News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Opening weekend roll call?

Started by mehan, June 08, 2010, 07:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuCoeur

with out a doubt i will be there...

room is booked...
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

GypsyWriter

So good to see friends preparing to gather once again!  I will be attending both days, with Black Matt & Rhiannon-the-Pink as well.

It has been a l-o-n-g winter.  Can't wait to see everyone again!
You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.
--Colette

Capt. Morgan

Well folks, best plan on enjoying "tasty beverages" either before or after Faire as we've just found out that the Pubs will NOT be opened for this season...and knowing what a bunch of fargin' iceholes the Trustee's have been...I'd be very, very careful about "Tailgates" or BYOB-ing at Faire this year since they could have the constabulary circling like a bunch of buzzards. It amazes me that it only takes a very few unhappy, frustrated and lonely people to mess with what the rest of us view as our break from the world of dealiing with unhappy, frustrated lonely people...

The sum of a Faire is NOT alcohol, I totally believe that...it's about friends and Faire family and sharing time and laughter and love, so I truly hope this does not put off anyone from coming...just thought you should all know before time and plan accordingly.

Looking forward in seeing you all this Season!
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

Arianwyn

I will be there regardless and if I could I would be there every weekend of that lovely Faire to support it in any way.  Sure, I like a bit of the spirits, but really, as you said Capt. Morgan, it is the people, the atmosphere.

I just don't understand how people get away with this behaviour, how does one get so set on a negative path that their entire focus is on destroying something beautiful?  What an evil, sad man to have this vendetta poisoning him.

So if we have a tailgate with juice, pop and water will they outlaw that too?

Athena

EPIC FAIL.

Sooo....are the trustees going to use taxpayer money to bust patrons for open containers in the parking lot?  ::)

I agree, faire is not about the alcohol, and I'm going to support GLMF no mater what. I'm just so frakkin' tired of the drama, though; and the unbelievably CORRUPT politicians that somehow (hmmmmm) keep getting reelected. WTF is going on in Trumbull TWP, is it something in the water?

I go to other faires and see how much the surrounding communities support them, then come home to this crap. It's incredibly sad and frustrating.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Capt. Morgan

We could gather in a circle at the Front Gates like those stalwart Who's in Whoville and begin singing so the Trustee's can hear that they didn't stop Faire from coming..it came...oh how it came!!

Dah who dor-aze! Dah who dor-aze! Welcome Great Lakes Opening Day!

;)
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

trevor ylisaari

Quote from: Capt. Morgan on June 30, 2010, 04:31:19 PM
I'd be very, very careful about "Tailgates" or BYOB-ing at Faire this year since they could have the constabulary circling like a bunch of buzzards.

Don't think that will be an issue.
Because of budget issues, Ashtabula County only has 1 partrol car for the entire county.
2 deputies in the 1 car, all other police staff are at the jail, the rest were laid off back in the spring.
http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=133951&catid=3

SirMichael

Hi all,

Several things to look at, this is only my opinion since I work in Law Enforcement for a living:

1. GLMF is on private property - so no open container laws under Ohio Revised Code - they can't stop you from drinking. Caution going home on the roads however, if you are over the legal limit of .08 BAC in ohio
2. We do have to be careful, if drinking not to act stupid or else the police could get you on drunk & disorderly. Never get in the cops face or argue with them, this could be obstruction of justice or resisting arrest. Be the fine upstanding people I know you all to be. The trustee's want us to act out and look stupid. Last years press did put some heat on them. The COunty is in no position to help the trustee's on this fight.
3. The biggest thing is to just have fun and don't worry about what the trustee's are up too...They are trying to use this to intimidate us. The faire does not go out of business by having the pubs closed. We can't go half cocked, and start issues ourselves.

See you all on opening weekend...let's make it the best faire in years.

Sir Michael of Mentor

Knight Commander - Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem 
Pontis Mori Quam Foedari - Deus Lo Vult!

DuCoeur

Many thanks Sir Michael...Tis good advice.

We will adapt...We will still have fun...We will still Toast each other, absent friends etc., and still raise a pint or two at the shows.

Lets put the Drama aside, come out and support the faire and the entertainment, and vendors.  Put that extra $20 or 30 (ok more like 50 or 60) that you would have spent on beer into a hat or on a new piece of garb.

Lets show those corrupt corpulent Bastards that we will Not be oppressed.  Viva la Great Lakes
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

mumsies

You can add Mumsies and the Mr. to your opening weekend list, along with 4 rennies in training. Got our season passes ordered and the motel room booked. Feels like it's been forever, can't wait to be back in the shire!

As for the drama, a good friend once said to me that our "faire family makes magic where ever we gather" , so let the magic begin.

Higgins

And they say magic isn't real!  They just haven't spent time with people like you. Can't wait to see our friend from Pa. Oh... and "Let the training begin!" Decour my friend is Syrac in tow with you for this trip?

mehan

Yes? What about the "Nevers oh-so silent before" Syrac? Scarlett? Morwyn?  List updated.  Mundania has thrown us a curve, but be there we will, though it will now be a middle-of-the-night mad dash through WVA rather than a nice leisurely tour.

mehan

Yippee - mundania gave me a break!  I'll be able to make a more leisurely trip to faire and not have to be back at work until Wed...... Yahooo!

But - still waiting to hear from Syrac, Scarlett and Morywn....

Scarlett

Quote from: mehan link=topic=12085.msg256566#msg256566 date=1278201294

But - still waiting to hear from Syrac, Scarlett and Morywn....
/quote]

I thought I heard my name mentioned...LOL.  Alas, I shall not be there opening day.  My son was invited to a birthday party for his best Star Wars pal and it cannot be missed.  In fact, my faire attendance will be quite limited this season due to scout activities with the boy.

However, I shall try to make it on Sunday.  Fingers crossed.....
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

LadyCatharine

The Lady Catharine Hampton of Cornwall shall

be  attendance..Both Days~~
'A feast is made for laughter
and wine maketh merry'