News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

'Birth' of a new Pirate....sort of

Started by maelstrom0370, June 02, 2008, 08:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maelstrom0370

Ok...so as much as I've tried to fight it, I find myself leaning more and more towards a pirate persona (and a kilted one at that!).  I know I should post in the Character Creation thred, but my question is fairly specific and so I figured I'd pose it directly to the Seadogs themselves, so here goes.  What are the cliches of being a pirate I should avoid??  Aside from the very fact of BEING a pirate  ;) and of course Capt Jack Sparrow has been done and done again and oh yea! Done some more!! Besides, I don't think I could be THAT effeminate, even in a skirt!  ;)
So...those things aside, what should a shiny new Scurvy Dog avoid or stay away from when putting himself together?  With my personality, he'll be more on the funny side (More PotC (think anyone BUT Capt Jack...can you put a parentheses in a parentheses?) and less The Island)...a bit 'overcompensating' (insert manhood, or lack thereof, jokes here) with pistols and blades literally dripping from his person. Ok, ok...I've rambled enough.  So, any help would be greatly appreciated!!   :D

renren

Okay... here's my opinion. I'm not exactly a veteran pirate...
IMHO ,everyone wants to be the Capt...Try something else, you'll still have as much, maybe more fun.

I don't know about your faire,but the ones I go to don't even allow fake guns..

From what I understand, they prefered a shorter edged weapon,not much room on a ship  to draw a longsword or claymore(sp?)..

Hope that helps! The most important thing is to have fun!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Taffy Saltwater

Start with a hat - for some reason hats lay their own personality on their wearers.  It will also help define your position on board.  Justaucorps coats are beautiful - and draw girls like flies - but sailors wore short jackets and pants while working in order not to get tangled in the rigging.  If you're wanting to be more captain-y, look to Barbossa's slashed coat & petticoat britches & - I could be wrong here - I believe he was from the North Country, your part of the world.  Let me recommend http://www.bilgemunky.com for & reviews on everything from clothes to movies to rum & music broadcasts for your iPod - Bilgemunky After Dark, in particular - to start building a musical vocabulary.  Speaking of vocabulary, find the Talk Like A Pirate site for great hints.

Welcome aboard, mate!
Sveethot!

Arsinoe Selene

I'd say do what you want. Simply being in a kilt (which is hot, really, any guy that is willing to go out in public in a "skirt" is clearly comfortable with himself, gay, straight, whatever) will set you apart.

When I think of a pirate in a kilt (now that you mentioned it), I think of a guy that is a bit, or more than a bit, off his rocker. Kind of wild. Take normal pirate crazy, and turn the dial up a bit.

Take it, leave it, whatever. I don't mind if you totally ignore it, I've done character development (for stories) before.

Oh, and if you want (parenthesies inside [parenthesies], just use a bracket). Avoids confusion.

DeadBishop

Kilted pirate?  Never heard of such a thing.....  ;);D

Honestly, just have fun with whatever you decide!

R/F.com member since 2003

dragongirl

Well Sir, my pirate persona is also rather new.  So new infact that I do not even have a picture of it!  lol  However, I decided to go against the grain so to speak and I am a spanish pirate, complete with accent and some spanish phrases(thank you daddy).  I also am the purser instead of Quartermaster or Firstmate as I was raised by a wealthy sea merchant father.  This character history will explain the fact I am more than a bit snobby and have better hygine and tend to dress in merchant class cloths.  I do have 2 pair of pants for working the deck but I prefer my dresses and skirts. 
My advice to go with what you feel comfortable and play to your strengths.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Deadbishop on June 03, 2008, 12:31:06 AM
Kilted pirate?  Never heard of such a thing.....  ;);D

I'm sure they guy who did it before you said the same thing, DB  ;)

Besides, I already had the kilt so I couldn't let it go to waste!

Captain Jack Wolfe

If you're going to be a kilted pirate, PLEASE don't take work as a rigger!  Some of us like to look up occasionally.   :o
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Scotsman

Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on June 03, 2008, 09:46:17 AM
If you're going to be a kilted pirate, PLEASE don't take work as a rigger!  Some of us like to look up occasionally.   :o

Profound words of wisdom from a man who would know! ROFL!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

maelstrom0370

BAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA!!  Thanks for the advice, I'll DEFINITELY keep it in mind!!

renren

Or at least wear your spiderman undies!
:D
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

maelstrom0370

Quote from: renren on June 03, 2008, 10:42:29 AM
Or at least wear your spiderman undies!
:D

Arrrrgh!! Eye bleach!! EYE BLEACH!!!!

Rage

Uhg.... I won't be looking up with that image in my head.

There are plenty of Kilted pirates and in the old forum a question was asked if there was any historical accounts of kilted pirates. We found plenty.

In the distant past I tried a kilt and did not find it comfortable. I like pants so I won't be sporting a kilt. Basically pirates have been around sense 300 ad (first written account, as far as I know) and they come from all walks of life. Do what feels comfortable to you.

You don't pick the pirate, the pirate picks you and then you pick up some Pyrat XO.......

Rage

Jack,

First you my friend are a Pirate among pretenders....

Red Legs is the only "named" pirate I found info on. There was info talking about other Scottish and Irish pirates who wear kilts (some being from Red legs crew members). I have a couple books at home I will try to get you the names (Oops almost all my books are packed away fro when I sell the house) and see if I can find the websites again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Legs_Greaves

"His nickname was based on a commonly used term for reddened legs often seen among the Scottish and Irish who took to wearing kilts in almost any kind of weather." - mostly references like this from the link above. I believe that I was searching for info specifically on Scottish and Irish pirates.

The company I work for has a plant in Ireland and one of our Irish co-workers sent me a book on Irish pirates. Thats the one I am trying to find.

Captain Jack Wolfe

That would be great, Rage!  Thanks!

I know there was a bit of confusion surrounding this matter with the clan Barra MacNeils who'd set up a virtual empire near what is now Panama back in the late 1600's.  Historians made the assumption that since they were Scottish and had not expatriated to other colonies before establishing their settlement, they must have worn kilts.  It's since been found that they wore slops and petticoat breeches like any other tar.  One of my pet peeves is when "learned historians" make the rare common and the common rare to suit their pet theories.

If you really want to hear me rant, bring up Egyptology.  ;D

While it wouldn't surprise me that Scottish and Irish buccaneers wore real kilts (not the "small kilts", or philabegs, we know  today as they'd not yet been developed) on land campaigns, I have trouble believing that they wore them day to day aboard ship.  That's a lot of fabric to get tangled in the rigging, much less haul about in the rain or heavy seas.

Sorry about hijacking your thread, maelstrom!  :-[
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus