News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

For All Newbies To Sewing

Started by auntiegiggles, July 09, 2010, 06:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auntiegiggles

Great job!  Doesn't it feel awesome to get so many compliments on something you made!  If you have any pics go ahead and post them  ;D  We'd love to see them.  There are a lot of people to ask questions of here on the forum - so ask away - we love to help!   :D
Everything goes better with giggles

auntiegiggles

I think its time to resurrect this thread.  Any newbies to sewing out there?  Show us your stuff!  I can guarantee we won't snub you because of your lack of experience.  I only have a 1.5 years of sewing experience under my belt.  But I have made 3 noble gowns (complete with boning!)  So show us your stuff!         ;D  :D

LadyFae

Psst! Show us your gowns Giggles!
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

saphire_glade

I like pretty things. I will have to post my new dress when I am done... so far I just have fabric and a pattern for it. but I like pretty dresses... much like LadyFae and auntiegiggles make. They are beautifully done gowns btw you two :)
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

auntiegiggles

Saphire you can post the gown in progress as well.  You don't have to wait for it to be a finished product.  So post away!  I would love to see your new gown in progress  ;D

LadyFae

Quote from: saphire_glade on September 01, 2011, 10:00:20 PM
I like pretty things. I will have to post my new dress when I am done... so far I just have fabric and a pattern for it. but I like pretty dresses... much like LadyFae and auntiegiggles make. They are beautifully done gowns btw you two :)

Aw, thanks hon! :) There is a strange new realm of possibilities now open to you and your garb choices! This could be quite exciting! Best of luck! Keep us updated (and post lots of pictures! I LOVE pictures!) :D
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

PhoenixRose

My first wearable sewing project:

I only started sewing in October of last year, so I'm a total newbie. Best way to learn is to just dive in and do it though! :)

LadyFae

Well done, Phoenix! :) Looks great! I totally agree that the best way to learn is to just jump on in! :) Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!!! :D
Amanda  =D

auntiegiggles

Great job PhoenixRose!  You both look fabulous!   ;D

Marietta Graziella

Hurray newbie sewing thread!  I rarely post in the finished garb thread because my stuff is NOT historically accurate, uses short cuts, doesn't fit perfectly, and is usually made of wild colors, but it's mine, I made it, and I'm proud of it none the less. 

Still, there are some that have forgotten that everyone has to start sewing some time and we all learn at different speeds and have different levels of comfort in perfection.

Bring us your not-quite-straight seems, slightly off pattern matches, creative alterations to exhisting items, and totally LOVE-WHAT-I-MADE!! garb projects!!
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Anna Iram

I like this thread too. A place for first projects to really shine. :)

auntiegiggles

MG you always look amazing.  I do believe we are always our own worst critics.

This is a great place to post even if it is not your first project. Especially, for those of us who are not professional seamstresses.     ;D

Lady De Rue Rue

Thank you so much for starting this thread.  I guess I could say I am a newbie to sewing but, I have a lot of past experience sewing and tailoring that I have lost over the years, from completely stopping sewing. 

I just went through a whole sewing machine situation only to find out the machine was defective and it was not me.  Not sure if I am ready to buy another machine yet, just due to the stress of dealing with a bad machine.

I hope to start a small project soon when I am ready to buy a new machine and start over again.

auntiegiggles

Lady De Rue Rue - good luck in finding another machine when you are ready. What kind of machine did you buy before? We had a brief discussion on here a while back on sewing machines.  I'm not sure if that will help you at all.   

irish

well, nothing beats some thread and needle!
i hand sew all of my garb.....skirts, bodices and chemise. if i want something i know i have no talent for, i will just buy it.
like someone said, it isn't perfectly made, but, I made it!!
:D
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)