News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Accent help

Started by Dev, June 02, 2008, 11:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dev

"G'day m'lady!"
"Dude, hi!"

Yea.  I'm stuck with finding an accent to use when in character.  Apparently, a fantasy character is easy because they don't have to have a particular accent...but hard because there's nothing to use for reference.

What sources did you use to develop your accent?  Any advice?

CaraGreenleaf

Well, when I was learning, I actually found it most useful to completely surround myself with the accent I was aiming for.

A standard English accent is easiest to mimic, and the easiest to find. What I did was actually put on various movies that were either made in England, or were set in the Renaissance period and started apeing what the actors were saying; my favorite ones were Shakespeare in Love, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (everyone but Kevin Costner) and various Shakespearean plays that I could find on film. For my Scottish, I watched Braveheart on repeat. The only downside to this particular method is that you learn the movies word for word and people look at you funny when you stand in the middle of a parking lot after a long day at work, arms thrown to the Heavens, screaming "FREEDOM" at the top of your lungs. But I got the accent right!!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
Castleteer, IWG# 3606, MERC# 836, PRIV# 1311
Flog'n M'Crack, Chieftess of O'Cinneide

Corseter, Costumer and Crochete

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

CaraGreenleaf, that is a excellent idea! I was just wondering how i was going to learn this. thank you. :D
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Dev

Thanks for the idea.  I'm trying for a Scandinavian accent, but luckily I know plenty of bands to watch interviews of. 

captmarga

Check your local half-price books.  There is a CD set on doing accents, we happened across a copy last year that we used in training cast members for a newer faire.  It had a LOT of accents on it...

Capt. Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

McGuinness

Here's a few links that have helped me out in the past. There are some basic sound changes and examples that you can use to build on. I wouuld always take those basics and read anything I could out loud in the dialect - books I was reading, favorite poems and monologues, even the streetsigns on the way to work or wherever every day. Audiobooks are great to listen to as well - I have a few Shakespeare shows that I downloaded from audible.com that are really good.

http://jackytappet.tripod.com/barfdialect.html#dialects

http://www.renfaire.com/Language/index.html

http://mrffriends.tripod.com/language/

http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php

O'gee -Storyspinner,

The way I tell the fantasy characters who played in our children's realm, is to find the country where your from and like the others have said emerge your self with it. The one thing that a fantasy character can do is add different pitches to the words, to give them their own flare of speech. Kinda like a gypsy does instead of saying Hello they say yellow. just simple things like that. Also if you have jester when you make some words, this would also help with both speech and persona. Helps to make your character more real. We talk with our hands, so add them to characters speech pattern.
Listen to the whisper of the wind and it will tell you a story. Repeat that story and make the world smile and laugh.

O'gee -Storyspinner,

Listen to the whisper of the wind and it will tell you a story. Repeat that story and make the world smile and laugh.

Emerald Shaunassey

For Irish accents, listen to anything Liam Neeson, Pierce Brosnan, or Colin Ferrell does - all are native born speakers (tho' Pierce's accent has been watered down over the years.)

Movie wise, I used Rob Roy, Secret of Roan Inish, and Braveheart.  You could also rent Dancing at Luanasa (spelling?) Then, I mixed in Celtic Music singers (Ashley McIssac, Clannad, Enya, Sinnead O'Connor, etc).  Green Linnet is a good clearing house for Irish Music and on their 20th Anniversary set, they do have 1 track that is an older Irish man actually speaking.

Once you figure out what accent you want and gather your resources, the real work of practice, practice, practice begins.  Myself and friends usually go to a store and before we walk in, we decide 'where' we are from.  And the whole time we are in there, we speak like we think a native would.  It is fun and a good exercise, even if you flub up.  And the beauty is, no one has to know you have flubbed up!

Good luck with your endeavors!
Emerald
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

McGuinness

I just realized, I forgot one of the best Elizabethan "resources" anywhere, what was I thinking?!

BlackAdder, Season 2.

Its set during the Elizabethan period but don't expect historical accuracy (c'mon, its a BBC show!). The dialects are good though and its just plain hilarious!

DuCoeur

I am having trouble with my french accent...It is coming across as a bit Cajun. or Inspector Clouseau (From the original pinck panther movies).

