News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Does this bother you?

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, June 03, 2010, 08:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raevyncait

I am one of the ones singing along, however since I know that my ability to be in the correct key is pretty much a crapshoot, I tend to sing quietly enough that nobody can hear me.

What I find much more annoying is someone who brings their own instrument (usually percussion of some sort), on which they've been getting "lessons"... which have NOT been successful, then proceed to "play along" with the band. Yeah, umm, you there, with the doumbek/djembe/bodhran/spoons/bones, STOP IT, you are FOLLOWING, not playing along, therefore you are a half-beat or so off, and while the musicians on the stage may not be able to hear it, I can, as can the other people sitting within 5 feet of you, and it's damned irritating, having the sound of some of my favorite tunes screwed up by a twit like you.  I understand that you would like to learn to play whatever tune they are playing, and I applaud your efforts, but PLEASE, sit in the back, or off to the side, instead of in the front row, smack in the middle.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Athena

Nope, doesn't bother me at all. I've been lucky not to be near anyone loud, off-key, and obnoxious. I like seeing people get into the spirit of the show, and if I really love a song I'll sing along myself. What annoys me to no end are screaming kids who won't stop, and their parents who refuse to leave. If the kid insists on having a prolonged tantrum, it's time to get up and walk away.

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Tink

Quote from: raevyncait on June 07, 2010, 10:35:01 PM
What I find much more annoying is someone who brings their own instrument (usually percussion of some sort), on which they've been getting "lessons"... which have NOT been successful, then proceed to "play along" with the band.

Wow, I can't believe anyone would do that (well, yes, I can technically believe it, but I've had the luck never to have seen it happen)
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Anna Iram

Owain Phyfe and the New World Renaissance hand out percussion style instruments to folks just *so* that they may play along. Not everyone gets it right, but it makes for a fun jam like session.

I have to wonder, Renee. If you were in church and the choir were singing...something not meant to be sung along to, and some child behind you suddenly lifted her not so on pitch voice to sing along and loudly...would that be so awful? Would you want to shush her, or would you be glad she was so happy to be there?  Isn't it sort of the same thing?

Lady L

You know, Anna, I was thinking that very thing, but didn't want to post it. Thanks for bringing that up.
I didn't mean to veer off the original post in my post yesterday. My point was that to me, it all becomes background noise, so it doesnt' matter who is singing what. After listening to the pickle hawkers, the street performers, etc. for 10 hours a day, I just tune it out.
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Anna Iram on June 07, 2010, 10:11:59 PM

...I also find it joyous when Christophe the Insultor gets ahold of a phone weilding boob and we get to vote him/her in as the grand insultee for that show. hehehe... :D

I think I like that young lad! Bravo!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Kate

I thnk there are certain times for sing-alongs and certain times to listen.  Pub sings, rowdier groups, or groups with such a fan base that they MUST have the largest stage I think are okay to sing along with.  If the king is singing, I sit quietly.  if it is a quiet, soft song, I listen and sing in my head.

Get the Bawdy Boys going and I don't shut up.

Start with some Johnnie Jump Up and I'm YELLING lyrics instead of singing them

Some groups WANT the audience participations.

I must agree that I get more irritated with cell phones or other convos at shows.  I've gotten up and walked away when my phone rings or someone wants to chat.

To each their own!  I'll make sure to not sing if YOU'RE at the same show, Lady Renee!  :)
Kate
Pink'n Penny

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Anna Iram on June 07, 2010, 11:41:22 PM
Owain Phyfe and the New World Renaissance hand out percussion style instruments to folks just *so* that they may play along. Not everyone gets it right, but it makes for a fun jam like session.

I have to wonder, Renee. If you were in church and the choir were singing...something not meant to be sung along to, and some child behind you suddenly lifted her not so on pitch voice to sing along and loudly...would that be so awful? Would you want to shush her, or would you be glad she was so happy to be there?  Isn't it sort of the same thing?

