News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Thoughts on Atria's Fashions Ghawazee coat pattern?

Started by Adriana Rose, June 22, 2010, 10:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriana Rose

I have had this pattern forever and my Mum pulled it out and said that she wants one. I have looked over the directions and they seem pretty straight forward and fairly easy.

So has anyone else made this? Any tips on making the process easier? Or weird quirks the pattern has?

Lady L

I have that pattern, but I haven't made it yet.
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Aunty Lou

Let's see... Two for me, both the long coat with elbow-length sleeves w/tabs, different sizes (Blast that middle-age spread!)... V-necks, check...  Sweethearts neck, check... change buttons to lacing rings, check... two for wedding party in embroidered linen gauze and teeniny buttons for closures, check...  Wildly different bodies, check...  What do you want to know?
My suggestion is measurements galore, cheap fabric mock up, and mark that up, then take it apart to pin and cut fashion fabric.  The coat is cool, (No underarm seam, very breathable) variable, and the pattern is logical in it's construction, and modern in it's fit.  Worn with harem pants, and maybe a gauzy shift under it add a waist scarf, and you've got an exotic, fairly H/A look...

Bonny Pearl

i would love to attempt a ghawazee coat!  i *need* one for my outfit.  :D as a beginning sewer i will keep an eye on this thread for info!
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Adriana Rose

Just got the sewing done! I just need mum to get home to get the hem and the other nitpicky stuff done! It has been by far one of the easiest patterns I have ever used!

She did not want sleeves so that made it pain free ( sleeves dont like me)

Lady L

Adriana Rose

Its super easy!! Sorry I am just in love with how easy this pattern is lol.

Mom loves them she says that they are very comfy! The only thing is if you want to wear a chemise with it the arm holes need to be let out a tad

Lady L

I changed the armholes, too. Sewed up a mock up today.

Lady L

I hope you post some pics, Adriana Rose. :)
Silverastah, yours looks great!

I needed to tweak the mock up a bit, took in the back seam at the neck, changed the angle of the shoulder seam, took in the side of the front neck a little, let out the side seams about half an inch. I didnt' like all the gathering in the sleeve cap, so I took that in, too.  I am making the size small adult, for a 9 year old. I can't believe that an adult would be smaller than an average 9 year old child? How can that be? I knew I would have to shorten it about 6 inches at the hem.

Jessi

Lady L, my 9 yo is about the same size. So maybe it is not that odd. She is a little bigger than most kids in her class though.
Jessi

"Normal is not as common as you think."

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: Lady L on July 01, 2010, 11:32:29 PM
I changed the armholes, too. Sewed up a mock up today.

Lady L, what type of fabric are you using for your mock up?  I'm new to sewing and don't want to use something overly expensive for my mock up.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Lady L

Bonny Pearl, I used some cheap cotton/poly  fabric my Mom had given me. She said she didn't need it, as she does quilting and prefers 100% cotton. Someone probably gave it to her, I am not sure.

I have some beautiful blue/turquoise sari fabric left from a skirt I made for myself, that I am going to make the coat out of.

Lady L

Bonnie Pearl, I forgot to say that I usually use unbleached muslin. It's about the cheapest fabric you can buy for mockups. However, if you have some old partially worn bedsheets, that works too. Also, I only needed to fit the top of the coat, as it flares out past the waist/hips, so I just cut the mock up that much shorter.

Jessi, good to know about your 9 year old, too. My granddaughter is tall for her age, but it wasn't the length that was the problem, it was the width. A *small adult* must be very tiny? When I was in highschool, I was quite petite, but even then, I wouldn't have fit into the small size of this pattern.

Bonny Pearl

Thanks Lady L!  I believe I have some old sheets that I can use.

Oh one other thing.  I am thinking of making the sleeves detachable.  Does anyone have any ideas on where to find some decent grommets/eyelets?  I'd like to see if I can get something a little decorative but everything I've seen that is decorative is not really in sync with a coat like this.... I don't think Christmas tree shaped grommets would work lol!
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Jessi

Lady L you can see her in this picture. For reference I am 5'7" and my bf is 6'. My daughter has a 30" waist. I have bought her clothes from the womens dept before. It depends on the fit.
Jessi

"Normal is not as common as you think."

Lady L

Thank you for posting your family pic, Jessi.  :)
Your daughter looks like an average girl, I think, hard to imagine an adult that small! ???
There are numerous pics of the garb I have sewed for my granddaughters on here, somewhere.

Today, I sewed the facing over the neck edge and corded loops for buttons. I hand sewed the facing on the inside  down, because the fabric is soooo slippery and ironing it didn't make it stay down.

Lady L

Here's my finished Atira's Ghawazee coat pattern. I used brocade for the coat, blue chiffon for the veil, gold and black woven for the pants and sequin fabric for the top on one side, black panne on the other side. I took apart an old belt and sewed the coins onto the top.

It wasn't a difficult pattern, but the fabric was not easy to work with.

Kate XXXXXX

Bonny Pearl

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Lady L

Anna Iram

Thanks for pointing me to the thread Dinobabe :)

I really like the many layers. Came out really well.

ArielCallista

I really like this style of garb and really want one of these but have never seen the pattern before...where could I get a copy of the pattern?
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Lady L

Thank you!  ;D

I will look up where I ordered the pattern from.

Might help your search if you enter "Atira's" not Atria's.  ;)

Ok, back. I found three sites that sell this pattern. I might have ordered it from Alter Years, or Scheherezade, not sure.

http://scheherezadeimports.com/items/atira~39-s-fashions~35-/list2.htm

http://www.artemisimports.com/

http://www.alteryears.com/  under ethnic patterns

ArielCallista

I looooove the fabric you used...where did you get it?
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Lady L

The blue and gold is sari brocade, from Joann Fabric, so is the blue chiffon. :)