News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Favorite Movie to watch for killer Garb?

Started by Adriana Rose, June 03, 2010, 11:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriana Rose

I was just reading the Robin Hood thread and this popped to mind. What movies do you guys like to watch and drool over the costuming?

I must say that my favorite is Dangerous Beauty and Marie Antoinette

Who's next?

LadyShadow

I like watching The Duchess and drooling over her dresses and coats.  And A Knights Tale.  Granted those are more fun looking, I love them.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Bonny Pearl

Oh yes The Dutchess and Dangerous Beauty for sure!  I also like Excalibur, Guinevere's wedding gown was so sparkley lol!  ;D
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Athena

Shakespeare in Love, Elizabeth, Ever After, Romeo and Juliet, Zefirelli (sp) version.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Ambrosine

LOVE LOVE LOVE Dangerous Beauty , both Elizabeths, Pirates of Carribean 2 and 3 for pirate garb, Cutt Thoat Island, Three Musketeers (Disney version) and Casanova, Man in the Iron Mask. I like some aspects of Knights Tale as well but they are a little more funky, favorite is Chaucer's coat!
Stitch Witch of the Harbinger

gem

LadyShadow

Quote from: Lady Raven on June 03, 2010, 12:30:03 PM
Pirates of Carribean 2 and 3 for pirate garb,

I so agree.  I'm tempted to make a version of what Keira wore when she was the head of the pirates.

May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Gwen aka Punstergal

If we broaden the definition of "garb" outside of renaissance stuff- I am particularly stricken and find myself rewatching House of Flying Daggers and Memoirs of a Geisha. I also am currently staring over and over at the dress jacket that the bad guys wore in "I Spy" (the newer one, not the original)- I am going to try to recreate it, with a slight alteration on the sleeves, for my man's groom jacket for the wedding.

Now, for rennie-ish stuff, my favorite costuming to see over and over isn't from a movie, but a TV show-- the Madame de Pompadour episode of Doctor Who. They did an AMAZING job with her and the rest of court- I would KILL to have some of the dresses in that episode!
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

sealion

I love Dangerous Beauty! Not for the "courtesan" outfits but for the venetian gowns at the beginning of the movie.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

The Lady Mercedes

I was swooning over Dangerous Liasions....
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

squiregaby

I've been watching the Legend of the Seeker....and major costume envy.... she has some GORGEOUS costuming
Squire Gaby
Squire to the Knights of the most Noble Cause

Delireus

Vanity Fair is very nice, and The Tudors series makes me drool over the costumes every episode (though Mr. Meyers helps with that too ;D) Also the Elizabeth I two part thing HBO did was great. Most of the movies mentioned above as well, there are many pretty things to look at.
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

dragongirl

I love Lady Jane Grey and the BBC version of The Other Bolyen Girl.  My mom and I both watch The Seeker, I just laugh though because the though of fighting in a long flowing white gown in the woods and keeping the gown white is beyond us mere mortals.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Aunty Lou

For fantasy, well, let's be trite, and say Trisha Biggar's clothes for the women in the Star Wars 1-3... Padme's wedding dress, funeral dress, the blue thing she wore on Tatooine...  Other fantasy things are FarScape, and Firefly.
For history, Anne of the Thousand Days, both Elizabeths, and there's one I cannot bring the title to mind.  It starred Robert Downey Jr. as a physician to the court of Charles II...  PBS' version of Cyrano De Bergerac.
Nom nom nom!

Kate XXXXXX