News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fun Pirates

Started by RumbaRue, June 18, 2010, 12:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RumbaRue

Many of us on the West coast don't do the PC type pirate and prefer to dress our own distinct way. I understand the East coasters prefer PC. Some may call it fantasy pirates; in my case and my fellow members of Pirates of Treasure Cove, dress within the realms of pirates. But since we deal with children and getting them to read books, dressing more like the pirates out of books/TV/movies/or our imagination is better for the kids.

I'm curious to know what you all think about those who prefer PC over the more 'fun' pirate look. I don't like calling us fantasy pirates, as to me the word fantasy seems more like Disneyland. I like the word 'imagineers' for us.

So my question to all you you, do you prefer PC, or do you prefer the more imagined pirate.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Lady Kett

I prefer to be an imagineer (I like that term!), though I don't mind looking at the HA ones!

Lady Rebecca

I am a Disney pirate! So I guess that means I like the fantasy type? Though it seems to me like the typical Disney pirate is very PC, so that maybe the "imagineer" type you mention would be better off being called a more creative pirate?

Rowan MacD

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle.  I don't do foppish fantasy, and I won't wear skull and cross-bone print anything.
   However, I am not exactly HA either.  I don't wear torn/stained or smudged clothing, I don't used 'dirty face' makeup to simulate gunpowder soot, and I don't have a tan ^_^.
   My frock coat is sort of plain, it's broadcloth with a bit of naval type trim (one of my few homemade projects)  plain britches and flat soled boots (I wear high heels for NO ONE).  My shirt is also homemade from muslin and distressed with a tea based dye. I do wear a locklace bodice which just happens to match the coat and trim.  The effect is more a 1940's Errol Flynn sea movie, than a Disney pirate.  Except for the bodice, my husband can and has worn the outfit himself.
  BTW, I was born and raised in San Diego ;) though I am in the Midwest now...
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

Here on the East coast, most pirate events/ faires are based on an actual historical event or person, and a goodly amount of the people connected with the event are involved with HA re-enactment.  So although we started out as 'fantasy' pirates, we were encouraged by management at several faires to up-grade our kits.  So over the years, the leather coats,  skull wear and other non HA bits have been replaced. 

But for paytrons, we see mostly the fantasy types.  Lets face it, that is more fun to wear.  HA pirate stuff is pretty bland and often mundanes don't even recognize a deck hand pirate as even being a pirate!
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

Molden

To overstate the obvious - PC ain't for me! Imagineer (I like the Disney tie-in!) I be!

Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

ladylissame

My group does a mix. We want to turn our crew into a charitable organization that visits kids in the hospitals, so we figure a mix is good.
Here is a picture of some of our group and some of our friends as well (the 2 to the far left)

Captain Jack Wolfe

I started out emphasising historical accuracy, then decided I'd much rather have fun instead.  People can readily tell I'm a pirate, so that's good enough for me.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Molden

Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on June 24, 2010, 10:53:47 PM
I started out emphasising historical accuracy, then decided I'd much rather have fun instead.  People can readily tell I'm a pirate, so that's good enough for me.

True Dat Mad Jack! Dinna thynk aboot it, til ye sed it...

Brought t' mynd when Lady Mikayla an I were leaving th' hotel fer a day at BARF. As we passed a family on our way t' th' car - I heard a wee one exclaim "MOMMA! He's a PIRATE!".

An I figures, hey if'n a wee one can figure it out....I'm there!  8)
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Delireus

I just wanted to say that I read every reply to this post with a pirate accent in my head. I really couldn't help it, I'm pretty sure I even threw in a few 'yars' in there from time to time. It was fun, yet totally involuntary.

Anyhoo, I prefer going for a 'fun' pirate look myself, but that's not to say that HA pirates aren't fun. I just personally think having a costumers license to jazzing up any time line is always a must. When I see a pirate, or any persona, going for more relaxed look in terms of HA, I think how fun and interesting, they really tired to make it their own. However, when I see someone who has gone full out for a HA look, I have so much respect for them. If you're that dedicated to your garb, again for any persona, to be that detailed, more power to ya, that's awesome. Each style has it's own strong points. But like I said, I myself am going for a more Disney pirate

</mental pirate voice>
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

renren

Fun! :D

Cuz the nonhistorical pirate boots are the best! :)
Gotta remember to post a pic of my new boots!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Queen Bonnie

My Evil pirate twin sister is way out! Fantasy I guess.
  Fun matters!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Kate

Quote from: Molden on June 25, 2010, 12:18:54 PM
Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on June 24, 2010, 10:53:47 PM

True Dat Mad Jack! Dinna thynk aboot it, til ye sed it...

Brought t' mynd when Lady Mikayla an I were leaving th' hotel fer a day at BARF. As we passed a family on our way t' th' car - I heard a wee one exclaim "MOMMA! He's a PIRATE!".

An I figures, hey if'n a wee one can figure it out....I'm there!  8)

I agree with these two (two of my FAVORITE pirates!).  I like to have fun... and dress from head to toe in bright, fuschia, hot pink!
Kate
Pink'n Penny

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Kate on July 12, 2010, 09:20:28 AM
I agree with these two (two of my FAVORITE pirates!).  I like to have fun... and dress from head to toe in bright, fuschia, hot pink!
*SHRIEK!*  The dread Pink Pirate!!
http://www.zazzle.com/pink_pirate_flag_poster-228708856512555526  You gotta have one of these!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Seaman Blurt

Here is a pic of my crew at Pirate Days of Texas 2010... i Have the tuquois beard. lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us