News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Court Dance Topic

Started by Wolfhawker, June 04, 2010, 04:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfhawker

I would like to see about opening a new topic.  I feel like if it progresses well, then it might need to be looked toward trying to create a section toward this topic as music and all has.

One of the things I looked forward to each and every day at the Faire was my chance to learn and do Court Dance.  I have always loved to dance, and I really mean dance; where this is a set method and pattern. I worked on trying to learn as much dance this year as possible and then recall it properly so as to not embarrass my partner on the dance space.  I like being able to do the court dance properly so that I am showing off my partner and myself and the abilities on doing it the best I can and allowing them to do the best they can without worrying about me doing my proper part. The court dancing allows the partners to (as one of my instructors expressed) to 'show the wares'. I have always viewed the dance as a means, for one dance, to court someone who is unavailable.  It is fun and can make one feel very wonderful, at least for the length of the dance.
-----------
Here is the 'meat' of the subject:

What court dance do you know
- name of movement?
- version you know (Italian, French, English)?

Where do you learn,
- outside of faire?
- at what faire?

Were you / are you
- a participant ?
- a playton ?
- other?

What faires have what movements available for learning ?

What dance movements do you want to learn?

What music and external resources do you have outside the faire for practice (dance club, internet, study, books, video, etc.)?

Na Fir Dileas
Clan McLotofus - The Order of Culloden Moor
QOH/QRHG
IBRS #1654
RMG #921
Assassin's Guild
RenRat Nat

Evie McCann

I personally have never danced at faire, but want to badly. Unfortuanately, I don't get to attend enough to make it a habit. My home faire is Scarborough, so if anyone from there would have pity on me and maybe {shuffles feet, looks at the ground} send me a link to a site or teach me some steps via e-mail I would be most appreciative. Maybe I can rope one of my boys into partnering with me for practice. ;D
aka. Lady Eve

Tink

A long time ago, back in high school, I used to go to dance classes at a community center in the North Dallas area.  I don't remember exactly where it was, but a lot of Scarby participants and playtrons went as well.  It was fun!  Unfortunately, I don't remember much of the steps anymore.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Tink on June 04, 2010, 07:46:53 PM
A long time ago, back in high school, I used to go to dance classes at a community center in the North Dallas area.  I don't remember exactly where it was, but a lot of Scarby participants and playtrons went as well.  It was fun!  Unfortunately, I don't remember much of the steps anymore.
Walnut Hill Rec center I believe. The classes were taught by the SCA dance guild which no longer has a presence in this area.
Known World Dance has some information links online but the next Symposium is not until 2011.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

auntiegiggles

I am a playtron that loves to dance.  The first time I learned court dance was at a New Year's Eve party with a Renaissance theme at a local vineyard. It was about two years ago.  So I am still very much a newbie.   My husband and I didn't leave the dance floor until the band needed a break.  It was sooo much fun!  We learned everything from reels to duck the oyster (?-don't remember its exact name) - the later dance was complicated but fun to learn. Last year at faire (MNRF) we also learned some basic dances and I think they were Scottish - not positive. I assumed they were Scottish since the musicians were playing the bagpipes  ;D
Everything goes better with giggles

Tink

Quote from: DonaCatalina on June 05, 2010, 07:44:44 AM
Quote from: Tink on June 04, 2010, 07:46:53 PM
Walnut Hill Rec center I believe. The classes were taught by the SCA dance guild which no longer has a presence in this area.
Known World Dance has some information links online but the next Symposium is not until 2011.

I'm pretty sure that was it!  I wish we had something like that where I live now.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Merlin the Elder

I believe my wife would kill for me to learn to court dance.  I'm a long-time musician (on the side) and just never really learned to dance. Plus, it's in the Musician's Union Code of Conduct that you just don't dance  ::) ...

Even though we go to Scarby every year, I keep finding things that I didn't know existed there. Is there a court dance instruction? That would be cool! I just found out a few weeks back that they have a customs and etiquette "class."
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Wolfhawker

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on June 06, 2010, 10:21:04 AM
....  Is there a court dance instruction? That would be cool!

