News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Need some advice

Started by mehan, July 03, 2010, 06:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mehan

I've struggled with the decision to put this question out - but I really do want some advice and it is faire related.

I have two granuloma annulare scars on the top of my right hand.  This is a skin condition that is non-contagious, non-bacterial, non-fungal - they truly just look like large round scars.   My problem is, at faire its not uncommon when I am introduced to a gentleman for the first time that he take my hand in a chivalrous manner.  If I proffer the hand, there is that widening of the eyes and I feel the need to rush to say "its not contagious" or, if I refuse the hand... well either way its awkward.  Added to this, I cannot offer my left hand. 

I don't care about dropping character, and I am not embarrassed to explain - but a casual meeting doesn't seem to warrant a long explanation.  I would just like something I could do to acknowlege the introduction and keep my hands out of the situation.  In the mundane world, I just shake hands, going in palm up and no one notices. 

BubbleWright

I don't know how historically accurate they might be, but would wearing a pair of lace or silk gloves solve the problem? Just a thought...
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

ladybootlegger

At the Colorado festival there is a shop that sells some decorative glove like things that only cover the back of the hand. They are crochet with a rather open weave, beads at the "intersections" and it ties around the wrist with ribbon. They are pretty, and ... depending on the size/severity of your scars it might cover it. Other than that, I like the idea of lace gloves.
I'm the one going to Hell, you were only watching.
~Billy Connolly

Lady Renee Buchanan

If a gentleman makes a move to take your hand, put out your left hand.  No explanations needed.  He is chivalrous, after all!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

mehan

Cool - I have seen the chain mail version - but a crochet type thing would be WONDERFUL! Does it "connect" by just one finger?  Can you find out the name of the vendor for me some weekend and I will explore online ordering.

I should have explained that I can't wear a glove on the other hand unless it is fingerless - would fingerless lace gloves look too strange?  I guess I could wear just one al la '80 MJ   :D

Sitara

There are tons of fingerless lace gloves online and they are perfectly lovely.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Marietta Graziella

Not to cast aspersion on the late great King of Pop's fashion sense... however, you make a valid point...  Why couldn't a lovely fingerless lace glove be one of your signature pieces?  Buy the first one to see how it's made and replicate in colors to match your garb.  Switch up the styles and design.  As long as you have no contractural need to be HA, do whatever you like! 

I'd go with something that slips over your middle finger (elastic band or something), covers the back of your hand, and ties (or more elastic) at the wrist.  No need for even a complete glove.  This way your palm stays open and cool, your finger use is unimpeded, you feel confident in offering your hand to the gentleman.  Now can then enjoy the attentions and sensations of the delightful kiss without the awkwardness of an explanation (that is really none of their business anyway unless you choose to explain).  I call that a win!
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

VIII

Proffer your right hand and cover the back, in an off-hand manner (pun-intended), with the fingers of your left.

Alternately, just offer your left.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

DonaCatalina

You could offer your left hand. People being creatures of habit as they are, maybe the lace glove would make you more comfortable in case you forget and offer your right.

The fingerless lace gloves are of Victorian origin, but most people wouldn't even notice that.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

robert of armstrong

Potomic Leather sells leather cuffs that cover the wrist and the back of the hand, with a loop over the middle finger that would fit the bill. They are called Guinevere's Cuffs, and are available in several different colours of leather.  Potomic has booths at Sterling (NY) and MdRF for sure, not sure where else.  Their stuff is incredible, mostly soft, supple deerskin.

http://www.potomacleather.com/PL_Cuffs.htm
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

mehan

Thanks everyone!  I knew you could help me out.  I am going with lace gloves this weekend, and then with a crochet version of of a middle eastern "handflower" as Ladybootlegger and MG described - which has a double benefit.  Me sainted mum is always trying to find something she can make for me to wear at faire.  At 82 her health and eyesight have deteriorated to the point that crocheting and knitting are the only things she can do anymore.  She was thrilled when I called last night and asked for her help.....

You guys are the greatest. 

ladybootlegger

The vendor I was speaking of is McNabb - The Queen of Hooks. The "gloves" can either be purchased to wrap around each finger, or I believe she can/does make them to simply wrap around just one finger. It has been quite some time since I have been in her shop to be honest.

Here is a picture of one that I got... oh goodness... a very long time ago:

Obviously, it should be tied tighter around my wrist, but that is hard to do with one hand.  ;)

If you are interested I would be happy to assist you in purchasing one of your own. Message me to work out the logistics.
I'm the one going to Hell, you were only watching.
~Billy Connolly

Adriana Rose

Hot Topic has lotsa fingerless glove thingies