News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

:( Opening day

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, June 12, 2010, 06:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoë

It was a pretty miserable weekend for those of us who had to stand in one place all day...all the people telling us "it was so hot this weekend, quit moaning and groaning, 50 sounds great" would not have said so if you had to be in one location all day.  Wandering the faire was not so bad, for the 30 minutes I got to do it.  Back in the booth was just plain cold.  Being damp and cold all day is not conducive to a good day at faire, decent tips or good health.  I would have gladly traded the 90 degrees.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Hey- Arent You?

Quote from: Zoë on June 14, 2010, 10:56:36 AM
It was a pretty miserable weekend for those of us who had to stand in one place all day...all the people telling us "it was so hot this weekend, quit moaning and groaning, 50 sounds great" would not have said so if you had to be in one location all day.  Wandering the faire was not so bad, for the 30 minutes I got to do it.  Back in the booth was just plain cold.  Being damp and cold all day is not conducive to a good day at faire, decent tips or good health.  I would have gladly traded the 90 degrees.
And that was the trick, to keep moving.  felt was sorry for the people trapped in place.  Keegan was about to die.  and I felt more energy drained then a hot day..... but I still wouldn't have missed it for the world.  and little Elijah absolutely refused to even consider leaving, or going to the car or camp.... he was all about playing.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Skip

I am not happy about missing opening day (would have been my first) but alas such is the life of a pixie herder.  There are just sometimes that you have to stay home and take care of the little buggers - big wooses. (ok I know I really butchered the spelling of that!!!)

Skip

Now leaning toward Calvo Di Vinci

Calvo Di Vinci il mandriano del pixie

(now we'll see who comes up with the translation to that)

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Skip on June 14, 2010, 11:11:00 AM
I am not happy about missing opening day (would have been my first) but alas such is the life of a pixie herder.  There are just sometimes that you have to stay home and take care of the little buggers - big wooses. (ok I know I really butchered the spelling of that!!!)

Skip

Well lets See

Calvo is Spanish for Bald... il mandriano del pixie is Italian for the drover's pixie
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Jess Devyne

We were there both days!  It was cold and wet and .... fun!  I ended up leaving really early (had a tummy bug hit me and dealing with that in a corset was not going to happen!) 

We went back yesterday for a bit.  It was a little warmer at times.  There was one point, right after the Barely Balanced act, we were standing near the Royal Pavilion and the sun came out.  It was so cool to hear the "Huzzahs" and such travel like a giant wave through the faire!  About 3 p.m., my feet were becoming numb, even with 2 pairs of socks on under my boots, so we left. 

The crowds were rather small both days, but it made it easier to stop and talk to the shopkeepers for a few minutes! 

Hopefully this next weekend, I will get to see a few more! 

The weather is predicted to be mid-high 80's this weekend! 

Rubiee

It really was amazing to hear the waves of cheers that came up when the clouds broke yesterday. The steam coming off all the buildings and cloaks (!) was nifty too. Too bad it got cloudy again.

Working a booth was tough, but we all proved we could do it! :D
Running around Sunday was fun as long as it wasn't raining. It was the rain that made it all sorta miserable. :)

But yes! Next weekend should be much, much better!
~* Rubiee Tallyn Hayes

Mistress of the Keys, Keeper of Pandora's Box, Vocalist and Glitter Bomber Extraordinaire.

Francisco Paula

The rain didn't really put a damper on my fun and even though i didn't pull out my camera much on sunday i did take like 130 pics on saturday. Got to love ziplok freezer bags to keep the camera from getting wet when not being used and only bringing it out when there is no rain.

Skip

Quote from: Lady de Laney on June 14, 2010, 11:29:07 AM
Quote from: Skip on June 14, 2010, 11:11:00 AM

Skip

Well lets See

Calvo is Spanish for Bald... il mandriano del pixie is Italian for the drover's pixie

Should have known you would get that (slightly different from my interpretation ).

I came up with (the) bald Da Vinci the pixie herder

Aernn

Working and staying down there this weekend was not good unless you were staying somewhere with heat.

Sitting in the booth did not help, and even though we had some space, with my ankles I couldn't pace to keep moving.

Got to chilled after staying there friday night and saturday day, so had to recruit a friend to drive me home Saturday night.  I just could not get warm.

Definitly one of the worst Faire weekends I have had.

I was glad to see those of you I did see though.
All know that only bards and pregnant women need ever explain themselves ~ Unknown (otherwise saying, can't remember)

Blushing

Sometimes it's not about being stubborn, or hard core, or working the faire and having to be there.  It's about bringing - or finding - your own rays of sunshine, drawing on that joy (if not heat).

Yes, I was miserable and cold for the most part, but there were things that made it worth it.  Hearing that massive collective cheer pass across the grounds was a magic moment.  Teaching Girl Scouts about the Renaissance and all the bits and details was also up there.  They were obviously cold, if mostly dry, but they still had a WONDERFUL time.
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Rubiee

Quote from: Blushing on June 14, 2010, 04:00:47 PM
Sometimes it's not about being stubborn, or hard core, or working the faire and having to be there.  It's about bringing - or finding - your own rays of sunshine, drawing on that joy (if not heat).

That is SO true!
~* Rubiee Tallyn Hayes

Mistress of the Keys, Keeper of Pandora's Box, Vocalist and Glitter Bomber Extraordinaire.

Adriana Rose

I really tried to keep all my girls warm! They rocked it even though it was freaking cold! It was a bright side that it was a slow weekend because my sitter broke down in Texas so Little Bit had to hang out in the shop, and the girls would take turns going on walks with him. He even tried his hand at hawking, it was the funniest thing ever with him sitting on the bench in his pirate outfit yelling " Flowers!!"

And you nailed it Blushing!

Mistress Charlotte

It was much colder standing in one place... I kept finding excuses to go to the bathroom just so I could walk about...  Had another confirmation in the good faith of people as I left my wallet in the bathroom and a stranger returned it to me with everything inside.... Huzzah to the goodness of strangers!  As a vendor the days stunk... but I got to talk to lots more people than I usually do so there's my silver and gold lining.  I knew they were in there somewhere.
Cause, "Cake or death?" That's a pretty easy question.
Anyone could answer that.
"Cake or death?"
"Eh, cake please."

Rosamundi

Saturday the 12th was a smiling day for us despite the cold - but my friend and I are largely of the "any day at renfest is a good day" mentality. 

My hat is definitely off to the cast and vendors, all giving 100% through that brutal weather. Well . . . the hat is figuratively off. You couldn't have paid me enough to go around bare-headed on Saturday. Great job, y'all!

Here's to sunny weather and sunnier prospects for the coming weekend . . .
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

Zoë

It was wonderful meeting you...was that Saturday?  Hope to see you again.  :)
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy