News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

CAN'T STOP THE SERENITY 2008

Started by madmolly, June 02, 2008, 01:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmolly

Yes, it's that time again. The Arizona Browncoats are proud to present the 3rd Annual screening of Serenity.

In 2006 the Arizona Browncoats, along with Browncoats from 47 other cities, participated in the global Can't Stop the Serenity campaign to raise money for the charity Equality Now. A screening of director Joss Whedon's Serenity was held in both Tucson and Phoenix, contributing over $9,000 of the total $65,000 donated.

In 2007 we did it bigger and better, raising $11,666 between Tucson and Phoenix. Each city donated 20% of their intake to a local women's charity - Tucson donated $1,094 to WFSA  (Women's Foundation of Southern Arizona) and Phoenix donated $1,239 to GIFT (Growth Improvement for Female Teens). The remaining $9,333 became part of the total $106,000 donated to Equality Now.

We plan to top it all in 2008. Join us this summer for the best events yet. As the background kanji on our website says: "Together we can end violence and discrimination against women and girls around the world."

Please visit the website often as we update frequently. Hope to see you there.

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com/arizona/events.html

No power in the 'Verse can stop me....

madmolly

Now you all can buy your tickets for the Chandler shows online through Bookmans.

www.bookmans.com

Get them while they last. They are going fast.

francesca

Hi. This is my first time logging in. I happened upon this forum because my family and I are devoted Ren rats that spend 10 months out of the year just waiting for the faire to return to town. Then it's eight weeks of playing, with us visiting at least every other weekend. It's great to know that there are others like us out there! Now, I'm hyped to learn that there is also a following of Firefly folks as well. We discovered Serenity a couple of years ago, and naturally, that led us to the Firefly series. In fact, we just got done screening all 14 episodes with our kids last week. I'm sorry we found out about the Browncoats gathering too late, but at least we can plan for next year. Take care, all! Maybe we'll see you at the faire!

gypsymagick

Greetings, Francesca, and welcome to the site! It's nice to have a new "face" on here and we look forward to hearing from you!

francesca

Thanks, so much. It's so nice to meet up with friendly folk. I'll be sure to visit often. I'm about to start the daunting task of making new costumes for my brood for February, and yours are all so gorgeous in your photos. It's truly an inspiration! 

madmolly

Francesca! You're not too late! it's not until the 28th of June. At the Chandler Cinemas. There is still time. And if you are closer to Tucson you can go this weekend.

www.azbrowncoats.com

Hope to see you there.

francesca

Mad Molly, we're there!  Some local press we'd gotten hold of gave the wrong date, so I thought we'd missed it. We know a few other fans, too, so we'll bring them along and do our best to help make this a success. Thanks so much for the post - it's very nice of you to respond and give us the accurate info, and also to hear from like-spirited folks willing to share the fun. Hoping to see you there, too!

madmolly

Francesca- will you be at Tucson's or Chandler's? I'll be at Tucson's.

francesca

Hi, Mad Molly.
We'll be at the Chandler one, so sadly,we won't be running into you. Still looking forward to it, though, and we've been rounding up a few friends to go with us and  brushing up on a few Whedonisms. The 'verse keeps growing!

madmolly

Yay! Friends, lots of friends! The more the merrier. Francesca- buy a raffle ticket for the Buffy basket. I hear they put a lot of stuff in it. It is supposed to rock! But I know the girl that does the raffle baskets and last year her baskets were so fantastic. Sadly and alas, I did not win one.

Have fun! I will be sad not to meet you and your friends. But we will be having a shiny time in Tucson.

madmolly

Okay folks, if you are looking for something to do this weekend, get on out to Chandler to see SERENITY. You can get your tickets online at Bookmans Entertainment Exchange. And if you buy online from Bookmans you get 2 free raffle tickets. Shiny as hell.

Caylee has been working hard on this years raffle baskets and I hear they are fantastic. Judging from the donator's list they must be cram packed.

And on the agenda for the evening is our own Paul Knight, formerly of Allannah fame. And Bedouin Tribe will be out there in full force. Pat Connors, a former Local Yokel from way back will be warming up the crowd with some sing-along stuff. It promises to be a great time.

Get your tickets now!  www.bookmans.com

francesca

Greetings, Mad Molly! You must have been reading my mind (a very short read!). I wanted to log on and ask you how the  event on your side of the 'Verse went, and also to thank you for the info about the gift basket raffles. My spouse and young 'uns are getting geared up to attend on Saturday. and we've been viewing episodes of Firefly all week, as much as time and the "real" world will permit. Although, I still refuse to watch the very last episode, because that would mean having to admit that the series actually came to an end  :'( . Looking forward to a great time, and thanks for keeping everyone so well informed on the happenings of this fun event!

Did you win a basket?

madmolly

Francesca- You probably have watched the last episode, as they were shown out of order when on FOX.  :)

Yes, I actually won the Buffy crate (coffin). It was loaded with fun stuff. And I was totally shocked as I have spent untold millions on raffle tix at the past 3 shindigs and have not won anything.

But the best part was the drive down there. We girls listened to the soundtrack of Serenity and "On the Drift" by the Bedlam Bards. It was so shiny.

Have fun on Saturday. I am so jealous.

francesca

Hi, Mad Molly.
So glad to hear you won! I loved the stuff that they had to raffle - so many nice things, and it was a lot of fun. We went to the 7:30 showing. A friend of ours won a poster, and they gave out Fruity Oaty bars. And a very fine group of fans started a series of rousing choruses of "the Ballad of Jayne." Shiny! It was a kick to see Serenity on the big screen. I'm embarrassed to say that I never got to see the series while it aired on t.v. I first saw Serenity about a year and a half ago, and was instantly hooked, so I ran right out and bought the series on DVD. My hubby and kids then got interested, so now we're this household of Firefly fanatics. On the series DVD, the episodes are all lined up according to the order that they should have aired, instead of that weird out-of sequence thing they did while on t.v., so that's why I still haven't seen the last episode. Which is kind of dumb, really, since it can easily be argued that, technically, Serenity is "the last episode." (Oh, well. In my mundane life, I'm a sort of low-level bureaucrat, so obviously, logic isn't one of my strong points).
So, we sort of got on board after the ship sailed, but it's been a fun trip, anyway, ad we've met some very nice people along the way. It's been cool to see how many people really still enjoy the series. We'll mention it at work, or here and there, and we've found quite a few folks that share our fervor. I'm in your debt, Molly, for setting me straight about the showing times and dates. We had a great time, and will look forward to the next gathering. In the meantime, I'll be prepping garb for my family for the next Ren Fest, but there will definitely be Firefly episodes playing in the background as I do. And I'll be checking out the soundtrack, too!

madmolly

Francesca- a little bit of trivia...the episode "the Message" is the one they were filming when they got the news of their cancellation. It's the one where they end up shooting their army buddy Tracy and taking him home to be buried. If you look close enough, you'll see Joss in the crowd of mourners. He's dressed like an old man with a beard.

I am glad you had a good time. We're already planning next year's. Stick around. :)