News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Halloween themed garb

Started by Ginette, May 26, 2010, 11:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginette

I really want to make and put together some Halloween themed garb.  Other than skirts and a chemise(s) I'm a little stuck on what else I can do.  I figure the accessories will help tie everything together but what accessories?  Do you have a shop or web site you like of Halloween themed stuff?  I guess I'm asking for help with my garb idea with thoughts, pictures or even sketches that tickle your fancy.  Thank you for all your help! 
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Bonny Pearl

you could always dress like the girl that was accused of being a witch in the monty python, holy grail movie lol!  i think she had a crooked carrot for a nose lol!

if i come across anything i will let ya know.  i made a witches hat that i wore one year.  i'll dig up a pic and show ya.  i used a basic, cheapo hat, covered it in black velvet, circled the brim with part of a black boa and put stars, moons and such on the pointed section.  if ya go that route and like the hat you are more than welcome to borrow it!

i will be steampunking it this year. :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

gem

Well, tell us what kind of garb you like, because that will help guide the suggestions.  Do you want a wenchy ensemble (I just typed "witchy!")? You could make a bodice from a Hallowe'en print, and pull out colors for the skirt/chemise.  Or you could do a full-on creepy noble ensemble, which would be really cool, in Hallowe'en colors. A few years ago, we had a post here about an Elizabethan court gown made with spiderweb fabric--and it was *awesome.*  

More about this gown here.

ETA: Here's a three-page thread on Hallowe'en & garb, but it's mostly about wearing garb on Hallowe'en, not vice versa:
http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=4356.0

Sigh. This is *seriously* making me want to put together some sort of ensemble, especially since we're having a Hallowe'en themed weekend at KCRF this year...

Elennare

Well, it may not be faire, exactly, but I find those temporary Halloween stores that always pop up around Halloween time have all SORTS of fun accessories and stuff.  If nothing else, if you like Halloween, they're always fun to broswe in.
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Ginette

Quote from: Elennare on May 27, 2010, 10:40:38 AM
Well, it may not be faire, exactly, but I find those temporary Halloween stores that always pop up around Halloween time have all SORTS of fun accessories and stuff.  If nothing else, if you like Halloween, they're always fun to broswe in.

Guess I'll never know what I might find if I don't look!  ;D
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Dinobabe

The pop-up stores rock!  We do a HUGE yard display for Halloween every year.  Though a lot of it you can make or find cheaper at the dollar store, like the netting.  Pop-ups often charge $5, Dollar store: well, a dollar! ::)  Same brand even.

I like zombie rennies, myself. ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Bonny Pearl

so i found that pic of the hat i made. :)  it was fairly simple to do.  the shiny bits on the top portion of the hat are rhinestone moons, stars, etc.

i believe this was taken by The Stalkwells

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Elennare

OOOooo!  That is an awesome hat! :)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Bonny Pearl

thank you!  it was really pretty simple to make.  :)

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

flidais

Last year I did a sort of Volturi thing.  Italian ren vampire.  You could put together any kind of italain ren garb and add fangs...

The witchy wench look is always cool.  You don't have to use dark colors in my opinion.  Harvest colors are good too.  But just do the wench thing...add a hat and broom...a basket of apples maybe.  Just play with it. 

I have seen pics of people who have done the ren zombie thing and I love it!!!  Again it would be your normal garb (I've even seen some pretty cool nobles done this way) then do your face up all pale with sunken eyes and some blood running from the corners of your eyes.  Maybe have your hair all messy, and some of your garb not on exactly right.

You could get kinda dark with gypsy garb too.  Sorta a creepy fortune teller type.

I think when it comes to doing something halloween-y at faire...it's just great to take your normal garb, or normal garb in general and add something that's just a little different.  Like when I did do the ren vampire thing...I looked normal except for the paleness and when I opened my mouth slightly you could catch a glimpse of the fangs.  We were at ORF the last weekend there and a little girl yelled....mom a vampire!  Then I got a good buzz and started bitting everyone...it wasn't so subtle then.  har har

Happy Halloweening!!!

Queen Bonnie

Orange and black garb- add bats and spiders! Huzzah!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!