News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

For All Newbies To Sewing

Started by auntiegiggles, July 09, 2010, 06:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auntiegiggles

LOL!  That's for sure Gem.  I've only been sewing on my machine since January and its definitely taking a beating!  ;D
Everything goes better with giggles

gem

One of the things that was invaluable to me about my Brother was that it was kind of persnickety about tension and things, and in the first few years I had it, it would jam up a lot (before I learned to hold the tails of my thread when sewing the first stitches and to change my needle with every new project). So I learned how to take it completely apart, disassemble the bobbin mechanism, clean the whole thing, and put it back together again. It gave me a working understanding of the machine that I might not have had with a higher-end model.

Kindle

Thanks for the welcome, and the pattern suggestions!! Kate, your links are wonderful!

Still no machine yet. I have a non faire shirt cut and ready to sew, and it's frustrating having to wait!  :D I wish my Singer would work! It sits on my sewing table, mocking me.  >:(

One of the things I'm wrestling with is the desire to be as H/A as possible. I'm a rather neurotic perfectionist in some ways.  :P I keep having to tell myself that no one is going to snark me out of faire if I'm not H/A.  :o

gem

Why wait?  Sew it by hand. If you're wanting to be more H/A with your garb anyway, hand-sewing should definitely be in your repertoire. You'll need it for things like skirt hems, fine finishing work, and cartridge pleating anyway, so why not practice now with seams, facings, etc on a mundane shirt?

Kate XXXXXX

Quote from: Kindle on July 14, 2010, 09:23:35 AM
Thanks for the welcome, and the pattern suggestions!! Kate, your links are wonderful!

Still no machine yet. I have a non faire shirt cut and ready to sew, and it's frustrating having to wait!  :D I wish my Singer would work! It sits on my sewing table, mocking me.  >:(

One of the things I'm wrestling with is the desire to be as H/A as possible. I'm a rather neurotic perfectionist in some ways.  :P I keep having to tell myself that no one is going to snark me out of faire if I'm not H/A.  :o

What's wrong with the Singer?

Kindle

Oh, the Singer. It won't pick up the thread from the bobbin- the upper thread gets caught on two (!) parts of the bobbin mechanism and makes a huge mess in the bobbin area. I've successfully gotten 10 stitches from that machine. Looking around online, it's not just a problem I have.

So, I've been thinking more about what Gem said- about just keep hand sewing things. I didn't want to do that because my carpal tunnel will act up, but I've got awhile until TRF (we're going the last weekend), so I should have time to get some things done by hand.

I'm working on a skirt right now. I just need to sew up the waistband and then it's ready to go. It started life as a valance I found at Goodwill for $2!

auntiegiggles

QuoteI'm working on a skirt right now. I just need to sew up the waistband and then it's ready to go. It started life as a valance I found at Goodwill for $2!

I love giving new life to old fabrics!  Fae (my sis) has a skirt that used to be drapes   ;D

LadyFae

And I think that I may use some of the extra for a sling for Babygirl.  Though at the rate she is going she will be walking by Fest.  (I can only hope!)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Rosamundi

Aha! I go out of town for a few days and this great thread emerges! I'm a newbie too; started sewing in May.  I just finished a jerkin that's really too simple to brag about in Finished Projects . . .

. . . except that I learned One Big Thing:

You can't turn a bodice inside out after sewing shut the arm, neck, AND shoulder closures. Trust me. I tried. I really really tried.

But eventually I had to face the music, cut away nearly all the seams, and make bound seams all around instead. :-P
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

auntiegiggles

QuoteYou can't turn a bodice inside out after sewing shut the arm, neck, AND shoulder closures. Trust me. I tried. I really really tried.

i did something similar to the first chemise i made!

Feel free to post a pic of your jerkin on this thread.  i started this thread so we could see the newbies work too!   ;D 

LadyFae

Yes you sure did Giggles!  LOL!  Thats ok, I fixed it for you!  =)  Trust me, Rosamundi, we've ALL been there!
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

auntiegiggles

This was my first attempt at cartridge pleating.  Amanda once again saved my butt.  I attached the waistband  the wrong way; but she attached the band properly for me  ;D  Go figure I did ok with with the pleating but something simple as attaching a waistband I screw up!  LOL!  That's how it goes.   :D

Butch

Kindle, turn the dial to make your threads farther apart.  Maybe also loosen the tension.  I have two Singers (and a Singer serger).  That usually remedies it for me.

LadyFae

TeeHee!  =)  We all have our strengths, sis!  LOL!!!!
Amanda  =D

rah3214

I for one want to learn more, the costumes/cost so much i have to make my own. my first attempt had jacket with detachable sleeves, pants, shirt and hat. about 40 buttons (never did button holes before) when i got through i had to do it all over, my friend wanted one too, Ha Ha   we got lots of compliments, not bad for a guy!