Yes there is... It happened at about 4 in the afternoon, prior to the court dance in front of the King's Pavilion.  It was taught by some of the nobles to allow the others to become more involved in the events.  I took lessons this year and I am looking forward to becoming more involved next year (read: learn everything, dance everything).

We learned the following pieces this year:
Amorosa - Italian/Spanish and French versions (Has to do with hand location and interaction between partners)
Spagnoletta - Spanish
The King's own (can not remember the proper name for it, though) - English
One where each couple are separated by one arms length across from each other; formed up in two lines - Italian/Spanish and French version (interaction between partners)

I have the music for the first two from Cantiga http://www.cantigamusic.com/. "Amorosa is on the 'Live' album and "Spagnoletta" is on the 'Martha's Dragon' Album.
Na Fir Dileas
QOH/QRHG
IBRS #1654
RMG #921
Assassin's Guild
RenRat Nat

Master James

I am part of the court at the Virginia Renaissance Faire and we have a dance set every day that we invite the patrons in to join. You will notice that most of the dances are Italian in nature as they were the ones that invented many of the dances that the courts of Europe would then emulate and dance.  Dances that we have done or are doing are:

• Contrapasso en Riota - Italian dance done in a circle
  • Costallano - Italian dance
  • Pavan - French prosessional dance
  • Tinternell - French dance (very simple dance that can be done to any 4/4 music)
  • Bella Giosa - Italian dance done by groups of 3 dancers
  • Schiarazula Marazula  - Italian dance also known as the Minstrel's Revenge because they can play the music as fast or slow as they want
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

VIII

Quote from: Wolfhawker on June 06, 2010, 01:14:34 PM
Spagnoletta - Spanish

The Spangoletta that we do was created at Scarborough Faire (not an historical dance at all)
The King's own is the Mannschaft (sp?) Pavane
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Bronwyn Blackmantle

My daughter was an Arthur Murray dance instructor, and occasionally when they would have a costume party she would teach a couple of period dances. They were great! I wish there was someone with her qualifications teaching court dances at the PARF. Unfortunately, she lives in Florida now, or she might offer her services.  :(
IWG #2904 MCL
Home Faire - PARF

Wolfhawker

Quote from: VIII on June 08, 2010, 10:15:55 AM
Quote from: Wolfhawker on June 06, 2010, 01:14:34 PM
Spagnoletta - Spanish

The Spangoletta that we do was created at Scarborough Faire (not an historical dance at all)
The King's own is the Mannschaft (sp?) Pavane

I thank you, your Majesty, for helping provide this information. Any and all information you have to help make this topic well verse is welcome.
Na Fir Dileas
QOH/QRHG
IBRS #1654
RMG #921
Assassin's Guild
RenRat Nat

Baron Dacre

Hmm.. One thing I would caution on is that "Court Dance" is not "Country Dance" done with your hands up (Are we leading a horse or a lady???). While I was doing some research on youtube (not the best resource), I hit a great deal of that!

Where do you learn: I've learned at court's rehearsals.

Were you / are you: I am a participant. I've played John Davies (poet, author of "Orchestra") for approximately 8 years. I am auditioning for a new role  for next year!

Participation Dances (dances our court calls the public into)
Pavane - french (I think)
Montard - french (again, I think, 8 steps to the left, turn in 4)

Dances I know (court only)
La Castallana - italian (Pleasure Faire court uses this as our "change-partner" dance)
Contrapasso in Ruato - italian (in a round, I can do this one while reading as part of a bit)
La Villanella - italian
Bella Gioiosa - italian (spinny dance, the last bit is almost always done wrong)

Dances I can fake with a strong partner:
o Ben Mi Ca Bon Tempo - italian (scoochie - schoochie dance)
Legedria D'Amore - italian (groups of 3)
Fidelta - italian
Gregory Fiennes
10th Baron Dacre of the South
(Baron Dacre)

Wolfhawker

i just purchased a book at B&N called:

"Court dance of the Renaissance- A New Translation and Edition of the 'Nobilta di Dame' (1600)"
by Fabritio Caroso
Na Fir Dileas
QOH/QRHG
IBRS #1654
RMG #921
Assassin's Guild
RenRat Nat

Brenna

Dancing would be amazing! Can you teach us at a gathering?? :)