News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

help for "old eyes"

Started by mehan, June 29, 2010, 04:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mehan

I have reached the age that I need reading glasses to enjoy browsing at shops, looking at favors or writing in my faire journal - but don't/can't tolerate glasses for wandering around and watching shows.  We came up with the idea of putting a pair of cheap reading glasses without the arms behind a mask which would have both a string for hanging on my belt and a short stick for holding when I was actually looking at something. 

However, I purchased a cheap mask this weekend and since is it molded (for the nose and eyebrows) I don't think I can get the glasses to stay on as there are not enough level contact points; (did

There is a feather vendor (CRF, MNRF) who has done this with sunglasses - though hers kept the arms on.  I just want something to use occasionally during the day - and that is attached to my belt so I am not constantly losing them.

I am not sure if I am looking for suggestion on how to accomplish this myself - or thoughts on a vendor who might do it for me. 

NoBill Lurker

So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Marietta Graziella

what about making your own mask out of fabric stiffener, duck cloth, inter-lining...   Use the molded mask to get an approximate shape with your fabric but adjust to be able to attach the glasses.  I'd sew them in with upholstery thread or something.  Getting knocked about on your belt might loosen any type of glue product.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Rosamundi

It's not period, but I wonder if one could re-work an inexpensive pair of reading glasses into a lorngette . . . a little gold braid here . . . a little hot glue there . . . :-)
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

mehan

See, I knew you guys would have the answer.  I am going to "steal" Rosamundi's idea.  If I hang it from the same area of my belt as my fan, for the most part, the fan will cover it when hanging - and I care not about HA when I am actually using them..... Perfect, Thanks!!!

gem

I'm with Rosamundi: instead of trying to adapt the mask to fit the glasses, embellish the glasses to look like a mask.

Adriana Rose

Rosamundi

Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

mehan

Well, I will - but understand I am absolutely not artistic or crafty or actually I am crafty, but that's has more to do with Can't Remember a Freaking Thing  ::) I am hoping once CRF rolls around to have the Feather Lady make me one that will be something to be proud of.  The one I make will be all about just being able to see for the faires until then.....

dreamfarie

You may also try a magnifying glass pendant, my grandmother wore one as a necklace for years instead of buying reading glasses. They are easy to find online in varying degrees of fancy and price...

LordPaulet

Maybe some Pince-Nez worn around the neck.  They arent exactly H/A but there are portraits of similar type glasses that scissor in the middle to create a pince-nez effect made of wood.  SO you would be close enough with some pince-nez :D

LordPaulet

Francisco de Quevedo 1580-1645