News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

When did you start sewing in general????

Started by Lady Kathleen of Olmsted, June 12, 2010, 10:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rebecca

The first sort of sewing I remember doing was working on some embroidery with my mom in 2nd grade, but I think it was pretty much a one-time deal.

In middle school, I worked on some outfits for my American Girl dolls, and my mom and I worked together to make Felicity and I matching costumes for Halloween.

But I really started sewing by myself, and using patterns, my junior year of HS. My first ever project was an empire-waist Renaissance dress. Then for Halloween my sr year, I made a Napoleonic gown and jacket, which was my first time slightly altering a pattern. I made both of these, as well as my Harry Potter costume, and winter ball dress that year, using my mom's Pfaff machine. (The dress I later altered to be my prom dress by hand, because the Pfaff is so tempermental.)

When I got to college, I added a minor in costume design to my degree. My freshman year, I took costume construction and costume lab, doing basic machine sewing and altering/repairs (with the industrial Jukis and by hand). I also dressed my first show, and got a job as a dresser at Busch Gardens for the summer. When I got back to school for my sophomore year, I took costume design, costume history, and got a job in the costume shop at school, where I also wound up dressing most of the productions at school. That summer, I made my Queen of Hearts gown, and built some of the costumes for a local production of Grease.

My junior year of college was where I really picked up, though. I designed the costumes for my school's production of The Importance of Being Earnest (and won best costume design for the year). I also took a costume patterning class, became one of the two wardrobe mistresses at my school, and built several more costumes. I drafted my first pattern over Christmas break, for a robe for my Yule Ball gown. In the spring, one of my friends commissioned me to make him a doublet and pumpkin pants for the Norman Medieval Faire in OK. It sounded really fun, so I decided to make myself garb, too, and tag along. Another of my friends wanted some garb for it too, so I made him some too (my first two paid projects!). After the faire, I pretty much immediately started work on my Tudor gown, where I cut together multiple patterns, greatly altering them. I have since gotten completely hooked on faire (obviously).

I spent the summer on the wardrobe staff for an opera company, came back to school for one more semester (where I started work on a set of fully boned 18th cent stays), graduated, and worked in costuming from Jan-May at Disneyworld. I just bought my first machine, a Viking 183, and a Kenmore serger. I have two more garb pieces in the early plannig stages/fabric finding stages - a 17th cent gown, and new Ren garb.

If anyone wants to see any of my work, some of it can be found in this album: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2025626&id=68202342&l=4056a62d71

DonaCatalina

I had to make a laundry bag with a draw string for my Home Economics classin the early 1970's. Back then it was a required course.
I did not sew again until 1990/1991 when we got involved in the SCA. We had gone to Scarborough in rented costumes, not an option for SCA events.

My start was with early celtic garb for comfort and later I gradually moved into Renaissance garb so that I could have garb for SCA and Renfaires. For many years in the SCA I taught classes and headed up the Clothiers Guild for teaching research and garb construction.
The pre 1550 Spanish styles drew me because they are more comfortable to wear in Texas weather. The Court styles for Spain did not become almost uniformly stiff and black until Carlos I was older.
So basically, other than minimal instruction in school, I taught myself every sewing trick I know by trial and error, and error.  :)
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LadyFae

When I was little I would "fix" and holes in doll clothes but that was about it.  When I started working at a bridal shop when I was 18 or so I had to hem tuxedo pants by hand.  That was the extent of my sewing until I decided to make AuntieGiggles noble garb two years ago.  Then last year I made a gown for my pregnant self and this year I made myself a new gown.  Ooh, ooh!  I just recieved my first sewing machine!  It was an early birthday present from my mom!  =)  Now to learn how to use it...
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Adriana Rose

My mom started my sister and I with the little cross stich things when we were old enough to figure it out.  After that I started quilting in 3rd grade when my 3rd grade teacher had us do a quilting project.

Then I started to try making doll dresses, that was lots of fun.

Mom had put us in 4H and I was in the decorate your duds catagory and I won Grand Champion for the jacket I did. I think I was in 4th or 5th grade I would drape anything that moved including moms dog lol. My brother would laugh at me. I messed around some more with doll cloths then I turned into a sullen pre teen lol. But the mom took me the Colorado Renaissance Festival and I wanted to sew like crazy! My grandma (who HATED sewing) bought me a dress dummy and I went nuts! I took home ec and the teacher told me that I couldnt sew and really should give it up.

