News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

'Birth' of a new Pirate....sort of

Started by maelstrom0370, June 02, 2008, 08:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeadBishop

R/F.com member since 2003

Rage

Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on June 04, 2008, 08:48:39 AM

While it wouldn't surprise me that Scottish and Irish buccaneers wore real kilts (not the "small kilts", or philabegs, we know  today as they'd not yet been developed) on land campaigns, I have trouble believing that they wore them day to day aboard ship.  That's a lot of fabric to get tangled in the rigging, much less haul about in the rain or heavy seas.

Sorry about hijacking your thread!  :-[

I am with you on that. As for the rant I love a good rant. Get me going on the "All Celts wore kilts" Part of my family can be traced back to the Boii who did not wear kelts......

yep sorry about the hijacking although its not really a hijack its adding info on the history of pirates and kilts.

maelstrom0370

Rage and Mad Jack....

By all means... Hijack away!!!  This is some interesting stuff.  I've always assumed that pirates, in one form or another, have been around as long as there's been ships.  Plus, finding out the mainstream (Celts and kilts) isn't always right.  Plus, it's not really hijacking when you willingly turn it over!  ;)

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Mad Jack Wolfe on June 04, 2008, 12:42:00 PM
Quote from: maelstrom0370 on June 04, 2008, 11:30:23 AM
... it's not really hijacking when you willingly turn it over!  ;)

I've been told that before, and yet she still pressed charges.   ;) :D

Easy killer! It's just the thread I'm turning over!  ;) :D ;D

Cloverpogue

Quote from: Deadbishop on June 04, 2008, 09:01:18 AM
;D ;D ;D

allright, I'm thieving this sign; in true pirate fashion, of course ;D

Playing cabin boy can always be fun.
I played cabin boy once. They would call out, 'oh, cabin boy..' and I'd appear, the look on their faces was priceless, especially when they expected a boy and not me. hah
Just have fun with whatever you choose to do. Pirates are always great fun. and unfortunately lead to tattooing...
~The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves~ Keeper of the Pirate Joe Bear, Capn'Car'nage, Mistress of Mischief~

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Cloverpogue on June 04, 2008, 01:46:19 PM
and unfortunately lead to tattooing...

Got that part covered at least!

renren

I've never been one for rules,or sticking staunchly to them!
That's why I likes the pirate thing, esp. for a women in that time period!  ;D

Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Arsinoe Selene

Quote from: renren on June 04, 2008, 01:53:40 PM
I've never been one for rules,or sticking staunchly to them!
That's why I likes the pirate thing, esp. for a women in that time period!  ;D

My friend ans I are going to be feminist pirate co-captains, rebeling against the domination by males. ;D Just because we can.

As for the tattoos, I have been planning on getting one for a while now, even before turning pirate. I just turned old enough to get one without parent involvement last year, though. I'll probably get it as a graduation present to myself when I get my AA.