News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A New Look Every Weekend?

Started by Rosamundi, June 28, 2010, 10:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosamundi

Good gentles! When you go a-faireing on multiple weekends, do you change your garb each weekend? And, if so, what do you tweak?

As a relative beginner, so far I've been able to get away with one black open-front dress and one cream chemise, plus swappable colored underskirts and accessories (straw hat, muffin hat, shawl, etc.) for different looks. What do you do?
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

LadyFae

Last year I was pregnant so my options were slightly limited BUT I did manage a slightly different look each time.  I made myself a Noble gown in more of an Italian Renaissance style- the first time I wore it with an off white chemise under it and detatchable green sleeves, the next time I went without the chemise and had pink sleeves (they matched my undergown,) then I did the pink sleeves with the detachable green sleeves.  When it became too hot for me to be a noble I went as a fairy.  I wore the same purple dress each time but some times I had an overdress and some times not.  I also switched my wings every time and wore my hair differently, as well as wore different jewelry.  So really all season I wore two different dresses and many different accessories.  =)  This season I plan to have different underskirts for my new noble gown and I also have a couple of fairy dresses that I can wear.  I may even go as a wench once or twice!  No promises, though! 
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Finnian

For me my garb depends on the weather, because if it is stormy I can't risk wrecking my main faun garb in the downpour. I have done the different outfit each weekend before, doing a celtic outfit one weeked, doing my faun, and doing another fae character. This up coming season (spring 2011) I am hoping to have some more complete/coherent outfits ready, so that I don't have to use pieces for everything. :)

gem

KCRF is 7 weekends, two of them 3-days, so I think that's 16 days, plus sometimes we'll go in the morning and come back in the evening... and all that said, YES, Milord and I DO try to wear as many different ensembles as possible.

...But we've been doing this for years and years, so we have a *lot* of pieces to mix and match. Milord just reorganized the garb closet last week, and I think I saw 5 shirts in some shade of white (I only remembered three)! The more garb you collect, the more possibilities you'll see, and the different outfits you'll be able to make.

One of the most versatile pieces you can invest in (as a woman) is a reversible bodice. I currently have one, and it's been everything from pirate to wench to faux middle-class. I make my skirts extra-long, so I have the option of wearing them with a hoop or not. Another useful thing to have on hand is an assortment of chemises: a couple of different white ones (white for anything you want to look H/A or upperclass of any sort) plus some in colors (for the fantasy/wench look), and you'll be able to completely change up your look. This picture is a good example of "frankengarb--" lots of unrelated pieces I threw together: the bodice and green overskirt from this look, plus the red skirt you saw earlier, and a green silk shirt I'm still not entirely sure why I bought--but which I am determined to find occasions to wear. LOL  (And if that hat looks familiar, it's because Milord was wearing it in another picture!)

I haven't yet done a noble's ensemble, but you've had ideas for how to change that up: different sets of sleeves and foreparts and the like.

groomporter

I usually wear something a little different every weekend, between my different doublets, breeches, kilts or tartan trews. Of course we can start first weekend MNRF at 99 degrees with 90% humidity and end last weekend with snow flurries so some flexibility can be vital.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

As performers, we try and keep our kit the same every weekend, with appropriate additions/subtractions for weather.  Patrons like it and can usualy pick a Brigand out of a crowd o' pirates.   Not fancy, mind ye, but ship worthy, an ready to climb the riggin'  for all o' that. 
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

RumbaRue

Being a costumer, my costume closet is full of things, so I can change my look every weekend/day.

I can do Celtic, bellydancer, Noble, low pirate, high pirate, middle class, peasant and on and on.
Note* I've retired from making costumes, my eyes aren't what they use to be, and I really don't want to put the time in anymore.
It's actually cheaper to buy ready-made stuff now at an event then trying to buy materials that add up to the same if not higher cost of something already done.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Marietta Graziella

I love having different outfits for every weekend!  It's like an addiction.   :D
Some things flow over like chemise or under skirts but mostly I make completely different garb complete with matching hat, pouch, and drinking vessel. 
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Delireus

I'm just starting to get my garb the way I want it and I usually have 1 piece in mind to buy at the faire when I go, like a new hat or pouch. Even though I don't change anything except add something small, I feel like it's a whole new set of garb, but that's probably because I'm so excited about whatever I just bought, hah

But if I could, I'd have a completely different set of garb for every weekend! Fairy, high pirate, noble, I'd change it up every week if I had the funds and could actually go to the faire more than 3 times a year. But like I said, just adding a little something extra can change the whole look of your garb set, but if you can do it, I'd really suggest changing it up every weekend :)
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Rosamundi on June 28, 2010, 10:01:23 AM
Good gentles! When you go a-faireing on multiple weekends, do you change your garb each weekend? And, if so, what do you tweak?
I love my ring belt, but sometimes switch it out for a sash. I layer skirts and/ or hike them (it's been pretty hot) to show off the latest stocking purchase or bloomer adventure.  You can never go wrong with a new hat either; straw, floppy, caul or stolen from my husbands' stash of tams.
 Skirts or trews, it's all good!  Have fun  ;D
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Rowan MacD

Quote from: gem on June 28, 2010, 11:22:19 AM
I haven't yet done a noble's ensemble, but you've had ideas for how to change that up: different sets of sleeves and foreparts and the like.
I hope to eventually be able to commission a noble ensemble (I want to do it right, so I'm saving my ducats) I plan to order mine with a couple of different sleeves and foreparts, and of course, plain and fancy partlets and possibly ruffs, which can be worn or left off to change the neck line of the bodice. 
  I have a hat fetish (my husbands' words) so of course I will have to have those ^_^
  I can't wait!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Aiacha

I have enough to wear something different, however I do have my favorites and they get heavy rotation.  Sometimes it's the same bodice and skirt, but what is underneath changes with the weather.

Lady Kett

This is the first year we've dressed in garb. It took us most of the past year to carefully piece two outfits together. However, I have to say, that after that first labor of love, I've found it much easier to swap out a bit here and there and I probably have closer to 5 or 6 different looks I can pull together. Plus a pirate. Everyone needs a pirate! It helps that I'm able to use a lot of different shades of my favorite color - blue! - and I indulge in my favorite weakness, hats.

So to answer your question, when I started Scarborough this season, I had 2 outfits. With some judicious purchasing I know have at least 5 or 6 variations. It definitely gets much easier as you go! Some good fundamental pieces such has chemises or bodices make swapping out skirts and hats for a new look much easier.

Tink

I love the idea of wearing different garb for each weekend, but I tend to stick to my favorites, depending on the weather.  There are so many things I want to make, though, so eventually I'll be able to rotate.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Rosamundi

Good thoughts from everyone, and my thanks! Gem, I loved your thoughtful photo links - they really give me some ideas on how to switch things up!
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.