Insert more sullen teen years here.

I made skirts like crazy after my freshman year then I got up the nerve to make a court gown for my graduation project. It looked great! Minus the fact that the bodice was 5 inches too big lol. And the greatest part was the Home Ec teacher came by and told me it was the most beautiful thing she has seen. Talk about revenge lol

Now I sew for my son and my family and I love every minute lol

Bonny Pearl

did a sewing project in high school home ec class.  can't even recall what the heck i made so i guess that won't count lol.

so officially i started sewing last month!  made a pair of pj bottoms and did a pretty good job.  now i'm thinking i need some new pillows for the outdoor furniture.  then probably a skirt for faire. :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Aunty Lou

I remember sewing by easy machine and hand, an apron.  In Girl Scouts.  Still have it around here somwhere.  I was 8. 
Then, we bought the Sears Kenmore solid state machine (With drop-in cams for patterned stiches!) when I was just going into high school.  It cost as much as repairing the air-conditioning would have, and Dad said, "sew cool clothes!"  So I did.  Taught muself most of it, buttonholes, fitting, different materials.  (Worlds of difference between velveteen and satin)  Made a good part of my wardrobe, and all the special stuff...
Geared up a bit when I worked for Monique's Fabrics, sewing demo models, Hallowe'en costumes, etc.
Joined a Community Theater group, Playhouse South, and was asked to costume Fiddler On the Roof.  Was applauded. Lots.  Bitten, bitten hard...
So whenever there's a period show, or a specialty, (You should have seen my Zaphod Beeblebrox, and the Bugblatter Beast!)  I go to it.  The challenges of the fabric search, the pattern search (I've also done my share of Frankenpatterning), the trims, and accessories...  well, it is such a creative outlet...

LadyStitch

When did I start sewing? Age 3.  And yes I have photo proof of it somewhere.  When I was 3 my grandmother held me in her lap as I controlled the treadle on a foot stool and maneuvered the fabric under the machine.  Granted my grandmother had the machine on the super ultra slow setting, but I was making pillows at the age of 3 for my dolls.  By the age of 6 I was hand sewing my dolls dresses.  When I was 7 my mother bought me a plastic canvas cross stitch set for Christmas. I had it complete by dinner time that night. :)  She wasn't happy about that.
When I was 8 my grandparents got me a toy sewing machine for me to play with, the problem was I was actually reading my "how to make simple sewing projects" books, and trying to make actual garments with it.  My grandfather went and got $200 bucks out of his savings and bought me my first sewing machine (I still have it btw).  With in the week I was buying doll patterns and making my own doll clothing. 
By the age of 12 I was taking the Home Ec in school.  When it came to the sewing projects my teacher was a bit upset.  The project that should take all class to do I did in less than 10 minutes. Then when we were given a project that was to be our "big class challenge", she encouraged me to do the expert level project (A black and white cat stuffed animal.). It was to take me 2 weeks of working 1 hour a day.  It took me 5 days.  I had bought a second toy to make that was an "advanced" one. I had it done in 3 days.  By then the teacher just gave up and told me as long as I got my sewing projects done and didn't disrupt the class I could do other homework when I got done.
I got my first commission sewing for a class mate when I was 15.  Her mom was stuck on how to finish a skirt suit. She paid me $35 bucks to finish it for her.  Not a lot of money but it did start a spark.
I started making costumes when I was 15.  We were required to do a "Shakespeare project" in freshman English.  Other people did things on his sonnets or something.  I broke down and made a historically accurate Elizabethan dress.  It wasn't great but she was amazed I did it.  It is still in her stack of great projects to this day.  From then on I was making costumes for Halloween and our formals every year. 
By the time I got to college I knew I wanted to teach sewing or at least do sewing of some sort.  I really didn't like to design but actually assemble the designs from the sketches.  I did get my degree in Family and Consumer Economic, but after a knife was pulled on me by a student I decided teaching in public schools was NOT for me. 
Long story short I moved to where I live now got married to a wonderful guy who was BIG in theater.  4 months after moving into town some new friends offered to take us to a Scarby.  I knew I couldn't go with out garb.  One stash raid, and one week later I was in full garb of a merchant's wife. From then on I was hooked.
For 5 years I was doing minor commission work and making stuff for friends. But by a lucky happenstance my DH comes across that the National Drama School of NZ was still taking applications for its first year of costume construction students.  6 months and lots of blood and sweat later I was in the school going to my first class.
At the school I discovered I was a great sewer, but not a professional seamstress.  I was in a class with 5 other people who could sew as well as I could but lacked the skills of what made a true seamstress.  I learned more in 6 months there than I had ever learned in the past  ::cough cough:: years.  I returned to the states a professional seamstress.  With in 4 weeks of being back in town I was hired to costume my first show.  12 shows later I am still sewing not just for theater but also for the fun of it.  I now can just be showing a picture and I can make it in almost any size.  I can safely say. "I do NOT know everything."  I made a promise to an old tutor that I would never stop challenging myself or trying to learn new things. 
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