I have tried listening to Depardeau...buit he is too over the Top.  Jean Reno, and Olivier Martinez is closer to what I am going for...
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

anne of oaktower

For anyone who is truly a die-hard about their desired accent, try ordering CDs from either of these sites:

www.dialectresource.com/

www.paulmeier.com/

We have a Scottish CD from Gillian Lane-Plescia (the first link above), and she is very thorough.  It goes step by step, teaching you how to form the various vowel and consonant sounds of each dialect.  It is a handy tool to have.

A general search on google for dialect CDs or accent CDs will turn up plenty of sites.  Good Luck!
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

King Henry Tudor

Great suggestions by everyone, I really have nothing to add as far as source material.  I will say, though, that I am in full favor of using films and audio books as reference and source for various accents.  It truly helps to be able to actually hear an accent rather than just reading how one is done.

A tip I will pass along is something our Dialect Coach at MiRF says and that is to have a keyword or keyphrase that helps you trigger your accent.  This is a word or words that you say outloud in your chosen accent that mentally switches you over to start speaking in that accent.  It can be something as simple as your character's name or repeating a limerick.  With practice, some people can instantly get into their accent without any verbal queues simply by thinking in their accent (like the classic line from the Clint Eastwood film Firefox, "You must think in Russian!").

I'm also a believer of person's cultural history having a bearing on what accent(s) they can do well.  I've found people with English backgrounds can pick up an English or Irish accent fairly easy, perhaps even Scottish or Welsh, too.  People with Italian backgrounds are naturals with that accent and pretty good with Spanish, and those with a Slavic history are good at German, Russian, Romanian, and other such accents.  French accents can be very difficult for anyone but having some French blood doesn't hurt there as well.  Of course, these are all just my opinion as some people have "the gift" and can learn any accent (oooo, I envy them!).
King Henry Tudor VIII
King of England and Wales
Mid-Michigan Renaissance Festival

Valiss

I have a CD set for actors call Acting With An Accent.  It teaches Proper British, Cockney, Australian, Scottish and an Irish accent from a lingusitic expert.  Check it out!

Madge Estes

Quote from: DuCoeur on June 29, 2008, 08:43:28 AM
I am having trouble with my french accent...It is coming across as a bit Cajun. or Inspector Clouseau (From the original pinck panther movies).

I have tried listening to Depardeau...buit he is too over the Top.  Jean Reno, and Olivier Martinez is closer to what I am going for...

Try some of Catherine Deneuve's films.
Live so your dreams recognize you.

DuCoeur

Quote from: Madge Estes on July 11, 2008, 04:17:23 PM

Would the Hunger count???  I will look into that.  I have also been watching the Crow:city of angels over and over listening to Vincent Perez....
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

Dev

Quote from: Sir William Sargent on July 11, 2008, 01:50:19 PM
Great suggestions by everyone, I really have nothing to add as far as source material.  I will say, though, that I am in full favor of using films and audio books as reference and source for various accents.  It truly helps to be able to actually hear an accent rather than just reading how one is done.

A tip I will pass along is something our Dialect Coach at MiRF says and that is to have a keyword or keyphrase that helps you trigger your accent.  This is a word or words that you say outloud in your chosen accent that mentally switches you over to start speaking in that accent.  It can be something as simple as your character's name or repeating a limerick.  With practice, some people can instantly get into their accent without any verbal queues simply by thinking in their accent (like the classic line from the Clint Eastwood film Firefox, "You must think in Russian!").

I'm also a believer of person's cultural history having a bearing on what accent(s) they can do well.  I've found people with English backgrounds can pick up an English or Irish accent fairly easy, perhaps even Scottish or Welsh, too.  People with Italian backgrounds are naturals with that accent and pretty good with Spanish, and those with a Slavic history are good at German, Russian, Romanian, and other such accents.  French accents can be very difficult for anyone but having some French blood doesn't hurt there as well.  Of course, these are all just my opinion as some people have "the gift" and can learn any accent (oooo, I envy them!).
I asked my manager since he was into theatre through college.  He said something about the phrase that enters into the accent.

