News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Toddler Tip: Sling 'Em Up!

Started by Rosamundi, June 29, 2010, 09:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosamundi

Fellow faire parents:  wanted to report great success with a toddler sling at the last two weekend's faires. This was a solid-colored, heavy cotton, XL-size baby sling from the thrift store.

When my munchkin was happily walking, I put my purse and diaper pack into the sling, tied the bundle with a cord, and carried the whole mess over my shoulder as a pouch (pictured). When she needed a ride, I could "sling her" and carry the purse alone on my shoulder.

Looked pretty good and was very convenient, because our faire has a lot of hilly terrain and I didn't want to deal with a wagon.

Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

LadyFae

Just a basic ring sling?  I may still make one to coordinate with my gown.  My Moby wrap is so bulky and covers so much of the garb!
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Rosamundi

It was actually a one-piece sling without a ring. Would be easy-peasy to make!
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

LadyFae

How long and wide would you approximate?  I made myself two "moby" style wraps that I love but those are a lot of fabric.  Yours is obviously smaller!  =)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Rosamundi

I'll get the measurements up asap - have to run this morning but can measure for you in the afternoon!

LadyFae

Thank you, that would be fabulous!!!!  =)
Amanda  =D

Rosamundi

Lady Fae, sorry for the large picture but I wanted you to be able to see my scratchy notes! The original sling is by The New Native; you may be able to look it up online for more info. The finished dimensions on the sketch do *not* provide for seam allowances.

I suspect it would be constructed thusly, but all standard disclaimers apply. :-) 

(1) cut a rectangle of *sturdy heavy* cotton twill or demim 55" long by 24" wide; (2) fold the rectangle once, the long way (3) from the non-folded end, which will be the bottom, cut a shallow arc that is 6" deep at the middle, (4) hem the sides all 'round, but not the bottom arc, (5) sew the bottom arc with a flat fell or other very strong seam, (6) lay the rectangle flat with fold at the top and seam at the bottom, (7) fold in the sides until you have a pie shape, then (8) tack the top edges together on the inside at the top fold line.

Best of luck and let me know how it goes!

LadyFae

Thanks.  I researched it a bit last night and figured that this was the style you were talking about.  They seem easy enough to make.  I was also considering making a shorter "Moby" style that is just one stirp of fabric that I would wrap the middle under baby's butt and up her back, take the ends over my opposite shoulder, cross them and bring them back down and tie under baby's tush.  So the same idea of the ring sling without the ring and the extra support of the style you are talking about- just no sew!  =)
Amanda  =D

Rosamundi

As much as I like sewing, I am all over "no sew" when you can swing it! Or is that 'sling it'? Tee-hee. Best of luck - would love to see a pic of completed sling and garb together.

LadyFae

If I actually go through with this I certainly will post pics!  I'm so used to just carrying my pre-walkers at Faire that I go back and forth on whether or not I should bother with a new sling!  I may have some fabric around her somewhere that would work, however, so I may just try it out.  =)
Amanda  =D

Leyla

Just had to share this website here: wearyourbaby.com

Their site navigation is a little wonky, but they have a few patterns for various wraps/slings/pouches. They also have tons of different videos for just about every different possible way to wear baby. They also have a few baby wearing techniques under the "Pareos" style carier which use less fabric than the wraps.

I can't imagine the hassle of using a stroller at our faire LadyFae. I may end up changing my mind by next year, but with all the hills, gravel, woodchips, mud etc baby wearing just makes more sense.

LadyFae

Yeah, Leyla, I HATE trying to push a stroller at our Fest!  That would be why I've only done it twice out of pure desperation!  I would MUCH rather carry or wear my pre-walker than try to push a stroller!  Thanks for posting that site, I'm always up for more ways to wear Babygirl- though she'll be walking soon and won't want to be worn much more...  =(
Amanda  =D