Anna, church is not faire.  Anyone who sings praises to God, loud or soft, on key or off, should never be quieted.  And it doesn't bother me at all, because it usually happens almost every Sunday at church.  "Those who sing, pray twice."

Faire is different.  Someone sitting right next to me, singing loudly, so I can't hear or enjoy the show I came to hear - that is what bothers me.  If the act encourages singing along or like Owain does, gives out instruments to play along, that is fine.  The performer wants the participation.  But if not, I'd prefer that someone sing to themselves, softly.  Not stop singing totally.  Just not bellowing.

Kate, I'll sit and sing with you, how's that!    ;)
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Kate

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on June 08, 2010, 07:03:32 AM
Kate, I'll sit and sing with you, how's that!    ;)

Sounds good!  For what I lack in tone, I make up for in passion!  :)
Kate
Pink'n Penny

Anna Iram

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on June 08, 2010, 05:08:37 AM
Quote from: Anna Iram on June 07, 2010, 10:11:59 PM

...I also find it joyous when Christophe the Insultor gets ahold of a phone weilding boob and we get to vote him/her in as the grand insultee for that show. hehehe... :D

I think I like that young lad! Bravo!

Yeah, it's pretty funny. What really cracks me up is they stick around and take the insulting instead of just leaving the stage.  :D

It's all in good spirited fun.

Queen Bonnie

I can't stand cell phones at faire.
Afraid I do sing along sometimes- but try to be quiet about it- unless I am performing. I can't help myself! LOL!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Lady L

I remember a few years ago, when I was serenaded in front of my shop. In that case, I would not want someone singing along, well...unless they were serenading me also! ;D
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

DonaCatalina

I can say that the sing-along people annoy me a whole lot less than people talking loudly on cell phones, screaming at their kids who are out in the lane and just generally holding a loud conversation amongst themselves.

The King's Pub Stage at Scarborough is right next to the bungee swing. Unless you go to the 10:30am show you can't even hear the performers over the screaming kids.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Queen Bonnie on June 08, 2010, 02:37:57 PM
I can't stand cell phones at faire.
I can't stand cell phones anywhere, except for emergencies.

If you were in the middle of a conversation with someone, and another person walked up and interrupted, you wouldn't put up with that, would you?  Well, if you're having a conversation with me, and you answer your phone, don't expect me to be around when you get through with your phone conversation.  Cell phones have made people extremely rude. Nim got me one to keep in my car for emergencies. If I have an emergency, the first thing I'll need to do is figure out how to turn it on.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Jade Sapphire Emerald

I don't know if this has been said yet but I felt the need to say it...

I've been involved in stage and choir for 15 years.

There is a difference between a stage performance at a closed venue and a stage performance at a faire. Just like there is a difference between and opera and a rock concert.

I find it to be a compliment when people start singing along because 1. I'd rather they be singing along (even with a newer song, or a version of a song) showing that they are enjoying the music than sitting down and then getting up to sit somewhere else because they weren't enjoying it and 2. because it's expected in such an open place! I've only been to BARF and Sarasota Medieval Faire so I don't know what it's like at other faires.

I have a friend who is a faire performer and I sing along to his songs. I even get up and dance behind the back seatings. I asked him if it's too much and if he wants me to stop and he said, "NO! It helps get people into it. Keep doing it!"

There have been times in Faire audiences that I have started singing the words to a song I know and someone else pipes in, and then two or three others will and before you know it, the artist has said that if anyone knows the words to any song to feel free to pipe in!

If a performer doesn't want someone to sing along at an event like a Renaissance Festival then book a concert hall where no one can open the doors except between songs.

If no one does anything during the songs except clap, the artists sees it as the audience didn't enjoy the show and feels obligated to clap because they happen to be sitting there.

That's how I felt when I was on stage...

Just wanted to pipe some two cents in...
-Formerly Emerald Rogue-
-AKA Jaden Karr-