News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How would you deal with this type of situation?

Started by captainruby, July 06, 2010, 12:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlas

Why not go along with his "act" and then turn it on him--and have the ladies parade him about--since it is not planned nor scripted--what harm would there be with that?   ;D

Turnabout is fair play or something to that effect.

j/k -- it does not sound like the OP knows just how far the vendor would go.

In all seriousness--even though his intentions may not be as dark as it seems like--at the moment. I think predators or any other serious offenders started out with intentions not as dark as well. And the longer this behaviour is tolerated--the farther he is allowed to press with no repercussions -- the farther he may push.

I agree with the other posters that if the faire authorities will not intervene--then local police will need to be notified.

If this was some store manager at a mundane store suggesting to a group of high school girls that they participate in an "innocent" act to drum up business--I am pretty sure most of us would be on the phone with authorities. Just because this is at a "theme" faire does not change morals or our actions/decisions.

Valiss

Ginette

Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Carlthebarker

This would be my best advice too. He sounds creepy. Faires are for families not pedephiles.

Quote from: will paisley on July 06, 2010, 01:51:10 PM
Quote from: Dinobabe on July 06, 2010, 01:43:49 PM
The first thing I would do is tell management.  They may be more understanding than you think.  It sounds like the behavior is borderline sexual harassment if not already and I would make that very clear.  This poses a threat, esp to the child (and yes, 15 is still very much a child).  Does the girl's mother know about this?  The entire court?  The entire faire?  Let the word get around.

That was my first thought.  Let the vendor coordinator know and odds are they'll drop him like a hot potato.  If they think letting a single vendor go would be "bad for business", you can let them know how much worse for business a lawsuit (or criminial prosecution) would be.

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: Valiss on July 29, 2010, 01:05:12 PM
Was this ever resolved?

Since I can't remember the password to my alter-ego, I'm outing myself... Our faire started up this past weekend, and so far, he's left the princess alone. He wants to do "something" for the Queen's birthday, but not a word has been mentioned about capturing the princess, as far as I know. Two more weekends left, so we'll see if that changes. If it does, I'll be talking to management. The good news is that our management seems to be more responsive this year, as he finally put a lifetime ban on a pesky patron on Saturday (this is the one that was taking clandestine photos up women's skirts!).

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I was worried that I was just "seeing" things, and I'm grateful that others also think that this isn't right. You all are the best!

Merlin

This story is extra creepy for me because the EXACT thing happened to my daughter at Scarby.

Do you know if this person was at Scarby as well?

Feel free to PM me any details on this guy.... it caused a big scene at Scarby this year and me and a few burly Scots were getting close to pounding this guy.

(my daughter is 15)
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Dinobabe

I would tell management anyway.  There may be some minor complaints you don't know about.  Your complaint could be the difference between it happening to someone else (or the same person) or not before he is banned.  I don't take chances with psychos! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Poldugarian Warrior

Harlas had a good one, turn the whole act on him, and tell him it can't be for no 30MIN, but maybe 5 or 10, and he'd better have a damn good script. If his intentions are to have a real act, then he will write up a script, and make his intentions fully known. If not, he's just a weirdo, and needs to be banned from faire, and go to a shrink.  But, before even allowing him the chance to get close to the girls, tell management, and let them set up some security, and watch what he does. Let us know what happens.

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: Poldugarian Warrior on September 13, 2010, 04:13:46 AM
Harlas had a good one, turn the whole act on him, and tell him it can't be for no 30MIN, but maybe 5 or 10, and he'd better have a damn good script. If his intentions are to have a real act, then he will write up a script, and make his intentions fully known. If not, he's just a weirdo, and needs to be banned from faire, and go to a shrink.  But, before even allowing him the chance to get close to the girls, tell management, and let them set up some security, and watch what he does. Let us know what happens.
We've told him that every year, but he always:
1. never contacts our director ahead of time,
and
2. never, ever has a script, or even anything at all with a beginning, ending, or even a reason.

We completely avoided this merchant this year. The princess and I didn't step foot in his shop, and if we had to walk past it, we focused on the shops across from his. Because of this, we had no problems with him, and just gave him no opening at all to banter or even talk with us.

Now, 6 months until the next festival...

stonebiscuit

Well, while I'm glad the situation didn't present itself again this season, I'm sorry you had to work so hard to keep things safe.

Poldugarian Warrior

Yep, total weirdo, it's one thing if he can do an ad lib act, but come up with somethin even through talks without a script. But, you did the right thing by ignoring him. Hope the situation never worsens, and just goes away totally.

marirengrl

Wow, that was reeeeeally creepy. I'm surprised the faire itself hasn't had the creep arrested or ousted.

jcbanner

Not sure how I missed this over the summer..

Anyhow, as a former member of managment for my home faire, I can firmly say that this is a type of issue that I would deffinately want to hear about.  Faire is a great time to loosen boundaries and have fun, but there is only so far that some boundaries can be pushed.  It sounds like this guy is taking it way too far.

I'm not going to jump the bandwagon that he must be a child molester or on his way to becoming one, but it is clear that he is making pepole very uncomfortable.  I've seen this ploy a few times, and normally it is a very misguided attempt to play with someone. It is still inapropriate though.

This goes for anyone that has an issue like this.  First talk to the person to let them know it is not apropriate. (if under age, or otherwise not wanting to confront him, feel free to have the most intimidating person you know there to talk for you.

Also let someone on management know what is going on.  They will likely stop by to have a "chat" with the person.  if they continue after this, let management know again.  and they will step up their actions.

The first goal at faire is for people to have fun. To do that, they need to feel they are in a safe environment.  That is why whenever I hear about something like this, it became first priority.  If you don't feel safe around this person and feel you have to change your behavior to avoid him, then patrons could pick up on that.  Happy patrons come back, unhappy patrons don't.  And there is always the risk of losing performers, which we hate to lose more then we hate losing a few patrons.

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

"And there is always the risk of losing performers, which we hate to lose more then we hate losing a few patrons."

From your mouth to Gods ears!

Some of the Faire management we've dealt with think that performers are like disposable ketchup packets. Just open a new packet.  Not all by any means , but some.
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

jcbanner

Quote from: Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter on January 05, 2011, 02:51:03 PM
"And there is always the risk of losing performers, which we hate to lose more then we hate losing a few patrons."

From your mouth to Gods ears!

Some of the Faire management we've dealt with think that performers are like disposable ketchup packets. Just open a new packet.  Not all by any means , but some.

I can't speak for everyone, so I'd by lying if I said that wasn't true, but if a performer brings patrons through the gate, we typically want to keep them.