News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

For All Newbies To Sewing

Started by auntiegiggles, July 09, 2010, 06:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auntiegiggles

This thread is for all the people who are just starting to sew.  I am new to sewing and proud of my accomplishments but there is no outlet for me to showcase what I have done.  My work is no where near the amazing work done by the vets of sewing - so I do not fit in with their threads (i have tried). 
So I thought it would be nice to have a thread for those of us who are new but not yet accomplished at sewing.  As we develop our talents we can move into the other threads but for now this is where we can show off our latest accomplishments.   ;D  And share our issues and fixes. 

I am excited to see what other newbies are trying!

My latest technique that I have learned is the blind hem.  I messed up the first time - but figured out my issue and corrected it for the second and final attempt. 
Here's the pic of the completed project:

you can see a few mistakes with the sewing - but overall it still turned out just fine.   :D

Everything goes better with giggles

Valencia

Nice job on the hem!! And I love the thread idea! I was certainly scared to post in the main thread, because WOW there is a lot of talent on this board! But everyone here is so nice and supportive, this is such a great community.

Kate XXXXXX

While some of the talent here is awesome, newbies are welcome everywhere.  Anything you need to ask, do.

That blind hem is a brilliant thing, isn't it!  Well done for getting it right and doing it so neatly.

For anyone who hasn't tried it yet, there's a lesson on blind hemming on my web site: http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk/KatePages/Learning/Blind_hemming/blind_hemming_explained.htm

If there are any techniques or processes, fabrics or stitches you want to ask about, just do.  Someone will pop up with an answer soon.   :)  Remember, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!  It's a looooong time since I started sewing (nearly 49 years ago now!), but I still don't know everything and love to learn.  For some of us, the learning of the basics is too long ago to remember, but for me , teaching them to others is a necessity rather than a trouble.

auntiegiggles

Thank you both!  I have been nervous to post what I feel are my accomplishments - although that hasn't stopped me completely!   ;D  I just felt when I did post I was getting lost among all the wonderful talent;  because, my accomplishments are minor compared to everyone else.  I feel its important that newbies to sewing feel as appreciated for their accomplishments as the vets.  We may feel success over small things- like basic technique - but they are important in the earlier stages of learning to sew.   I don't mean to be rude to anyone - but if I felt that way other people may feel the same too.     

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

auntiegiggles!!!

It's the minor techniques you learn in sewing that makes the major differences in workmanship. All steps are learned over time. Not getting over your head in the beginning is what keeps one focused.

You are on your way to becoming an accomplished seamstress. As are all new to sewing.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

LadyFae

Well you KNOW that I think this is a great thread to have!  Just look at how excited I was to use my brand new sewing machine for the first time just the other day- and all I have done so far is a straight stitch!  =)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Kate XXXXXX

A new machine is always exciting.  Enjoy!   :)

LadyFae

LOL, Thanks Kate!  It is my first one ever.  The first time I've ever really even USED one!  My sister and our mother decided that my hand sewing of garb wasn't going to cut it if I contine to make more (and really, why would I stop now?) so my mother bought me a Brother LX-3125e for my birthday.  Nothing fancy but it'll be great for what I'll use it for!  =)  And we all have to start somewhere, don't we?  =)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Kindle

Hi all!

I'm also a newbie to sewing- this is the thread for me! :)

I don't have a working machine yet. I've been hand sewing for years, but my carpal tunnel is starting to get to me. My mom gave me a Singer Traditional for Christmas one year, but it has NEVER worked. Reading around online has lead me to believe it's not user error, it's bad design.

So, I'll be looking for a machine. :) I grew up using my mom's Kenmore from the 70s, so I'll probably look for something like that on craigslist.

Y'all are such an inspiration for me! I can't wait to get my garb underway! I'm going to TRF for the first time this year, and am so excited about starting my clothes.  ;D

I can't find a pattern I like, though. Any suggestions of easy patterns for a plus size girl?

Kate XXXXXX

There's nothing to beat starting your garb making career than a simple Wench Kit.  Use the pattern on http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/chemise.html for a simple chemise, and you can cut it as long as you like.  Then you can do a simple two widths of fabric and a waistband for a skirt.  I stiffen the waistband with a nice interfacing and pleat the fabric onto it for a less bulky effect.  For a simple bodice, take a look at this pattern:    http://www.gryphonsmoon.com/PAT-002.item  It's not historically accurate, but it is a good starting point.  Once you have mastered the machine and have some sewing skills to play with, you can start being more historically accurate if you want to go that route.

For ideas on seam types, take a look at my page here: http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk/KatePages/Learning/Seams/seam_types.htm.  There are also some ideas on seam finishes here: http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk/KatePages/Learning/Seams/seam_finishing.htm and some hems here: http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk/KatePages/Learning/hemming/hems_at_the_end.htm .  And for hemming up the skirt on the machine, this page: http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk/KatePages/Learning/Blind_hemming/blind_hemming_explained.htm

If there's anything you need more info on, just holler!   :D

auntiegiggles

Wonderful advice Kate!  Thank you. 

Kindle - good luck with your project and finding a new machine.  My mom-in-law bought mine from walmat.  Its a basic brother and sells for about $80.  It works well for me.  Make sure you post pics when you are done and along the way!  I am very excited to see how it turns out  ;D

Dinobabe

And don't forget to check Costco or Sam's Club for good deals on machines.  They often have the higher quality ones MUCH cheaper.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

auntiegiggles

hmm...I may need to get a membership to one of them!   ;D

Dinobabe

Or just know someone with membership.  They take cash from guests and I think checks (but check to make sure).

We save SOOOOOO much money just on gas it is worth it!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

gem

Quote from: auntiegiggles on July 12, 2010, 07:52:06 AM
Kindle - good luck with your project and finding a new machine.  My mom-in-law bought mine from walmat.  Its a basic brother and sells for about $80.  It works well for me. 

My first machine was an $80 Walmart Brother, too!  They're great little workhorses that will sew through anything and take a lot of swearing and abuse.  ;D