News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tunic Help

Started by Spurik, June 17, 2012, 05:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurik

Hello everyone,

I am having a question on the topic of tunics and the like.  I have recently been looking at Ravenswood Leather and am interested in two items.
Now I like the design of the Bodice, however I am male and wondered if it would even "work" if I wore it. Specifically it seems as if it may drop to low.
How tight does a piece need to fit to be somewhat flexible?  The minimum chest on the men's jerkin is 36", but I'm thinking that the AA 30" Bust of the women's bodice would fit flat.

Vitals:
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 130-140lb (hasn't really varied for 15 years)
Chest/Bust: ~32"
Waist: ~30"

They are:
1. Leather Bodice - Same color pattern.

2. Leather Jerkin - I would choose a different color pattern.

gem

That woman's bodice is never going to fit flat on any body--it's just not constructed for it. Do you see that curved seam coming down across the bust, where the green side section meets the buttons? It's called a princess seam, and its entire purpose is to curve smoothly over the female bustline. In other words, the curve is in the garment itself--and unless you have the curves to fill it out, you'll get an odd (unflattering) hollow bulge on your chest.  I would also guess that a woman's garment with a 32" bust would have a corresponding waist measurement much smaller than 30" (32" would be close to something like an XS, while a 30" waist would be like a L, probably).

If you like the look of the bodice, I would inquire about custom work. It's quite possible they could make you a vest with the same styling (including the color blocking, green/brown panels). And because fitting a slim male form is generally easier than a curvy female one, they might very well do it for a very reasonable price.

Good luck!!

isabelladangelo

Everything Gem said plus you are discussing three very different objects.  A tunic should be a loose fitting garment.  Although it wasn't worn in the 16th C this way, I have seen people wear tunics under their jerkins.   Is that what you are discussing?   A bodice, as Gem stated, will not fit a male figure unless it's specifically designed for you - no matter the bust.  Also, a bodice is always going to look like a bodice.   If you want to cross dress, okay, but know that everyone will see you as cross dressing and not as "well, the bodice and jerkin looked the same to me!"   

I'd look at actual artwork from the period for further inspiration before buying anything right now. You don't want to buy something that is $$$ only to hate it a couple of years down the road.