News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Favorite Movie to watch for killer Garb?

Started by Adriana Rose, June 03, 2010, 11:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isabelladangelo

Eeck!  Some of the movies/shows mentioned make me want to go stabbity thanks to the costuming -or lack therefore of!   It drives me nuts to see a wee bit too much license taken with historical costuming.  I get that they can't do everything but there's a difference between license and throwing out actual research and doing what you feel. 

Ones I actually like for the Renaissance/Medieval:

Blackadder - I don't think this has actually been mentioned yet which is surprising.  Awesome show and gorgeous outfits.  Gotta love Queenie's gowns!

Princess Bride - amazingly accurate in some places

Ever After - neat jumping point for Italian Renaissance

Dangerous Beauty - Love the Venetian gowns worn by the noble women

Timeline - I actually like the surcote...

Les Visiteurs - Hilarious french movie about an 11th c knight coming to the modern (late 20th c) world.   Most of the costuming is modeled after the late 15th c but it's really good for what it is.

Anne of the Thousand Days - How artistic license and H/a should be!   Beautiful costuming and great movie

Kingdom of Heaven -sort of surprised no one mentioned this one either yet...

A Man for All Seasons  - the movie bored me but it has some pretty outfits in it

Elizabeth I - the HBO one that I really really loved....

Blue66669

That's the great thing about Hollywood. Movies are meant to entertain, and costumes are meant to decorate and inspire. Hell, I figure, since the stories aren't "by the book", there's no reason that the clothes should be either. I mean, you know, unless you're watching a PBS special on the matter...

I get a lot of my ideas from old barbarian movies from the 80's, and I'm hoping to do something more civilized someday. I'm definitely hot on Marie Antoinette and Dangerous Beauty. Both Elizabeth movies make my fingers twitch, and I've been dying to do something very asian inspired.
Blaidd Drwg

dragongirl

Quote from: isabelladangelo on June 23, 2010, 08:44:04 PM
Eeck!  Some of the movies/shows mentioned make me want to go stabbity thanks to the costuming -or lack therefore of!   It drives me nuts to see a wee bit too much license taken with historical costuming.  I get that they can't do everything but there's a difference between license and throwing out actual research and doing what you feel. 

I totally agree!  Besides my slight fit in the Robin Hood thread, I still twitch every time I think of the Other Bolyen Girl (Hollywood version).  There is a scene when Anne Bolyen is wearing a a Gabled Hood AFTER she wed Henry III.  Don't even get me started on that Gods & Goddesses series that was on The History channel.  They should have totally known better!
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

isabelladangelo

Quote from: dragongirl on June 24, 2010, 03:30:36 AM
I totally agree!  Besides my slight fit in the Robin Hood thread, I still twitch every time I think of the Other Bolyen Girl (Hollywood version).  There is a scene when Anne Bolyen is wearing a a Gabled Hood AFTER she wed Henry III.  Don't even get me started on that Gods & Goddesses series that was on The History channel.  They should have totally known better!

I'm of the mind that Philippa Gregory should be banned from ever writing again given the amount of license she uses with history.  To me, it's a disgrace to the people whose names she steals to do what ever she feels with them.  The costuming of the Other Boleyn Girl reflects that.   Actually, I saw some of the gowns in person with my cousin -she was horrified at the construction.  And she does interior design, not costuming at all.    You can see some of the photos I took up at : http://www.flickr.com/photos/jubileel/3233640072/in/set-72157613047735222/

I was far more into Queen Mary's red dress from Elizabeth the Golden Age -which has a lot of noteworthy outfits and far more professional finished.   Unfortunately, the pictures I took did not come out at all of it.   

Genievea Brookstone

Reguarless of what I am sewing its always LoTR extended Trilogy.
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

Doberman

Quote from: LadyShadow on June 03, 2010, 01:43:08 PM
Quote from: Lady Raven on June 03, 2010, 12:30:03 PM
Pirates of Carribean 2 and 3 for pirate garb,

I so agree.  I'm tempted to make a version of what Keira wore when she was the head of the pirates.

I thought I had a better pic, but this is all I can find on short notice.  :) 

My friend Andi wearing her version of the Pirate Queen outfit.  The white detail is all thick paint that she piped on.  The gold bits are all Sculpy.  She made Matt's Captain Jack too, of course.  :)
Doug "Doberman" Hillman

Grichels indentured servant.

LadyShadow

Oh that is soooo lovely.  I think I might really have to get off my rear and make me one now.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Rowan MacD

Quote from: dragongirl on June 24, 2010, 03:30:36 AM
I totally agree!  Besides my slight fit in the Robin Hood thread, I still twitch every time I think of the Other Boleyn Girl (Hollywood version).  There is a scene when Anne Boleyn is wearing a a Gabled Hood AFTER she wed Henry III. 
I didn't understand that one either.  In her novel, Philippa Gregory made a point of how much Anne hated the gabled hood and she never wore one.  She introduced the french hood to the English court and stuck to it because it flattered her face and neck, not to mention it was lighter to dance in.   Why the screen writer (or costuming director) decided to throw that in is beyond me.   

My all time favorite costume movie to date is Elizabeth (1998) and Elizabeth-the golden age.  The Virgin Queen outfit in silver and white made me drool.  Her coronation outfit was the closest I have ever seen to the Hilliard portrait. 

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady Kett

I read back through the thread, and the Showtime series, The Tudors was only mentioned once. We just finished watching seasons 1 - 3 on DVD and I love the costuming. I know they have taken liberties with history in the storyline, but how do they stand up on HA costuming?

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: Lady Kett on August 03, 2010, 07:32:42 PM
I read back through the thread, and the Showtime series, The Tudors was only mentioned once. We just finished watching seasons 1 - 3 on DVD and I love the costuming. I know they have taken liberties with history in the storyline, but how do they stand up on HA costuming?

My biggest costuming qualm with the Tudors is that all of the women have somehow lost their chemises... But they are beautiful costumes nonetheless.

Cilean

Quote from: Lady Rebecca on August 03, 2010, 09:44:27 PM

Yes Elizabethan gowns instead of Henricians, No SMOCKS, because  these ladies would never have called them "Chemises" we need to excise that term from English vocabulary...sigh, I know it is my pet peeve. There are some Henricians in the back as well background so why??

You can play the drinking game from seasons 1 and 2, where did we see the gown from which movie first? It is pretty fun and you will get drunk if you are good! LOL ;D

So since the gowns mostly came from other Movies depicting Elizabeth's Reign they are somewhat H/A, most of the hats though are not!

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

LadyShadow

I dont remember how I got there... But there was a website that showed most pieces of clothing, hats, jewelry, etc. and which movies or other tv shows that it can be found in.

Anna Iram

I do really love the dressing scenes in both Dangerous Liasons and Marie Antoinette. I love it when filmakers let us see all the intircate layered details of the undergarmets under those gorgous gowns.

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: LadyShadow on August 04, 2010, 08:54:34 AM
I dont remember how I got there... But there was a website that showed most pieces of clothing, hats, jewelry, etc. and which movies or other tv shows that it can be found in.

I think you're referring to costumersguide.com, which I find to be an absolutely wonderful research tool.

LadyShadow

It was kinda like that but it was off of Showtimes page and it had a table with links from there.  Wish I would have saved that site