News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Dry Faire!

Started by trevor ylisaari, June 30, 2010, 06:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trevor ylisaari

I know Capt Morgan mentioned this in the other thread, but thought I should start a new one, so all will be sure to see it.

That is right folks.
No pubs this season!

On top of that, it appears that opening is moved back an hour to 11 instead of 10.

Lord Magnus

So then They haven't updated their website? 
"What God abandoned, these defended,
  And saved the sum of things for pay".

Dragonlord

Am just curious but did the county rezone the land the faire sits on to make it dry?  The state controls the liquor licenses so as long as the faire still has a license to sell, the faire should be able to sell alcohol.  If the city council did rezone and make the area the faire sits on dry, the faire should try to get the issue on the ballot so the people can vote for it instead of the corrupt officials that are trying to harm the faire.

trevor ylisaari

At this point, this quote from another forum is the best info we have.

"From what I have heard, the trustees filed the injunction because they said the people who were supposed to get the money from the beer sales did not get the money from they were supposed to get. But I am not certain of this. I don't know if the injunction is considered a public file, but if it is, anyone should be able to view the documents concerning the action. "

DuCoeur

The Website is still saying they are serving...but GL has always been slow to update it...
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

HawkMom

The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill, but man's relationship with his hawk.      --- T.H. White

Professor M

Quote from: HawkMom on July 05, 2010, 12:57:43 PM
Here is a PDF link I just found:  http://www.trumbulltownship.org/Township_s_Second_Amended_Complaint.pdf

There are some interesting points in there.  One, that the township wants half the money to go to the VFD, but wants the other half to go to the township itself, and two, that they LOST THE ORIGINAL CONTRACT!  The claim states that they believe it was originally in writing, but they don't have it and take it to be a verbal contract until they find the original.  I would think they're going to have trouble enforcing that in court.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

trevor ylisaari

Another point that the suit doesn't mention.
The VFD that the faire had it's arrangement with was a non-profit corporation that was a seperate entity and not under the trustees jurisdiction.
They were contracted by the township for fire protection.
That is, until 2004 when the trustees did not renew their contract.
Which was followed by a lot of litigation both ways as the trustees proceded to seize all the VFD assets.

So, if there was a contract (which the trustess have yet to prove) then it wasn't with the township. So, how do they figure they are entitled to anything?

Scarlett

As I mentioned on Trevors board earlier, I think the timing of this grievance was strategically planned.   The trustees know they have no case, but are well aware that it will take time to move through the court system. I don't believe they have a desire to win this case - merely to cause financial damage to Larry/the faire.

Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

bosswench

I will not let these trustees ruin our good time.....LONG LIVE GLMF.

I can not wait to see everyone as they travel to GLMF and as I hopefully get to travel to a few this year.

Lets hold our heads up and do what we can.

Scarlett

All -the post below was made on Trevor's board earlier today by Oilve the Ox Lady and provides a few more details.

Greetings beloved Avalochians! Late to the conversation, but piping in nonethless is your humble servant Olive the Ox Lady.

Be not unduly troubled, lads and lassies. Bags will not be checked, coming straight to my ears from the lips of our benevolent landlord Larry. He and I are asking that we all keep our beverages discreet--that is in mugs or cups or flasks. Tailgating will likely increase dramatically this year and is fine with da man.

Trustees wanted too much from Larry this year for pub operations overseen by court, so Larry said, "No" to their demands, thus beer sales will not happen. Sadly, charities will not get the proceeds.

We will have wonderful days in Avaloch nonetheless. Do visit me and Pimento. We will have a lass named Brie with us this year, and sometimes Paul and Silas' nephew Dalton the baby bull calf or their niece Joannie the heiffer.

All the same fabulous foods you've come to relish and a grande garden in which to relax. Doggie rest area too.

Capt. Morgan

I did find a new song we could sing at the "Pub-less" Sing at end of day....

The Pub With No Beer

It's lonesome away from your kindred and all
By the campfire at night where the wild dingos call
But there's nothin' so lonesome, so dull or so drear
Than to stand in the bar of a pub with no beer

Now the publican's anxious for the quota to come
There's a faraway look on the face of the bum
The maid's gone all cranky and the cook's acting queer
What a terrible place is a pub with no beer

The stockman rides up with his dry, dusty throat
He breasts up to the bar, pulls a wad from his coat
But the smile on his face quickly turns to a sneer
When the barman says suddenly: "The pub's got no beer!"

There's a dog on the verandah, for his master he waits
But the boss is inside drinking wine with his mates
He hurries for cover and he cringes in fear
It's no place for a dog round a pub with no beer

Then in comes the swagman, all covered with flies
He throws down his roll, wipes the sweat from his eyes
But when he is told he says, "What's this I hear?
I've trudged fifty flamin' miles to a pub with no beer!"

Old Billy, the blacksmith, the first time in his life
Has gone home cold sober to his darling wife
He walks in the kitchen; she says: "You're early, me dear"
Then he breaks down and he tells her that the pub's got no beer

It's lonesome away from your kindred and all
By the campfire at night where the wild dingos call
But there's nothin' so lonesome, so dull or so drear
Than to stand in the bar of a pub with no beer
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

mumsies

PERFECT! Missed so many people on Saturday, making our way around just catching up with everyone. Sunday we didn't make it back, promised the kids the beach and some other side trips, and not enough hours in a day. Planning to be back next weekend, all weekend. Maybe I will manage to catch up with everyone then. It was good to be back! (changes and all).

Athena

I had a wonderful weekend, and the weather was perfect. I knew we'd still have fun!

My only worry is that the faire will get hit financially, but the camaraderie and magic will always be there. That will never change, and I can't wait to go back!
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Scarlett

Looks like they updated the website at last under the FAQ section.  Where it used to say the faire served beer, it now offers info on bringing in coolers:

Are coolers permitted in the fairgrounds?
All coolers must be kept in your car. However, you can leave and re-enter the Faire with a handstamp