He said when I start losing my accent say, "Een Sveeden, vee do eet like dees..."  It helps kind of, but I'm a bit shy about looking dumb like the person who speaks in a British accent, and other people upon their leaving snicker back and forth, "He said he's from London...he kind of sounds like he's from Liverpool, but sounds Australian, because he called me 'mate'  He's doing it wrong!"

brier patch charlie

I just wanted to thank all you who had some in put on this page, because you have all answered a question that I have had for a long time, were can I find tape or cd's to help with ascents. Now I have and I just ordered one. So to all Thank You.
Charles Coleman

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Madge Estes on July 11, 2008, 04:17:23 PM

There are a couple of other movies that you could try, but neither are rennie films they are westerns

The first is Vera Cruz and has in it that gorgeous hunk of french fluff Denise Darcell

The second is a jimmy stewart western called(I think) The Far Country with Corrine Calvert

Denise Darcell also starred in a movie called Flame of India if you can find it.   
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Katie Bookwench

Another thing that might seriously sell your accent is using words in that language, and picking up a few basic phrases to use while on the street. Sometimes speaking in the language and learning the proper pronunciation of words gives you a clue as to what sounds would carry over when the native speaker attempted English.

For instance the short vowel sounds in German in words like good, or and. They are much more gutteral, and the consanants are stronger in the native-- goot and oont

The only trouble with this is that eventually, you'll run into is someone who is fluent in your accent language of choice. You might want to prepare yourself for that situation, or it'll get a tad embarrassing.  ;)

Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

Lady Renee Buchanan

My husband is British, born and raised and spent all his life there until we got married.  He has been told more than once in our faire-going history to drop the fake accent because it sounds ridiculous.

I don't even bother with accents (of course, we are not on cast, that makes a difference) because being from New Jersey, I'll never get past saying "foive" and "wauk the dawg."
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Nikita

Ever Scot I know, without exception, regales Braveheart and Scotty from Star Trek as the most laughable accents being passed as Scottish.

"Love Actually" has Liam Nesson nicely in his native brough (sp) very good for northeastern Ireland, if i recall the region properly.  Apparently, Brad Pitt is rockin' good in "the Devil's Own" for Belfast/Northwest Ireland.  Interviews with U2 are also very good to listen to for south Ireland.

I suffer from Roullette Accent.  I go from Russian to Irish to Scottish in hours and beers...
Everyday is a challenge and gift

PrincessSara

I have this talent at being able to mimic voices (mostly just ones that are nowhere near Canadian) but not to make up my own.  For example, I can quote lines from Lord of the Rings almost exactly as the actors say them, but if I try a phrase that an actor didn't say, I sound like a dork.  It's weird but I can maneuver my vocal chords around things I've heard but I can't make them do anything new.  I sound like such a tool when I try to put an accent on.

Also, I apparently do a really good Treebeard impersonation in my sleep.  Can't do it when I'm awake though.  :D

SandrineDeLaTombe

It's funny, I've the French and English accent down.  But Irish eludes me. I end up sounding like I'm impersonating Sean Connery trying to do an Irish accent.

For the poster asking about the French accent, Julie Delpy is a French actress who has done several American movies.  Her accent is pronounced, but very easy to understand.
I aim to misbehave

Annastina

Another good Scottish source is a TV show available on Netflix. "Hamish MacBeth" is sort of a cross between Northern Exposure and any British murder mystery.  Monarch of the Glen is ok, but I like Hamish much better.  After one disc, it won't be hard to at least think with an accent, and it's helped me with some vowel pronunciations.  I'll never be able to roll my r's, tho.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

BLAKDUKE

Another good source that is readily available on tv is the french vampire in the 'Librarian' Curse of the Judas Chalice.  It may not the best but it sounds good.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Cateyes

This site helps me when I want to change my faire accent for a new persona.
http://web.ku.edu/~idea/dialectmap.htm

lys1022

I second the recommendation for the Acting with an Accent series.  It was recommended to me many years ago by Miguel of Don Juan and Miguel when I was trying to improve one of my accents, and I've found it to be invaluable.

Another suggestion if you're trying to get a decent and UNDERSTANDABLE Scots is to get some Billy Connelly comedy CD's and talk along with them.  Believe me, I know it works.  I spent a solid six months listening to Billy Connelly every time that I was in the car with my hubby when he was developing his Scots.  (I learned to hate the poor comedian for a while!).

For English, there's also "The Well Tempered Dialect" as a decent overview kind of CD.  Acting with an Accent goes into a lot more detail regarding the placement of the sounds, but WTD is a nice basic beginner's accent resource.

http://www.penztv.com/index.html

Lys
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Fast Eddie Seymour

Thanks for the plug Lys!

For those of you who are interested, The Well Tempered Dialect is now available via MP3 download from either Amazon or I-Tunes, or you can get a CD from Cafe Press.
Go to   www.welltempereddialect.com  to take a look at the script or to listen to samples.

Happy listening!