irish

I hated 'home-ec' in school...so I never learned to sew with a machine. Oh they tried to show me, lmao!  ::)  I still don't use a machine...lol!  ;D  
I just started to sew a few years back, when I began to make my 'garb', and a few others for faire. Maybe 17 years ago?
I sew everything by hand. Takes me a little longer, but I like to make sure I have everything the way I want it!
Gives me great satisfaction!  :)
I do sew pillows, Angel Dolls and other things...by hand, of course!  : :D
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Master James

Well my mother didn't sew so I had to learn on my own in order to do simple things like repairs and sewing on stuff for my Civil Air Patrol uniforms.  I first sewed on a treadle Singer and then moved on to an electric one when my mother found one.  And no I'm not THAT old!  I started to learn in 1972.  I never really made anything significant, just simple things until about 3 years ago when my wife, out of self preservation, said that if I wanted new garb every year I needed to help.  So I purchased my own machine and started to learn to sew.  So far I make simple hats and breeches.  I've also made quite a few fabric heraldic shield banners for my M'Crack cousins.  I also do a lot of hand work like sewing on beads and such.  I never thought I'd like it but I love having something finished come out that I can wear or someone will look at and really like!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Cilean

I failed Home-Ec and burnt my fingers very badly while trying to iron down a seam.  My Teacher told me to purchase my clothes.  I have a very domineering mother who sews beautifully, but made sewing a huge chore.  I did not really begin to sew until I was 32 and married with limited funds and could not afford to purchase entire outfits like I did when I was single.  Plus the color combinations where not out there, so I picked up a used Bernina and began mangling fabric since then.

Since I worked in the Silicon Valley I was able to use my stock to purchase the Pfaff, then later on my Mother in Law purchased the Designer SE and I purchased my 3D which then was upgraded free to the 4D system.  I have been collecting machines and sergers and fabric for years, since I found out what sort of fabrics I should collect and trims and such.  I find it is easier to make something when you have the stuff waiting for you rather than trying to go out and find it when you need it.

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Jessi

I remember my mother giving me scraps, needle and thread when I was probably 8-9 to "make clothes" for my barbies. But all I really did with that was to cut squares of fabric and try to make them tie on or sew on snaps. I took home ec in high school for the purpose of learning to sew. Having no idea what I was doing, for my first project I picked out a skirt with a yoke front and lots of ruffles, and a high collar top with puffy sleeves that buttoned up the back. Once we got about halfway into it and I realized how complicated it was going to be I was very upset. To this day I do not have patience for the details. I want to cut it, stitch it up and be done!
Jessi

"Normal is not as common as you think."

Manwariel

I did a little bit of sewing (small things, like a needle book and a pin cushion) when I was a kid, and then didn't do much at all until December 2007, when I bought a machine; I wanted Ren. garb but couldn't afford to buy any, so I learned to make it.

isabelladangelo

I was 11 or 12 when I decided to try my hand at embroidery.  I did sew a stuffed doll as well but that was about it until I was ~18.  I then started on my first vintage look dress and haven't really stopped since.  :-)

Keno

I started sewing at a young age, no one to teach me so I found a book and went from there.  I been hand sewing cause I really don't know how to use the machine I was given..  If anyone in iowa that sews and can teach me I would love it.
This years travels 2013

Performing
Travelers Cross Faire in Strang, Oklahoma

Vending
Iowa Renaissance Festival in Amana Colonies, Iowa
Iowa-Minnesota Pirate Festival in Clear Lake, Iowa
Des Moines Renaissance Faire in Des Moines, iowa