News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A look in through the sewing room door...

Started by Kate XXXXXX, July 09, 2010, 03:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate XXXXXX

Gem mentioned someone's sewing room in another thread, and I thought it would be fun to see where people actually sew.  Now, I used to be dead lucky and have a designated sewing room.  OK, it's also the guest bedroom and houses the main part of the library, but the primary use was sewing space...  This is no longer the case!  I now have a sewing HOUSE!

As well as the cutting table having taken root in the conservatory, along with the iron and ironing board, there is also a table with a sewing machine and a serger, and a rack with part-made clothing and fabric hanging on it...

The living room has a permanent coating of thread (and beads and sequins this week!) and more part made garments hanging behind the door...  And a box of stash!

There is fabric, notions, and sewing kit in the conservatory, the sewing room, and the living room, machines there and on the landing, and the only truly sewing -free spaces are the bathroom and the kitchen!

Lily is off the bench and waiting a trip to the shop for a badly needed service, so I have 'Nina the 1005 on the bench upstairs, and Bernie the 1150MDA on the serger bench.  The Brother serger and the Husqvarna Optima 190 are on the table downstairs.

With stuff for three weddings and my 18th C kit all going on, plus Victorian stuff for Vicky and Peter, and some background rumblings in the Regency era, I needed some extra space!  And the new 48 hour day!

Here are some pix taken during recent sewing weekends and other projects, just to let you see how it works.

(Su ironing yardage on the cutting table!)

(Sewing in the conservatory)

(Dollies in Frocks!)

Books!

(Bernie Bench)

(Other sewing bench)

Tixi

Genievea Brookstone

I am without a sewing room atm, in the process of moving in with my pirate after two years of weekends only togetherness by distance. He did promies I could have any room in the house to make a sewing room...hmmm....thinking... ;D
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

LadyShadow

I'm waiting for a bigger place to have a sewing area again.  For now I take over the dining room table when I sew.  And all my stuff takes up one wall in the laundry room.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

My seweing area looks like an organized mess.

You put us al to shame, Kate!!!

GORGEOUS 18th Century gowns!!!! I still want to make mine!!
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Aunty Lou

My sewing space is dedicated to me, a part of the basement (finished!)  It's narrow, and to get natural light, I open the closet along the side wall. (It has glassblock windows)  I hang my accumulation of costumes in there, careful to cover them with sheets against fading.  My old trusty Kenmore solid-state sits out all the time on an even older student desk.  There's no cutting table, I use the floor...  Behind me, there's stacks of bins and baskets and an old metal doctor's glass-front bookcase full of patterns and bits.  It's a mess, but I know where everything is and what stage it's in...