cooler in the car and go out to the car to eat.
Got faerie dust?

Hausfrau Monica

Huzzzah Aellyn!!! Fayre is coming finally...  I am so looking forward to being there and meeting you and yours.  I will be only able to attend on Thursday and Friday but the rest of the family should be there all weekend.  I hope to have some time tomorrow and in the evenings this week to get the garb out and repaired/fitted.

In answer to your question... I too carry a large basket which I am meant to be selling pretzels from (but haven't had the time to get prepared for this fayre) which keeps handy our mugs, my small purse, cell phone, camera and water.  I have a lot of bells tied onto it (my own way to celebrate the fayre mood every day)

From my last conversation with the organizers, there are going to be several food vendors there but there is no problem with bringing a cooler and leaving it in your vehicle or at your campsite.  I will likely be bringing our own food and setting a time for the family to all gather in one place.

The other accessories I have on me are most importantly my hat and a shawl.  The sun and I don't get along very well.  I will be looking for a proper belt for a pouch and a mug frog.  There is supposed to be a leather crafter there and lots of other vendors.  I have been saving my tip money to spend at fayre.

I am so excited...fayre is finally here.

Baroness de Vale

A hint for belts is to go to your local thrift store. I have found some really beautiful leather belts that look great with garb. This can be temporary until you find a vendor with a belt you really love. Or it may be perfect as is. It's especially great for little kids who are constantly growing. Our local Goodwill sells used belts for 99 cents and they always have a selection of leather ones.
As far as what to take, I have a couple pouches on my belt. They hold a small wallet, money, medicine, car keys, tissues, and hand sanitizer. My 4 and 8 year old girls have their own mugs and their own pouches for a little spending or tipping money. They love to tip the entertainers! We all have parasols which can be carried on our belts using arm bracers when the sun's too hot. My husband has a large woven bag to carry anything we may buy. We generally eat lunch at the car both to save money for tipping and to be in a calm atmosphere so the youngest will actually eat without being distracted. Good luck and have fun!

Lady Renee Buchanan

I just bought 2 leather belts from Walmart that were on sale for $7 each.  They are woven leather and look like celtic knots.  There are silver round things spaced evenly, bigger than a 50 cent piece, and they sort of look like Celtic circles, too.  Even though they really aren't.  I bought one in black and one in brown.  I can tell you that the XL size will fit a Medium-Large sized man, because my friend bought one too.  It comes in women's sizes, but either a guy or a gal can wear it.

Definitely worth the money.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Aelynn of Georgina

Huzzah Monica!!!!!  We aren't able to get up there until Saturday. :(  I am sooooo sad that we won't get to meet! I was really looking forward to meeting someone I am actually familiar with.  Be sure to show your family my profile photo (the pink ensemble is what I will be wearing this weekend) and tell them to introduce themselves when they see us.

I actually found matching leather belts for my lovie and myself... at the dollar store, of all places!!! They are "Dockers" label though so I know they are at least of decent quality.  They have cut out diamond shapes all the way around, making it easy to hang pouches/clips from.   I do have a dagger that I could bring, but since my lovie doesn't have anything yet, he might wear it until he finds something he likes. 

Which brings up another question: how do you wear a weapon so that it is considered "safe"?  I have heard of having it "peace tied" but I don't know how to do that?  My dagger has a sheath that has snap closures to ensure it doesn't fall out, but I doubt that is good enough.  I can show you a picture of it if that will help...

I am soooooo excited for faire!!!!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Cheers,  Aelynn

Lady Renee Buchanan

I use brown embroidery floss (the sheath is brown, if it was black, I'd use black) and wrap it round and round and criss cross it over the handle and then tie in a knot and a double bow.  No faire has ever complained at how my dagger has been tied.  I think some people use leather strips.  You have to tie it in so that someone won't be able to come up to you, undo the button or snap and remove the weapon from the sheath.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

dragongirl

Most faire will also have zip-ties to peace bond weapons.  In fact my local faires insist that they personally zip-tie your weapons with their zip-ties, usually in a bright yellow or orange to ensure that they were inspected at the gate.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: dragongirl on June 01, 2010, 01:40:11 AM
Most faire will also have zip-ties to peace bond weapons.  In fact my local faires insist that they personally zip-tie your weapons with their zip-ties, usually in a bright yellow or orange to ensure that they were inspected at the gate.

If you hate the bright orange or yellow, sometimes they'll let you keep what you have on there, if it looks sufficiently tight enough that it can't be removed.  I don't like the bright plastic, so that's why I tie it in before I go.  I only went to 1 faire ever that put a plastic tie over the tie I made.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Aelynn of Georgina

Thanks for all the input and help!  You guys are the BEST!
We are all so excited to go to faire this weekend, and because of you guys I know we will look great and have tons of fun! :)

I've borrowed a couple of tankards from friends, and I have a list of little things to bring with us and have started gathering them by the front door.  We have decided that milord will wear the knife (it's not a dagger, as he corrected me LOL) until he buys himself a sword.  I am going to wear a flower garland, but also bring a straw hat just in case.  And it's been much easier figuring all this stuff out with the help off all the magnificent rennies on these boards!

The only thing left is for me to finish my youngest daughter's chemise today, and figure out what milord is going to wear on his feet.  We are in a bit of a panic about that because we don't know where to find a pair of tall boots at this time of year.  He doesn't even have anything remotely HA or even period... I still have to check the local thrift shops, but if we have no luck my last resort is to buy him a pair of riding boots and we have to do that today because he is working for the rest of the week (he's a pilot so he'll be gone) until Saturday.

Wish us luck!

Hausfrau Monica

Good luck with the boot hunt.  Our son is out doing that right now too.  He and the girlfriend are tearing apart the used clothing store and sending me cell phone pictures and asking questions....too fun.  I love that they are so into it that they are doing it themselves.

Hopefully....hopefully...I will be able to attend early Sunday morning since I don't start work until twelve.  It would be worth getting garbed up for only 2 hours if we could connect.  Any chance of that happening?

Aelynn of Georgina

Monica (it's still weird typing that to someone else! LOL) -

Milord decided to wear his motorcycle boots for now.  They don't look half bad, but certainly aren't HA by any means.  At least they aren't his running shoes! LMBO 

How early?? It might very well be a possibility.  Especially if the weather is as yucky as they are calling for on Saturday.  I would love to meet you! We aren't sure where we are staying on Saturday night, because milord didn't end up booking the room at Cranberry. (GRRRRR!) Do you know of anywhere that won't cost us an arm and a leg?