News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

hmmm, so option 2; purchasing garb from the faire... what to expect..

Started by JJames, July 07, 2010, 06:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJames

So, my wife has been working w/ her peasant garb and she's not exactly sure if she is satified w/ the outcome. I dont think it was that she sewed anything incorrectly, however, she is not safisfied w/ the look and pattern of the project. So it may be salvagable, but we are looking to maybe purchasing some or maybe even an entire outfit for her from the faire. Which of course leads to my question; do clothes from the faire tend to run higher than what is on line?, or should be expect about the same? I know that we might be looking at an entire outfit, skirt/s, chemis, bodice... any ideas of how much that may run? And another question, do vendors have places where garb can be tried on? I dont recall seeing anything as such before, however, I guess I didnt really look for the option either. Thank you all so much for your help, it has been quit helpful and I sincerly appreciate your efforts to help us getting started! We are planning to go to Bristol in a couple of weeks.

gem

I've never seen a garbmonger without a changing room. The accomodations aren't terrific; we're talking Faire, here, but there's usually AT LEAST a corner curtained off.

As for prices, they should be comparable to what's on the vendor's website (I've seen both a little more and a little less, or exactly the same). You'll pay more than the cut price ebay vendors, of course. So I'd find out what merchants are at your fair, then check their websites, so you know what to expect. And realize that some of what's available online might not make it to the fair, because these folks are traveling with this stuff, and have to make educated guesses about what's going to sell better to the Fair impulse buying crowd, or they have to cater to Fair restrictions (we have one garbmonger at KCRF who only sells Scottish garb even though they make/offer other things on their site/at other fairs, because that's what management has asked them to stock.).

LadyDracolich

Also, there are other places to purchase fantastic garb online that aren't nearly as costly as what you'll find for a general garb merchant at faire or on their websites.  Personally, I find that if I want quality garb, I will either pay a fortune for it at faire or get it from a few fantastic ladies that do custom stuff for me at a fraction of the price.  I'm always complemented on my garb and it wears rather well.  I'm still wearing the same chemise/skirts/bodices that I've had since 06.  May not sound like a long time, but when considering I wear it like I would my mundane clothing... It's lasted.  On 2 occasions I relented and bought some things at faire.  A silk chemise and silk pirate pants.  Wore the chemise for 2 seasons and it's falling apart.  The silk pants lasted only 1 season.  I mended them several times. :/  I think I paid around 75 a piece for them.

So, my opinion is that you should be careful what you buy at faire.  Not all garb is created equal.  I have my favorite garb vendors at faire, unfortunately they are priced so high I haven't bought anything from them.  So, the fabulous Nikki and lovely Desiree have been my main garb suppliers for the last several years.  I've been very happy with my purchases.
I don't know what you've heard, none of it is factual, but it's all true.

Lady Kett

Every garb shop I've been in has had someplace to try something on. It may be an alcove with a sheet hung up as a door, but there is some spot to do so. You will probably have to be on standby duty to hold various and sundry things - fitting rooms are not spacious!

I would also suggest trying to look at ALL the garb shops first before purchasing so you can get a feel for price, quality and styles available. I've fallen in love with a piece at one shop then found a better piece which I love even more at a shop I looked through 2 hours later at the other end of faire. I am also always asking if it's machine washable!

I've not noticed a major price difference between shops at Faire vs online. I love to shop online but honestly prefer to shop from a merchant that I have seen personally so I have some comfort with what I am buying. I stop at every garb shop I see and even if I don't buy anything, ask for business cards which usually have websites.

If I am buying clothing pieces, outside of a bodice, I mentally budget $50 per piece. Hopefully that leaves some change for beer and noms (or to add to the bodice budget), but it gives me a comfy budget.

Bodices are the ladies' expensive, and important, piece in my opinion. I would start there because once you find the right color, pattern, look, etc, then the rest of it pieces together much better. You can easily drop $200 on a bodice. You can also stay well under that if you don't impulse buy. Once you have the bodice then ideas tend to flow on colors, pieces, accessories, concepts. At least that is how my daughter and I work!

I would think you'd be able to get minimum-required add-ons - skirt & chemise - for under $80 (~$40 each). Mind you, it may not be the double-layered multi-colored skirt combo and the "OMG it's PERFECT!" chemise, but I do think you could piece together a basic and serviceable (yet appropriate and one that you love) outfit. 

Bloomers will add another, maybe $40-ish to that? Hats can be all over the place - $30 to $200 depending on what you're looking for, but in the peasant/commoner arena, closer to the $30 I suspect. My words of wisdom for hat purchasing - durability and weather resistance. I have two gorgeous hats that I absolutely love, but they are built from cardboard more or less. If it even LOOKS like it will rain in the next county, I use a different hat.

Sewing your own is much less expensive, and I think gratifying if you have the time and talent. I don't have a lot of time, and have very little talent for sewing so I don't expect I will stop purchasing garb in the near future!

Good luck and keep us posted!

ArielCallista

If you do some preshopping on the vendors websites and she sees something she just MUST have, you can always call the vendor and ask if they will have it at your faire...Most of them won't hold it more than one faire day for you (they can't make money if they don't sell product) but then you can go get it at the beginning of the day. Definitely give every shop a look before making any purchase tho, just in case.

Also, on the dressing room note, think of it this way...are you going to buy something that costs $150 with out being able to try it on? They usually also want you to try it on so they can give you tips and such on the correct way to lace their bodices or something along those lines.

When figuring out budgeting it really depends on what all you'll be getting. Just a bodice, chemise, and skirt won't run you too much but if you want several layers of skirts, shoes, a hat, multiple belts, bloomers, tights etc. you end up running out of money quick!
Skirts and chemises vary hugely from what I have seen. It all depends on the amount of fabric, type of fabric and how complicated it is to make. simple drawstring cotton things are cheaper than silk and skirts with more yardage cost more than a simple circle skirt, etc. Also fabric effects bodice prices too...

If you're worried about making sure you have enough cash on you I know most faires have plenty of vendors who take "Lady Visa and Master of the Card" and if a shop doesn't theres usually an atm somewhere in the faire.

Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.