News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

:( Opening day

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, June 12, 2010, 06:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

It's 40 degree's out right now and raining at 5am. It is expected to rain all day and not get in the high 50's for opening day. I've been to faire with weather just like that and I did not enjoy it as I was wet and cold all day long.I think we will be missing opening day this year. I guess I'm not as die-hard as some. We taked of not goiing in garb but it's not the same and I'm not into wearing my warmest dress in mud all day long especially when it's up hill all day long.

I hope those that went had fun. better yet I hope that pstpone opening day 1 week.As tomorrow is going to be the same and we already had plans for Sunday.

My thoughts to those who work there and have to be in the cold rain. I really don't think crowds will be heavy.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Merlin the Elder

Sorry to hear that, for your sake.  My last day at faire this year, it was dry and mid-90s...your weather actually sounds pretty good in comparison.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Norfolk

There is no bad Faire weather; only unsuitable clothing!
Just call me "Your Grace"

Skip

Well CRAP, this is not how I wanted today to be.  I got up and went to herd up all my mega pixies and they are all cowering in the corner saying they can't see very well....  I am sitting here trying to decide, since I am only going to two faire's this year, if today is really the day to go now.  Looking at it from a photog's point of view this is not a great day overall.  I personally couldn't care less about rain or anything else but after going to the Scottish Festival last year and having it rain most of the afternoon (pictures were not great which is why I haven't even posted any of them yet) I am not sure.

Well at this rate I am sure my wife and I won't be there at opening cannon since she has been exhausted this week and today is one day she can sleep in.  I am old enough to know that if momma aint happy nobody's happy  ;D.  

I am waiting to hear from a guy I know in the Springs to see if it looks any better down there or not.

Just sucks is all and I am really looking forward to meeting Lady de Laney also.

angusmacinnes

Like Merlin said after closing day at Scarby, rain and 50 degrees sounds pretty darn good.  But hey each to his own.  Hope you guys make it out soon.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Baron on June 12, 2010, 07:49:15 AM
There is no bad Faire weather; only unsuitable clothing!

Freezing ones toosh off is NOT Fun. While I love rain and walking it it, I don't like it when it's near 40 degree's out. I and Toki have both camped in rain and it's not fun.

Oh we could come in mundanes but no fun. And being a Photog... Bad day for photos like Skip said. besides Skip IF you go we can hook up out sde of faire. Heck we are neighbors which partner makes us kin :)
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Amyj

Hopefully it's a sign that your season will be like St. Louis's...we started off with a cold wet rainy opening weekend, but ended up with a few PERFECT faire days and a record season for attendance.  I'll be hoping that is how your season goes: More perfect days than bad and record attendance!!! (I say go for it...the shared "misery" makes for good, cozy company ;) )
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

As much as Toki and REALLY Wanted to go to opening day we may not be able to go every Saturday this year like last.

Toki works 20 hours a week if even that on a good week and I am not working at all. Financially speaking we have to justify the money we spend and while faire is entertainment, we both agree that if we cannot go every weekend we want to make the weekends we do go the best we can. With $19.00 (Except with the BOGO free deal on three weekends) And the gas to travel 1.5 hours adds up to a bill or two that can be paid.

So if we are going to go to faire the weather needs to be good so we can make it the best experience we can.

Also as a photographer the lighting is not the best for shooting and I want to see garb not mundanes and nothing but bundled up people in cloaks.

And OH look a heavy rain cloud on the doppler is over Larkspur.

Enjoy the day those that go and stay warm
"The Metal Maiden"

Bonny Pearl

days like this are always good for piratey outfits!  boots, leggings, shirt, gloves and a nice warm coat or cloak!  easy to wear thermals under if necessary.  everything ya have on is pretty much washable and ya can have the 'devil may care' attitude. :)

we get that deep in your bones wet and cold weather toward the end of the trf run sometimes and that is what i like to wear.  :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Tanda

Sad not to see you guys at Faire today, but probably a good choice. It was wet, cold, and windy, and wet, and cold, and wet, and windy. And yet, I still managed to get sunburned....Huh?

We were there for opening, but did not tough it out until closing. The boys wimped out around 5pm. Not that I really blame them. I just had better clothes for the weather. However, I think I have about 5 inches of wet on the bottom of the skirt. Shoes soaked through, socks full on mud.

So, yeah, Save the fun for a day with better lighting.  :D
o/` I'm a little teapot...o/` No, I'm not, that would be silly. ::)

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Thanks Tanda for the validation. We thought all day of you brave souls that went or worked. I've been to the faire as I stated above when it was wet, windy, and cold and it was miserable. I bought a Half-Moon jacket that year just to stay warm. Toki now has it. It kept the rain off and the wind and kept me warm. But my feet were still frozen.

Hopefully next week will be better.
"The Metal Maiden"

Radu the Gypsy

Might that have something to do with sticking your boy in a miniskirt?

I too left early, around 4.  I had enough layers to keep me warm, but despite multiple coats of oil and wax treatments, my boots are simply not designed for the Wet.  It gets in around the stitching.  Wet cold bear feet do not make for fun times.

Celtic_Fae

Quote from: Amyj on June 12, 2010, 10:18:41 AM
Hopefully it's a sign that your season will be like St. Louis's...we started off with a cold wet rainy opening weekend, but ended up with a few PERFECT faire days and a record season for attendance.  I'll be hoping that is how your season goes: More perfect days than bad and record attendance!!! (I say go for it...the shared "misery" makes for good, cozy company ;) )

A Hoggetowne rennie reporting in: the same was to be said of our weather opening day and THEN we had to deal with SuperBowl Sunday the next weekend, but other than being a little chilly the faire days beyond the first were perfect faire days with record attendance (even during SuperBowl Sunday). So, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Got some friends with ties to Colorado, so my best to you all for a fun, safe, wonderful-picture-taking season!

Skip

As disappointed as I was not to be there on opening day I am glad I decided not to go.  I love the faire but my first priority is taking pictures and this weekend is not the one for that.  It's not that I can't take pics in this kind of lighting or weather but its more that all of you will be covered up, hair soaked and generally not looking your usual fantastic selves. So will have to put this off for a couple of weeks since I have a wedding to shoot next weekend.  

Still am looking very forward meeting all of you in person and Lady de Laney I will get with you and maybe we can have coffee between now and then and discuss pixie hearding!!!!

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend and the next two weeks as well.

Skip

aka Master ??????? Da Vinci
who was so fascinated by his older brothers invention that he became a pixie herder!!! (we'll go with this for now)

Hey- Arent You?

in spite of the cooooold & weeeet weather.... it was a good weekend with many bright spots and heartwarming moments.   found myself proud of all the participants for working through it. can't wait to do it in the sun.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke