News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Lacing bodices

Started by Aelynn of Georgina, May 31, 2010, 02:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aelynn of Georgina

Please forgive my "newbness" (as my kids would call it) if this seems like a silly question, but when lacing a bodice or gown are you supposed to start at the top or the bottom?

Sir Michael Geare

From my understanding...peasant bodices are usually laced from bottom to top.  While higher stations do it in reverse.  This of course is from what I've been told.
'The exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it
increases strength, and sharpens the wits.'

Lady Renee Buchanan

I lace from the top to bottom, then do a double knot at the bottom so it doesn't come untied.

That way, I don't have laces flopping in my boobs and bothering me.  I don't know what is historically accurate and if I'm lacing wrong for whatever class I'm supposed to be, but I find that the most comfortable.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Jessi

I lace from bottom to top because it is easier for me. According to my BF I should lace top to bottom because that is how a wench would be laced for "ease of access". LOL!! :D
Jessi

"Normal is not as common as you think."

gem

It's totally your preference. As far as I'm aware (Sir Michael's amusing fair lore notwithstanding), there's no "right" way to do it.  I lace bottom to top, as that feels more natural to me, but YMMV.  I know that when lacing a corset, there are arguments for either top-down or bottom-up, based on how much support you'll get, but to be honest I haven't experimented with it.  With spiral lacing, I believe it's easier to maneuver the laces single-handedly behind your back if you're laced top-down, and my gowns that lace on the sides do lace down.

I don't recall ever seeing the *ends* of laces in any period artwork, although there are lots of depictions of laced bodices (particularly in Italian and Flemish art). Now I'm interested to see if I can find any lacing ends in the portrait evidence!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I lace Top to bottom.

Whatever is best for you, go with it.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

dragongirl

It depends on the style of bodice or corset you are wearing and how you want to "present" the girls and nip your waist.  top down works more with your natural line and gives you a smoother line.  Bottom up will push the excess skin and body fat up to your bust area.  Somepeople lace this way for max heavage.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

ArielCallista

Lacing from bottom to top is sign of being pregnant...but I think that's front lacing only.
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

gem

Quote from: ArielCallista on June 01, 2010, 07:22:57 AM
Lacing from bottom to top is sign of being pregnant.

??? According to what source?

Lady Rosalind

IMO, I would think top to bottom would be more comfortable for pregnancy, plus it would support things better, and allow for ease in the belly.

I go top to bottom for my spiral-laced corset, and my side-back lacing on my black velveteen gown. For my red pirate dress, however, I laced bottom to top to get cleavage, LOL!  ;D

irish

I lace top to bottom and double the knot, too. I also find I can sinch the waist tighter that way.
More cleavage bottom to top? Hmmmmmmm...... ::), going to have to try that! LOL!
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Elennare

If it's got front lacing, I got bottom to top, usually.  I tried it top to bottom once, and that worked fine too, but I did notice I didn't get as much "lift" that way.

If it's side lacing, I ALWAYS go top to bottom.  Who wants a bow/knot in their armpits all day?  :)

Back lacing, I tried it top to bottom, and bottom to top, and had issues doing it myself with both options.  Personally, I think it works much better to do it "corset style" where it tightens from top to middle, and bottom to middle.  I can try to describe in more detail if you want, but I think examples can be found online pretty easily.

Really, I think you should experiment and find what works best/feels best for you! :)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

McGuinness

One of our faire's assistant costumers brought this up during one of my fittings lately. She said she's found that top to bottom tends to flatten better for a lot of Tudor/Elizabethan court gowns where they were after the flat chest and volume around the hips, while bottom to tops gives more cleavage. Depends what you're looking for, I guess. I find bottom to top more comfortable, personally.

I've heard the pregnancy thing somewhere too, but I thought it was top-to-bottom (on a front-lacing bodice) was a sign of pregnancy since it leaves more room for the belly.

raevyncait

For me, it depends on the bodice or corset

My corset, which has a busk in the front and a lace in the back, is laced either top to middle and bottom to middle if I am needing both laces, or bottom to top in order to give me maximum OOMPH for the girls

My bodices, which are both Moresca Max bodices, are laced top to bottom on the sides, to allow for a bit more cinch at the waist, and bottom to top at the back for maximum fluffage of the girls.

the good part about the top to bottom on the sides is that it makes it very easy for me to get out of on my own if necessary.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Queen Genevieve

For my corset I do both.  :o Up from hips to waist, down from top to waist.  For the bodice I go up.  What ever feels the best.
Queen Genevieve