News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

All's Faire

Started by The Lady Mercedes, July 04, 2010, 07:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Mercedes

Saw it this morning & I have to say, despite the assanine lines in the film, it's quite an accurate depiction of what faire looks and sounds like!  :)
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

renfairephotog

We saw Real Steel today. The theater had promo cards of the movie. snagged some card and forgot the movie was already out.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

BubbleWright

You have to be a bit crazy, when after work in the middle of the week, you drive 90 miles round trip to see a critically castigated romantic comedy movie just to soak up the Faire ambiance of the film because you are suffering from Post Fairematic Stress Syndrome. It was worth the trip. While the whole plot could just as easily taken place in a summer camp, placing it at a RenFaire made it pop. Owen Benjamin, the lead actor, just sleep walked through his role. Christina Ricci did well, as did a number of the supporting actors. Chris Wylde stole the show with his outrageously bad campy overacting (one really has to be very good to be that bad). But it was the Faire that was the real star of the show... not Hollywood's vision of a RenFaire but a real honest to goodness FAIRE. You could almost smell the food, the background activities were just right, and the costumes were proper garb. If you ignore the weak plot and concentrate on the atmosphere and ambiance of the Faire, you are in for a treat. I spoke with the manager of the cinema and he confirmed that this was a one week showing of the film. No advertising and bad reviews emptied the house... there were only 2 of us in the theater and it had been like that all week. I would bet it will be out on DVD by Christmas. I want one...  ;D
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Athena

I love All's Faire, I've got the episodes saved to my faves on YouTube.  8)

As for All's Faire in Love...is this thing even in theaters any more? I checked online and it's playing nowhere near me, not even within a 100 mile radius. It's looking like one of those (almost) straight to DVD type deals.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

BubbleWright

Athena- All's Faire in Love was in limited distribution in Regal Theaters only, for the week October 28th to November 3rd. It did not even play in Delaware, which is why I went to see it in Maryland. It did so dismally in the Theaters I hope that won't affect its release on DVD. I would like to see it a few more times to catch the back ground action.
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Ms Trish

If someone sees it hit the shelves, please post. I'd like to see it. I'm a sucker for 'romantic' movies.
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

BubbleWright

I have been checking Amazon to see if All's Faire in Love has been released. The DVD will be released on February 7, 2012 and will be available on Amazon.
   Antoine de St. Exupery